2000pts for friendly games - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x4)

2000pts for friendly games

right i've udated.

i havn't had a game yet and my army list is just for looks really, i wanted white lions, phoenix guard, swordmasters and dragon princes i love all the models, its hard to fit it in but its something like this . i want to keep all these units so i can't alter my list much but tell me how it would cope in a game please, should i put in a unit of ellyrian reavers for my current chariot and eagle?

----characters----

Mage lv 2 (various magic items)

Mage lv2 (various magic items)

----core----

15 spearmen (full command)

10 archers

----special----

15 lion guard (full command)

15 swordmasters (full command)

15 phoenix guard (full command)

5 dragon princes (full command)

5 dragon princes (full command)

1 tiranoc chariot

----rare----

2 bolt throwers

1 great eagle

Last edited by DoctorDogmeat; December 23rd, 2007 at 18:39. Reason: updated to new codex

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

firstly, I would get a copy of the new army book.
    I would secondly look at some of the lists published under this section. They'll give you a good idea of some of the units and their usual strengh. But the main reason, is so that you know the rules and whether your army is legal or not. As some friendly advice, cavalry usually works best in 5-6 total numbers, otherwise you're wasting points on ineffective models or your unit is too unwieldy to maneuver.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x4)

right i've updated, i'm so pleased with the new codex! i can't believe it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x1)

Its nice to see a list that tries to get in as much flavour as possible so good job on that front.

You've gone for an effective medium-powered magic phase I see, however without the specific items there's no way we can help you there. I'd suggest having a particular look at the Annulian Crystal, Jewel of the Dusk, Ring of Fury, Seerstaff of Saphery and the Silver Wand. In your case, I'd say the Ring of Fury, JewelofDusk and the Silver Wand are pretty much necessary.

Your core looks great so no changes needed there. 8Y

As for your elites units, I'm beginning to sound like a parrot on this forum but really the best formation for Swordmasters I would have to say is two ranks of seven with a banner and musician at least. If you can get a champion in there, give him the Amulet of Light so all their attacks are magical.

White lions work best in smaller, harassing units as they're pretty resilient to most shooting, and they can move through woods so make sure you use that to your advantage. I'd recommend two units of seven White Lions with no upgrades except maybe a Champion, and use these to gun up the flanks and smack booty with their great weapons.

The dragon princes are too loaded up. Really they should be used as a flanking unit, and in conjunction with another charging unit. You don't want these guys hitting a 5x5 block becuase although they will do damage, static combat res will kill them. As such, drop the champion for sure - another attack is not worth the upgrade cost for a Drakemaster, its worth another Phoenix Guard (see next point). Leave the musician on them so they can rally and keep them at five models. For 160 points, you've got one of the best flanking cavalry in the game. The fact you've got two is even better.

Pheonix Guard, (are awesome and don't let anyone tell you otherwise) should be used as a tarpit to tie up your opponents most powerful unit. Their 4+ Ward Save should protect them for a while allowing your other units to mince through their targets and, if needed, turn back and aid the Pheonix Guard. The PG work best in a frontage of seven again, (to maximise the models that can fight against a typical 5x5 unit, but 5 is not bad either. Really the unit should be no smaller than 15, so if you can, squeeze some more in here. Use the points from the Dragon Princes, and the White Lions to do so.

I'd lose the Tiranoc Chariot as they really don't perform well on their own. With those points, I'd buy another Great Eagles, and dump the rest into your PG.

Here's the variation on your list that I would love to run:

Level 2 Mage w/ Jewel of the Dusk/Dispel Scroll - 170 pts.

Level 2 Mage w/ Silver Wand/Dispel Scroll - 165 pts.

15 Spearmen w/ Standard Bearer/Musician - 150 pts.

10 Archers -

14 Swordmasters w/ Full Command/Amulet of Light - 255 pts.

7 White Lions -

7 White Lions -

5 Dragon Princes w/ Musician - 160 pts.

5 Dragon Princes w/ Musician - 160 pts.

19 Pheonix Guard w/ Full Command/Banner of Sorcery - 365 pts.

2 RBThrowers -

1 Great Eagle - X points.

TOTAL - 1995 points with a pretty decent magic phase. Hide one mage in with the PG and another with either of your core choices.

Hope this helps.

Q

;Y

Please do not add points of units that have no upgrades in future. GN
    Last edited by gingerninja; December 23rd, 2007 at 23:20. Reason: Points
    Was this post helpful? Please click the Thumbs Up button to the left if it was. Cheers!

Quannum, funkin' out in every way. Since 1987.

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

The only disagreement I have with the list that Quannium gave you is that I would have 17 Pheonix Guard to give you a 3*6 formation. This would give you the spare points to give the Keeper of the Flame the Skiensliver, which should help you to get the first turn in most games.

This first turn will allow you to get to the battle faster, and let your troops do more damage quickly.

Ninja out
    New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

69 (x1)

Yeah gingerninja's suggestions are good. I tend to favour the 7-wide frontage to maximise the wonders of Always Strikes First, but then again the Skeinsliver is an awesome piece of equipment, especially if you can get your characters on the table before he does thereby giving you +2 to your role.

Q

p.s. sorry about the points cost GN.
    Was this post helpful? Please click the Thumbs Up button to the left if it was. Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great list diverse and characterfull, i agree with everything Quannum and the Ninja have said. i have only two reservations a standard with a unit of only 15 strong spearmen may be giving away points because they will break if charged. Secondly, only one great eagle will be pushed to fullfill its intended role. An exteemly good list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

69 (x1)

Aenar makes a good point.

Perhaps consider dropping the second RBThrower, and with those points buying another Great Eagle, and boosting your Spearmen up to 19/20. Then you can slot a mage in there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have not used the phoenix guard as yet I am still painting them, lots of practice with the white lions and swordmasters though. An alternative could be to drop the standard from the spearmen keep the phoenix guard at 15 give their champion the skiensliver and you would have enough points to get another great eagle eg,
    all as Quannum's list but
    15 spearmen + musician
    15 phoenix guard with full command and banner of sorcery and keeper of the flame with the skiensliver
    2 repeater bolt throwers
    2 great eagles.
    I started this reply by stating i did not have any experience with the phoenix guard under the new codex and I dont know whether 15 is too small numbers wise to prove an effective tarpit so i would accept the advice of Quannum and the Ninja in this matter. Just an option to consider. Great list though!

+ Reply to Thread