Building up to a 2250 list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Building up to a 2250 list

So I am looking to get back into Fantasy Battle (several year hiatus) and I would like a good target list to build towards so I can get to playing quicker. So without further ado, here is my proposed list:

Prince: Horse+Barding, Dragon Armor, Shield, Blade of Sea Gold, Temakador's Gauntlets = 256 points
    Mage: Level 2, Elven Steed, Silver Wand, Ring of Fury = 197 points
    Mage: Level 2, Jewel of Dusk, Dispel Scroll = 170 points

Spearmen x24: Full Command = 241 points
    Archers x10 = 110 points

Dragon Princes x6: Champion, Musician = 210 points
    Sword Masters x14: Champion, Musician = 228 points
    White Lions x14: Champion, Musician = 228 points
    Shadow Warriors x5 = 80 points
    Lion Chariot = 140 points
    Lion Chariot = 140 points

Repeater Bolt Thrower = 100 points
    Repeater Bolt Thrower = 100 points
    Great Eagle = 50 points

Total = 2250 points

Tactics: The Prince will join the Dragon Princes and add his might to their already considerable killing power. Unfortunately they likely become something of a fire magnet so I will do my utmost to keep them covered or try and slap Shield of Saphery on them for the ward save if warmachines decide to pelt them. The mages will provide magic defense and hopefully a little extra firepower as well. I adding a horse to the mage with the ring to keep him moving so he can hopefully get his spells and ring to where they can be best used. If I want additional power dice I could drop the Eagle and juggle a couple models to add a Standard Bearer and Banner of Sorcery to the White Lions or Sword Masters (probably the While Lions since they are more survivable in terms of armor and morale). The Spearmen provide a good solid combat res unit to help anchor my line. The White Lions and Swordmasters will probably move down a flank to put pressure on my opponent. The White Lions will also try to take advantage of any forests they encounter to maximize their mobility. The Swordmasters will either try to stay in cover or screened for a while to avoid being smashed by shooting too quickly. I may have to baby sit them a little and keep a Shield of Saphery on them as opposed to my Dragon Princes. The Lion Chariots will work in tandem. I like the Lion Chariots since they pack the usual Chariot Impact punch and they are very stout even when they fail to get the charge. The Shadow Warriors and Eagle will march block and harass warmachine crews. Finally the Bolt Throwers will work on whithering down block units and other opportunistic targets. I don't expect to rely on them to swing games in my favor, but they will provide something for my opponent to worry about.

I am very much out of practice with this game and when I did play I preferred more stout and solid troops (Dwarves and Lizardmen). So I am looking very much forward to figuring out a much less stout army that relies on speed and maneuvering. That being said, I expect I may have made a glaring omissions/mistakes in my list so I would love any constructive feedback. Thank you in advance.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."
    - Benjamin Disraeli

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This looks like a good solid balanced list. Personally I would drop the two lion charriots for another unit of DP's. My prejudices against charrioits are well know, but IMHO they will not survive turn 2 against a competent opponents basic missile fire. The Lion charriots will not even be able to keep up with your elite infantry since they cannot march move and just about everything else in your army can. IMHO charriots do have a place in certain defensive army lists at least in theory, but they will be left behind by the rest of the army untill they can get into a possition to charge and every opponent knows this so they will be eliminated early. I would also drop 4 spear elves and take the unit to 20 and with the points saved here and from the lion charriots get a standard for either the SM or WL and give them the banner of sorcery, with only 7 power dice you will find it very difficult to get even one spell into play, with the BoS it gives you 8-10 power dice and a much higher chance of getting spells into play, high magic is very effective against most opponents and in addition we are one of the few races that can taylor our magic to our opponents it makes sense to make best use of this ability. I would also find the points to give either the SM or one of the units of DP's a standard and give them the banner of ellyrion, with the SM it gives them a measure of protection against the inevitable missile fire they will attract (but not survive without some form of help) and they can then move like the WL an advantage if you are using them on the same flank to produce a coordinated attack. With the DP's if you decide to take a second unit it means one can act as a dedicated flanking unit. DP's IMHO work better in pairs in coordinated attacks on the same unit. With the advent of the near universal gunline that seems to be appearing inWFB protection against and a means of dealing with missile fire is rapidly becoming essential in order to have any chance at all. With the HE excellent mobility and high average WS it plays to our strengths to set up coordinated attacks with multiple units on enemy units and maximise our advantages. This is obviously only my oppinion, have fun and good luck.
    Last edited by aenar; February 26th, 2008 at 19:34.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are worthy suggestions Aenar, thank you. I'll have to think on them for a few. The notion of two units of Dragon Princes holds a great amount of appeal so I'll have to give that some serious thought. In one of my incarnations of this list I had the Banner of Ellyrion with the Sword Masters, but then I started to worry about losing the banner to fleeing which is a concern to me with such a small unit. Still, the ability to coordinate through forests with the White Lions might be worth the risk. Yep, I will definitely have to consider that as a possible option.
    - Benjamin Disraeli

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

the lion chariots are very pretty, and probably very competant against certain armies, but aenar is right in that any army with a decent shooting phase (WE, HE, Empire, Dwarves, etc) will quickly kill your chariots. I've also found that my Dragon princes do quite well without the champion but perform better with musician, banner and warbanner. This is guaranteed 2 combat resolution points and even if you fluff on the combat or get stuck in combat (opponent rolls snakeeyes) the banner/warbanner works wonders. If you're strictly against taking any banners in your army for some sort of strategical purpose, I would still drop the champion in the DP due to the points. The champion is only useful in my opinion, if you need him there to protect a character by taking challenges or if he is carrying some sort of valuable magic item like amulet of light, gem of courage or skiensliver, or something that adds to the unit's protection/usefulness. I also would consider dropping the elven steed from the mage, unless you bought the HE boxed wizard set already and don't have any other mages (you could probably make one from a spare archer body though)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buckero0 View Post
    unless you bought the HE boxed wizard set already
    Go it in one I am afraid.

After consideration, I think there is a lot of validity in removing the chariots in favor of another unit of Dragon Princes so I am going to work on retooling my list to account for that. I will have to give some thought to adding in standards as you suggested buckero0. I am leery of losing them when my units are small, but the static combat res is desirable. The champions were added for the additional attack. In a normal block unit my thinking has always been that leaving them out is fine if you want too, but with the small units designed to win by flanking and dealing heavy casualties, I thought the inclusion of the champions for the extra attack would be worth while. Still, I will indeed give it some thought. With the loss of the two chariots and replacement by more Dragon Princes, there may indeed be extra points for standards with or without the replacement of the champions. Thanks for the comments.
    - Benjamin Disraeli

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

sometimes it is. When I run a 7 man unit of White Lions, they have a champ and musician, and I only mean for them to flank and/or suicide in and kill as much as possible. In a larger unit, especially one with a character, I try to bulk them up enough that you have full command at least. Your unit strength is kind of borderline, not quite big enough, not quite small enough for either. I've found that the dragon princes benefit from banner/warbanner combo the most, when they have it, they can usually charge just about anyone straight on and win or tie, long enough for me to get support to the flank. If you run 2 units of dragon princes, you may want to run 1 with banner/warbanner, and the other with no banner. But to me, if you're going to run a unit of 14 without a banner, you might as well, run them 7wide and just 7 guys instead of purchasing the extra 7 guys who are just sitting in the back rank. That would leave you points for something else. You would have to change your list to do that though, since you have 6 specials in the current list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with buckeroO when i have the points I run my two units of DP's at six wide, one unit with a musician standard and the war banner and the other either with only a musician or if point allow and i do not need it elsewhere with a standard and banner of ellyrion. 6 DP's hitting from the front with the war banner will break a lot of units on their own but when supported by flank charge by 6 more DP's they will break on the charge just about any ranked unit, unless you are very unlucky and your opponent rolls a double 1, or if you are foolish enough to charge an unbreakable unit and thats what the standard of balance is there to deal with. The HE have such a good and cost effective selection of banners it would seem foolish not to use them. Yes there is always a chance a unit will break and you give away victory points, but our selection of banners is so good in comparison to our appaling selection of magic armour it seems appropriate to make use of them. In addition by taking a standard bearer it will keep your opponent guesing as to what if any magic standard you have taken.
    Last edited by aenar; February 27th, 2008 at 20:39.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are good points. I will retool my list a bit and return with an updated version. Thanks gents!
    - Benjamin Disraeli

+ Reply to Thread