1000pt HE tourney army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000pt HE tourney army

Dragon Mage 405ots
    level 2, jewel of dusk

15 spearmen 150pts
    sb, musician

15 spearmen 150pts
    sb, musician

7 swordsmasters

7 swordsmasters

5 Shadow warriors

total: 995pts

Dragon mage provides a very good magic phase and is devistating against most units he will see in a 1000pt game in cc. The spearmen/swordsmaster infantry block/flanker combo should be able to hold the lines against most enemies and the shadow warriors can lesson the rank bonus enemy units get as well as march block as well as annoy missile troops as well as artillery pieces.

So what do you think im entering it in a tourney... i want mainly to have fun but at the same time i want it somewhat competative, so all advice is most welcome.

Last edited by gingerninja; January 22nd, 2008 at 12:09. Reason: points

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

Ive played mostly 2k pt games but have noticed that my units of 15 Sword Masters get shot at ASAP by my enemy bc they dont want them in CC. so im not sure how yours will fent against shooting. units of 7 may just get mowed down early before ever being able to reach the enemy. dont have much experience with the dragon mage but i love the idea of a dragon on the field. not a fan of shadow warriors but i see the use. and the spearmen look good as well though i always use full command, come in handy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree with the previous comments, small units of SM do attract a lot of firepower. In small units WL are more survivable, if you want to keep the SM they would work more effectively ( or at least have a better chance of getting to the enemy) as one unit of 14. I am not a great fan of the DM and nearly 50% of your points are invested in a unit that could be taken out by one average round of goblin bowfire, and there is no garantee that the dragon will go on the rampage it could sit and guard the mages body for he rest of the battle. If you want to go magic heavy at this level (which i dont think works very effectively in small points cost battles) you could get an archmage and still have points to bulk up the units you have or get others! However you have to fight with the army you like so good luck in the tournament.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm actually going to agree with Isao on the dragon. At 1k, a lot of armies don't have an answer other than gang up on it and make it break with CR, and hope they roll high enough to chase it down. Just keep it away from cannon fire and you should be ok. You probably want to just use it just as a disruptor, keeping it out of combat. The terror checks and the breath weapon are really big distractions, and if your opponent really wants to kill it, he'll have to ignore the rest of your troops, which is good for you obviously. You might want to consider dropping one of the musicians from your spearmen units and changing that Jewel of the Dusk for Guardian Phoenix. It's a pity that Dragon Mages aren't allowed to take Armor of Caledor though.

I agree with aenar on the Swordmasters though. You probably are much better off with a unit of 14, and I might seriously consider going to 13 (rank of 7, second rank of 6) and taking the Champion upgrade for the one extra attack to get you to 8. At 13, someone still needs to kill 5 to force a panic check from shooting/magic, and they need to kill at least 2 before combat starts if they want to prevent you from getting a rank bonus.

All in all, not a bad list. I'm wondering though if maybe you'd be better off if you could find a way to drop the Shadow Warriors and squeeze in two Eagles. Much better at march blocking, harder to kill, and you can split them if necessary. You'd need to find 20 points somewhere in addition to dropping the Shadow Warriors, and if you already cut one of the musicians in order to upgrade the Jewel, your only other spot where I can see cutting points is dropping your spearmen standards, and I'm not sure I like that idea.

You may want to keep in mind that you only need 1 core unit for a 1k game... perhaps you might do better having a full 20 spear block with std + mus, and maybe go to 2 blocks of Swordmasters, 12 strong or so, plus your Dragon Mage. Just guess-timating on points here, haven't done the math, but that should leave enough points for an Eagle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the idea about adding the eagles instead of the shadow warriors and taking one huge block of spearmen.

The thing about swordsmasters is that in any remotely large unit they will attract missile fire like nobodies buisiness. In two units of 7 they may attract fire for the easy victory points but this only means that in 1000pts where no one will have mass amounts of shooting that they arent shooting at my dragon for a whole turn.... thats enough time for the dragon to either A get into combat or B charge into that enemy shooting.

The dragon mage gives me 3 pd on one spell and 4 on the other... idk about u but for a 1000pt battle thats insane!!!

Ill think seriously about the great eagle though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure you understood my point about the larger blocks of Swordmasters... at only 7 per, it only takes 2 kills to cause a panic check, and missing just one of those tests is going to royally screw you because now you lose your formation, and everyone has to wait a turn for your wayward panic'ed guys to catch up, or you get out of formation and the Swordmasters won't get where they need to be until turn 5 or 6. Besides, you WANT them to shoot at your dragon! The dragon is relly best as a harassing model which distracts the opponent and gives you time to get across the board. Your troops are better in combat, and it'll be tough to wound the beast with S3 shooting (which will be most of the shooting at 1k). But the reason you want Guardian Phoenix isn't that Jewel isn't good... it's because your rider is very vulnerable. He has no save whatsoever when you buy him, and you can't take armor to improve that. A relatively smaller point: you don't really need to cast anything on 4 dice except Conflagration or Wall of Fire, and with your particular army, you should be swapping Wall of Fire for Flaming Sword against almost everyone; 3 dice is plenty for everything else.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

nah, most good small point armies have lots of shooting. Which means, the dragon mage dies turn one, the swordmasters are taking panic tests turn 2. The spearmen will get surrounded. The only way to escape is if you get control of your dragon afterwards (not frenzied) and can use it to take out smaller shooting units. Dragon only has ldship 7 I think so you ahve a 57% of passing your monster reaction.

If you don't want to change your list much, at least get your dragon mage set up like this

DM - guardian phoenix, sword of might, silver wand (gives him 3 spells to cast on effectively 7 dice - hope you get burning head, 2D6 mm, and sword of rhuin)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, lets revise this a little bit. Im using a dragon mage because I love the tactical options it provides despite how frail it is, and in a 1000pt battle I think it has more applications than in most. But thats my only real requirement in this list...

Dragon Mage 410pts.
    Guardian Phoenix, level 2

18 spearmen 177pts
    sb, m

18 spearmen 177pts
    sb, m

6 PG 90pts

6 Shadow Warriors 96 pts

1 Great Eagle 50pts

1000pts
    Alt...

Dragon Mage 385pts
    Guardian Phoenix, silver wand

Commander 138pts
    Shadow Armour, Gem of Courage, Great Weapon, Long Bow(i feel one needs fluff even in tourneys)

13 Archers 143pts

6 Shadow Warriors 96 pts

6 Shadow Warriors 96 pts

6 Swordsmasters 90pts

1 Great Eagle 50pts

998pts

The first one doesnt seem all that great to me and the second one... well youre all probably going to say its just about unplayable, but the second one has a curtain charm to me... It would require flawless tactics and is probably damn near impossible to use against curtain types of armies but it almost, just almost seems worth it...

Comments, please for a tourney on saturday! Tell me what I can do to critique what is here or how amazing they are (that i doubt) or if you just want to laugh at me for my stupidity and stuborness in insisting that i have a dragon in a 1000pt army.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

Dragon Mage this guy has to be lvl2 to make the magic phase work at all.
    Guardian Phoenix, silver wand

Commander 138ptsif you're going this route, get your commander the reaver bow and a shield, heavy armor, grt wpn and have him stand back in the trees and pick off stuff. You'll want to pick your battles carefully though and mainly shoot the enemy to pieces. I'd also get a RBT instead of the Eagle. And bulk up the shadow warriors a bit and let them march block and whittle the enemy down or keep them guessing so that the DM can swoop in and cause some panic.
    Shadow Armour, Gem of Courage, Great Weapon, Long Bow(i feel one needs fluff even in tourneys)

13 Archers 143pts

6 Shadow Warriors 96 pts

6 Shadow Warriors 96 pts

6 Swordsmasters 90ptsWhite Lions would last longer and be more fluffy, but I don't know if in this small of number they are worth it. You do need something that can make the enemy face forward so your DM can catch the flank.

Maybe something like this.
    DM lvl2 silver wand, guardian phoenix, biting blade
    Commander heavy armor, grt wpn, shld, reaver bow
    10-12x archers (painted like shadow warriors)
    6x Shadow warriors
    White lions
    Repeater Bolt Thrower

I don't know if it would win all the games, but it could be really frustrating for your opponent. You could play it like wood elves with a dragon though and better bows (reaver bow rocks)

+ Reply to Thread