First Attempt At 2000 pt. HE Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Attempt At 2000 pt. HE Army

Noble with great weapon, enchanted shield, 2 dispel scrolls, dragon armor and a barded elven steed
    Noble with great weapon, enchanted shield, 2 dispel scrolls, dragon armor and a barded elven steed

Dragon Princes x 5 with Noble, musician for a total of six models
    Phoenix Guard x 21 with keeper of the flame with skeinsliver, musician
    4 x White Lions x 7 with guardian, musician
    4 x Great Eagle

The strategy is simple and straightforward. Charge with cavalry, tie up enemy with PG and charge with White Lions and pursue with Great Eagles. I wanted to give Nobles instead of Mages the dispel scrolls so I could have more close combat power and better Leadership, as this army includes no offensive magic power at all and Mages would just be a waste.

How does this list sound?

Last edited by NewJerseyMan; February 5th, 2008 at 13:17.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Master of the Crab Women swntzu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    97 (x3)

Rules issues!

Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseyMan View Post

You can't have arcane items on non magic users. You also only get +1 strength from great weapons when mounted so lances would be better here. You also have duplicated enchanted shields which is also illegal.

Sounds alright but where are the core units? You need at least 2 at 2k.

Phoenix Guard x 21 with keeper of the flame with skeinsliver, musician

Phoenix guard are the unit that goes for static combat res rather than kills. Going 7 wide with then isn't the best of ideas. I recommend going 5 wide and adding more ranks.

4 x White Lions x 7 with guardian, musician

You're two slots over the 6 special slots available at 2k. As for the units, it could work but swordmasters are better in this role. Champions are a bit of a waste of points when in very small units.

4 x Great Eagle

No RBTs? I see the eagles getting shot to pieces early in the game

The strategy is simple and straightforward. Charge with cavalry, tie up enemy with PG and charge with White Lions and pursue with Great Eagles. I wanted to give Nobles instead of Mages the dispel scrolls so I could have more close combat power and better Leadership, as this army includes no offensive magic power at all and Mages would just be a waste.

How does this list sound?
    This is an illegal list. I've outlined the major rules issues above.

Overall, this list is pretty flawed. With only two dispel dice, most balanced lists would crush you in the magic phase. The complete lack of shooting means that you'll be getting hammered early in opening by shooting.With one stand up and fight unit that will quickly get surrounded and beaten, this list is going one way and it's not to victory.

Perhaps you should have a read through the rulebook to get a feel for the rules. Reading through army lists on this forum will also help.
    Watch this before posting:
    Posting and You

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

Swn has pointed out the errors you have made in the armies construction, so I will try and help with alterations.

1) Drop 2 units of 7 white lions.
    2) Drop 2 of the Nobles
    3) Change the 3rd Noble to the following:

Noble:
    Heavy Armour, Shield, Lance
    Guardian Pheonix, Helm of Fortune
    Barded steed

4) Get 2 units of 10 archers, no command and no armour

5) Make the unit of pheonix guard 18 strong, with full command and the skeinsliver.

6) Get 2 Lvl 1 mages, one with the staff of sorcery, the other with the annulyian crystal, and place them in the archer units.

That should round your army out, and give it some protection.

Hope this helps

ninja out
    New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

97 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by gingerninja View Post
    Swn has pointed out the errors you have made in the armies construction, so I will try and help with alterations.

1) Drop 2 units of 7 white lions.
    2) Drop 2 of the Nobles
    3) Change the 3rd Noble to the following:

Noble:
    Heavy Armour, Shield, Lance
    Guardian Pheonix, Helm of Fortune
    Barded steed

4) Get 2 units of 10 archers, no command and no armour

5) Make the unit of pheonix guard 18 strong, with full command and the skeinsliver.

6) Get 2 Lvl 1 mages, one with the staff of sorcery, the other with the annulyian crystal, and place them in the archer units.

That should round your army out, and give it some protection.

Hope this helps

ninja out
    With these alterations I believe that you could have a potentially pretty fast moving and hitty list.

The main problem would be ensuring that your opponent breaks on the first turn as dragon princes go down to S3 off the charge.

Archers can be used to answer the missile fire that you'll face and can guard the flanks of the phoenix guard. They can give a nasty surprise to fast cav in combat due to always stirkes first too.
    Posting and You

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, I'll redo the list here:

Noble with lance, heavy armor, helm of fortune, guardian phoenix, barded steed
    Mage with annulian crystal
    Mage with staff of sorcery

2 x Archers x 12 with one Mage in each unit
    Dragon Princes x 6 with Noble, musician, and standard bearer
    Dragon Princes x 6 with full command
    Dragon Princes x 6 with full command
    Phoenix Guard x 18 with full command, skeinsliver
    2 x Sword Masters x 7
    4 x Great Eagle

Ok I implemented the suggested changes and also added full command to the DP units to ensure as much as is possible that they break the units they charge on the first turn.

Do you think that is a good idea, or should I skip the full command on the DP units and go for somethin else?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree with everything GN and Swn have said. If you intend to keep a predominantly cavalry army you either need to take an extra unit of cavalry or drop one. Cavalry only have a realistic chance of breaking on the charge a ranked unit if they work in pairs IMO, one hitting the front and one the flanks simultaneously, thereby depriving your enemy of his staic CR. With two units of DP hitting in this manner ( and its not as easy as it sounds in practice) you have a prety good chance of breaking all but the toughest enemy units (20 WS5 S5 attacks + the mounts attacks and the enemy with no static CR). If they fail this they are down to 20 WS5 S3 attacks in subsequent turns and frequently you will loose the combat. DP's can break small to medium sized enemy units on their own if say like buckeroO you take a unit of 5-6 with full command and the war banner but even then its better to have a flanking unit to hit at the same time. So i would either take an extra unit of DP's or drop one and take two units of ER's in addition to two units of DP's. Hope this is of some help good luck and have fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noble with lance, heavy armor, helm of fortune, guardian phoenix, barded steed
    Mage with annulian crystal
    Mage with staff of sorcery

2 x Archers x 10 with one Mage in each unit
    Dragon Princes x 6 with Noble, musician, standard bearer, banner of ellyrion
    Dragon Princes x 6 with full command, gem of courage
    2 x Ellyrion Reavers x 5 with musician
    Phoenix Guard x 18 with full command, skeinsliver
    2 x Sword Masters x 7
    4 x Great Eagle

Ok so I implemented the suggested changes. Now I have two Ellyrion Reaver units, I decided to go only five strong to ensure their mobility, and added musicians. It comes to 1,999 points. How does it look now?
    Last edited by NewJerseyMan; February 5th, 2008 at 19:54.

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

Well the only thing I would change now would be to drop 1 dragon prince from the unit with the noble in and give yourself 1 unit of 12 white lions and one unit of 6 swordmasters as flankers.

That should be the same points,

ninja out
    Last edited by gingerninja; February 5th, 2008 at 20:13.
    New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

97 (x3)

It looks alright to me too. It's very "glass hammer" but then again that's high elves for you.
    Posting and You

+ Reply to Thread