2K defensive army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2K defensive army

I have been using Quannums balanced list with some sucess recently and my very offensive army of caledor with mixed sucess. I wanted to get back to a defensive army that can perform credibbly on the battlefield. My defensive chracian army list did not perform as expected. below is the new army list I have most of these models and i would be greatfull for any opinions advice about improving this list.
    Prince, bow of the seafarer , barded elven steed heavy armour shield lance 251pts
    noble reaver bow heavy armour shield lance barded elven steed 151pts
    Mage Lvl2 ring of fury silver wand 185pts
    Mage Lvl2 jewel of dusk 150pts
    3 x 10 archers
    3 repeater bolt throwers
    10 white lions
    10 white lions
    5 dragon princes + musician
    5 shaddow warriors
    5 shaddow warriors
    total 1987 pts
    obviously the list concentrates heavily on firepower but the DP's and WL's can provide a tough defence should any opponents get through the wall of fire. The prince and noble can accompany the DP's against tough opponents that manage to get through to my baseline.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x1)

Glad to see my list is holding out for you. Can't win them all though, hehe.

This list looks actually very playable. You're probably going to have to castle your archers in a corner though and shoot the crap out of everything that comes near. One tip though, fire concentration. Don't shoot several units at multiple targets. Shoot all at one if in range, and move on once they're cooked or not a threat any more.

The only things that concern me are the vulnerability of your archers, (and if they start dying you've got problems), the hugely powerful unit of Dragon Princes, and the composition of your White Lions. Try and squeeze in one more White Lion and use three units of seven. If used wisely, they can be nigh unstoppable.

You also have no dispel scrolls so be prepared to succumb to a fair few bomb spells.

Q
    Was this post helpful? Please click the Thumbs Up button to the left if it was. Cheers!

Quannum, funkin' out in every way. Since 1987.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

poor terrain or poor deployment will ruin your day. I still think a fast moving army could tear this up. Bc then it would come down to can he pass his panic tests before you can shoot him down. It's like one of those old westerns, you're the pioneers with the wagons circled and the savages bearing down you, ready to eat archers and RBTs for dinner. Except the savages may be empire knights/brets with super armor or fast moving, hard hitting multi wound ogres/minotaurs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I plan to fort up in one corner initally using the effectively 4 repeater bolt throwers to force the enemy to come to me. Hopefull 2 units of shaddow warriors might slow most of them down enough for the firepower to decimate them before they get to my lines. If any do the prince and the noble will join the DP's and charge any remaining with the white lions as back up. I will replace 1 unit of archers with another repeater bolt thrower (giving effectively 5 RBT's) and get the extra WL to make 3 units of 7. As an aside your list hasn't lost yet quannum. its beaten an empire and dwarf army by turn 4 and beaten for the first time our groups gold standard vampire counts army (but only just!).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x1)

Good results!

And a nice tactic. Just pray to the dice gods before every game!

Q
    Was this post helpful? Please click the Thumbs Up button to the left if it was. Cheers!

Quannum, funkin' out in every way. Since 1987.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

160 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by aenar View Post
    I plan to fort up in one corner initally using the effectively 4 repeater bolt throwers to force the enemy to come to me. Hopefull 2 units of shaddow warriors might slow most of them down enough for the firepower to decimate them before they get to my lines. If any do the prince and the noble will join the DP's and charge any remaining with the white lions as back up. I will replace 1 unit of archers with another repeater bolt thrower (giving effectively 5 RBT's) and get the extra WL to make 3 units of 7. As an aside your list hasn't lost yet quannum. its beaten an empire and dwarf army by turn 4 and beaten for the first time our groups gold standard vampire counts army (but only just!).
    why would a bunch of elves want to become dwarves? That defeats the whole purpose of being elves and having movement 5

Terrain can still kill you. If you grab one corner, what's to keep him from grabbing the other corner and hiding from you behind terrain. That's what I would do, just to discourage this kind of play. No one likes to play a gunline. (dwarves have an excuse for being castled ~ you don't)

What would be extra pitiful for you is if your opponent had a couple of stone throwers or cannons. In their corner (providing the terrain doesn't block LOS), they can shoot you, but you can't reach them. Then you'll spend 2 turns getting hammered before you're able to shoot, or several turns trying to get out of the corner and into some position to assault his castle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

172 (x7)

I kind of agree with Buckero0, elves aren't meant to be defensive and while this list may take some by surprise I think that it is a one-trick pony. Even Dwarfs would be able to mess you up with a unit of miners+thane with RoBrotherhood. Not to mention Dwarf castle trumps High Elf castle any day.

Though, if you want to use the list a funny thing to do would be to replace the stuff on your prince with Bow of the Seafarer, Shadow Armor, and a great weapon. Deploy him with a shadow warrior unit and start bolt throwing flanks right away, then the great weapon makes the unit decent in CC too.
    "I am the architect of fate!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with bukeroo, but i like experimental army lists and extreems. I believe that a balnced army lsit like those of Quannum and Demandred are the way to go for tournamnts and most games i just like trying the extreems and challenging peoples perceptions of what makes a good army list. This list has been tested in 4 games so far with mixed sucess and yes it did lose against the dwarfs but it destroyed a wood elf and empire armies and produced a draw against th vampire counts. I dont think, after extensive battle testing of this and the chracian dfensive army, that in this edition of the cadex the elves perform very well as a purely defensive army. Possibly agressive defence but i think that a balanced list is definitely the way to go.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

160 (x7)

the only thing I see this being good for, is smacking a friend. When I first started playing, I would play one guy and get spanked royally. After seeing what I did wrong and seeing what my opponent had, I would make a nasty (one or two note) list and try to play him the next week. Inevitably, I would end up playing someone completely different with an entirely different list. That's just the way our club plays, you never know who's going to show up and who you're going to end up being paired with, unless you make arrangements earlier. So I learned, that instead of making a really hard list, for a few types of armies, I had to learn to play better with a balanced list and figure out how to handle different types of armies/matchups.

Now, please don't take that vignette the wrong way ~ I'm not saying you're new, or don't know how to play ~ that's just what it reminds me of. If you've got a grudge match with a friend, sometimes it's fun to make a completely different type of list, just to jack with your friend. So go ahead and make some different lists. In reality, the main reasons I don't like this type of list for me, is because for me the fun part of the game is the maneuvers. I like moving (why I can't play dwarves and even humans sometimes), the other reason is, I roll 3-4 1's to hit and to wound everytime i try to shoot something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No offense taken, as i said i just wanted to see how far you could develope a totally monofaceted army and how it would perform in the game. I play amoungst a group of friends (about 20 of us) and we randomly assign our opponents each month. I do not believe a defensive HE army works with this ed of th army book. I generally fight with a balanced list. I fought with a HE army for about 5-6 years but not often under the previous ed of the army book primarily due to work commitments. I am now fortunate to be able to game 1-2 a week and sometimes a couple of times at the weekend as well. This army list will not progress any further as I have said previously i don't believe HE defensive armies are particularly effective / or actually much fun to play with!

+ Reply to Thread