2k Tournament List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2k Tournament List

I have been running the list below against the following pool of armies: 2 Empire balanced (1 using W-Altar, 1 using S-Tank), 2 Empire gunline, 3 Bretonnian, 2 WE (1 forest spirit, 1 normal), 1 HE MSU, 1 VC, 1 Dwarf gunline, 2 all-Goblin, 2 Skaven, and 3 DE. Have been doing relatively well against all of the lists, have played almost 50 games.

However, seeing as there aren't any TK, OK, LM, or Chaos to test against, I fear my list may be flawed and I haven't been able to tell yet. Also, none of the above armies I've been playing against had better magic than me except the HE MSU and the Empire list with the War Altar. That said, this is the list I want to bring to the tournament coming up weekend after next.

10 Archers
    10 Archers

Dragon Princes x6 with Banner of Sorcery & Musician
    Dragon Princes x6 with War Banner & Musician
    8 Shadow Warriors

2 Eagles
    2 RBTs

Lv 2 Dragon Mage - Silver Wand and 2 Dispel Scrolls
    Lv 2 Dragon Mage - 2 Dispel Scrolls

Total Points = 1998
    Casting Dice = 6 + D3 + up to 5 from Reckless
    Dispel Dice = 4 + 4 Scrolls

Re: GingerNinja's Suggestion --> Alternative for Skeinsliver: Drop 1 Dispel Scroll from Dragon Mage without the Silver Wand, Drop 1 Shadow Warrior; Add Upgrade to Shadow-Walker, Add Skeinsliver to above-mentioned Dragon Mage

New Total Point Cost = 1999
    Dispel Dice = 4 + 3 Scrolls

So far, it seems like Eagles and Shadow Warriors have been my MVPs; they've been important in protecting my Dragon Mages from shooting and march-blocking when necessary. The Dragon Mages have been really good casting owing to the large numbers of dice from Reckless, and terror tests are really good. The Dragon Princes have been even better than anticipated... they are something like 35 of 60 in breaking units of 20+ ranked infantry on the charge

Really need some constructive criticism here, the tournament coming up is certainly going to have a much more varied field. I've toyed with the idea of dumping the Shadow Warriors for Reavers, but I feel like the scouting is really important to be able to get to cannons/bolt throwers ASAP at the beginning of the game, so that my Dragon Mages aren't hampered in where they can move.

Last edited by ga1661; March 6th, 2008 at 11:25. Reason: Fix list to correct version & Modification to add Skeinsliver possibility

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

I like the idea behind this list, as it is very small and elite.

I would love to see you squeeze the Skeinsliver into this list somewhere to try and guarantee you the first turn, to make sure your dragons, eagles and shadow warriors a free move to hit target.

This could be achieved with the drop of the seerstaff from the second dragon mage.

Let me know how this works.

ninja out
    New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent thought on Skeinsliver, GN, but I just realized I gave the earlier version of the list which was using Reavers and I had more points to use, so my list is currently over on points by 10 (200. The correct version that I've actually been playing with has 2 Scrolls instead of Seerstaff + Scroll on the 2nd Dragon Mage, but it would be very interesting to see if I could find a way to get the Skeinsliver in there.

I think that would be a big improvement, since although I normally finish deploying first (7 deploys + characters + scout), adding +2 is obviously much better than +1 considering how much better this list is when I go first. Any suggestions for a points drop besides changing from Shadow Warriors to Reavers? I feel like 4 scrolls aren't absolutely necessary if I'm going first that much more than my opponents, I can probably get away with just 3. I think the best way to get the last 3 points I'd need is to drop 1 Shadow Warrior and give another with the Champion upgrade. I think I'll make that change in the list above, see what people think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well ga1 first of all I must say that I really like this list as a small elite force and think that it will do really well at the tournament.

There are only a couple of changes I would make and these are more personal opinion than gospel.

I normally always find the points for the Banner of Sorcery as I run magic heavy armies, but in this list I see it as a little bit of a waste of points.
    You only have the two mages and between them 5 spells. Assuming that you are taking Sword of Rhuin you will only be casting one spell on one mage and two on the other in most of the magic phases. You already have 6 standard and the extra reckless to get these away which should be more than enough I think.
    Also I just feel that 4 Dispel scrolls is a little overkill. I can see why you have done it as you don't have any mages with High Magic for Drain Magic so you want to be careful but 2 or 3 I would think would be enough. It's an awefull lot of points to spend especially if you come across a low magic army. Maybe with VC just coming out you might want to keep and see. Personally I would change one for a Power Stone just to push through the Sword of Rhuin before diving in to CC.

The only other change I would make is using the points saved on the banner to split the Shadow Warriors up in to two units. I know some people don't like them but for my armies they are vital. i think at a unit of 8 they are a bit too large so splitting them in to two units of 5 or 6 and bringing them on from two sides of your opponents back table can really mess with their minds.

As I said this is all just what I think I would do.

Hope the advice helps.

+ Reply to Thread