HUGE 5k list for Legendary Battles - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

HUGE 5k list for Legendary Battles

This summer my friends and I have planned to get together and run a massive battle at the local RT. We want to call ahead and make sure that we can block off 4 tables to play on, since we are anticipating 12k to each side. The armies will be
    High Elves, Empire, Lizardmen vs. Orks&Gobbos, Dwarves, Undead (VC or TK) and possibly Dark Elves or Chaos.

We already have the terrain decided upon (bored 3d renderer), a 12x8 table with a river and some roads. The objectives in the middle are a village, a bridge, and a crossroads. The village is in the center, on high ground. The river runs off to one side, with the bridge. The crossroads are in a beautiful and expansive network of wheatfields. Anyways, on to my HE list that I intend to take:

Prince: 626
    --sword of hoeth, dragonscale shield, amulet of fire, heavy armor, star dragon

lvl 4 Archmage: 384
    --barded steed, book of hoeth

lvl 4 Archmage: 352
    --barded steed, seer staff, vambraces of defense

lvl 2 mage: 187
    --annulian crystal

lvl 2 Dragon Mage: 425
    --jewel of dusk, gaurdian pheonix

lvl 2 Dragon Mage: 435
    --silver wand, ring of fury

10 archers: xxx
    10 archers: xxx

15 Seagaurd: 230
    --standard, musician, shields, Warbanner

10 Spearmen: 105
    --standard, musician

10 Spearmen: 105
    --standard, musician

6 Dragon Princes: 265
    --musician, standard bearer, banner of sorcery

6 Dragon Princes: 215
    --musician, standard bearer,

5 Ellyrion Reavers: 126

10 Shadow Warriors: xxx

10 Shadow Warriors: xxx

Tirranoc Chariot: xx
    Tirranoc Chariot: xx

Repeater Bolt Thrower: xxx
    Repeater Bolt Thrower: xxx

Great Eagle: xx

The army is intentionally magic heavy. The Lizards are also magically gifted, but the Empire list has little to no magic. Ideally, the LMs and HE lists will be able to lock down the magic phase with their ability to steal away dice and add dice. The rest of the units will serve their purpose as dictated by my team's over-all strategy.

The plan is to use the Shadow Warriors to scout into the village, and into a copse of trees by the bridge. From here, they will have one area claimed and a good overwatch on the bridge. We plan to deploy the rest of my cavalry according to where we feel their interest is. I want to run a Refused Flank, leaving them either trickling across the bridge (river impassable) or slogging through wheatfields. Either way, the Empire guns will probably take a heavy toll on the slow movers. The Lizards are our shock-troops, storming the village and establishing a new front-line there. My RBTs and possibly some imperial artillery will hopefully move in and get positions within this village. My LSGs are really just vangaurd units. The Empire units, with their detachments are better for pitched combat. The LSG are just there to add shots and serve as 2nd Line units. The cavalry, having abandoned one flank, are going to to go on the prowl with the dragons, operating largely independently to cause massive casualties among the enemy- possibly even launching a counter assualt out of the village and cutting into the main line.

This is meant to be a fun day of gaming, and while we want an epic battle, we want it to be an enjoyable one. So please feel free to post complaints of possibly 'beardiness' or brutality in my list, along with other constructive critiques.

Last edited by CaptainSarathai; May 26th, 2008 at 15:44.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

Well my first suggestions are pretty standard. Drop all of the standards from the Dragon Prince units, except the banner of sorcery one, and give them champions instead. This will improve their combat prowess and limit the victory points of your enemy if they get caught.

I would also suggest dropping the shadow stalkers, the standards from the 2 small seaguard units and put these points towards a warbanner on the main seaguard unit and perhaps another great eagle if you can't stretch to it.

Those are the only suggestions I can come up with, as I haven't played a huge battle with the new HE yet.

:ninja3: out
    New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Leg. Battles dont use Victory points G. so you can throw in whatever you like without much thought lol, including standards.

Instead, its something live you gte 1 point per unit per cumulative turn for each unit within range of an objective. Awful for defensive armies, but i you can just swamp the objectives with lots of units in turn 6, then that should win it for you...

So how about ''cheesing'' up by maxing out on eagles, and flying them there in turn 6?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

I stand corrected, although I still believe the champions would be a better investment at this point.

:ninja2: out
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

So, by your reasoning G, I should pay for a Champ, to get 1 extra attack in CC, that MIGHT score me a wound and a point in CR, instead of a banner that has a static +1 CR from a banner?

I added the Shadow Walkers in as an afterthought, but I guess I could drop them. At XXpts each though what would I gain? I guess dropping them, and dropping the standards and musicians could probably get me a warbanner or another eagle.

I think that with 2 units of scouts, I've probably got the objectives pinned down on turn 1. That third objective will be the refused flank, so I want them baited into an 'easy' capture.

And yeah- the rules are a little different for Leg Battles.
    Last edited by gingerninja; May 23rd, 2008 at 10:02. Reason: Points
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

262 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    So, by your reasoning G, I should pay for a Champ, to get 1 extra attack in CC, that MIGHT score me a wound and a point in CR, instead of a banner that has a static +1 CR from a banner?

I think that with 2 units of scouts, I've probably got the objectives pinned down on turn 1. That third objective will be the refused flank, so I want them baited into an 'easy' capture.
    I only meant to drop the champions of the shadow warriors, not the units entirely, as I can see there worth, but the champions are a waste of points.

As for the combat resolution question, I can understand your point entirely. However, the champ would give you the opportunity to challange, and not have an excess of standard bearer models, that you wouldn't use in lower point games.

That is the reasoning, if you have them, then use them, as I agree the extra static res would be very helpful, but if you are buying them for this battle, I wouldn't bother.

:ninja2: out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, I really like the layout of your army. Looks to be very fast paced to get to your objectives, and I think the level of magic you are fielding should be difficult for your opponents to deal with. The Annulian Crystal will probably drag out a huge groan of pain when it's used. The only thing I can think of that would be a target for being called cheese might be the Dragon Princes, but I personally wouldn't think to call any sort of shennannigans on the list as it stands. 3 Dragons running rampant looks like it will be lots of fun.

Without my book sitting in front of me I'm not sure I have any real suggestions, but I've always been a fan of the Star Lance for the Prince on the Star Dragon. I think it works out to be 10 Str 7 attacks at WS 7 on the charge (both the Prince and Dragon together), though it does leave the prince in an awkward position if he doesn't break his target.

This post makes me want to talk my usual gaming cohorts into bumping up the numbers and planning a big full day / weekend event.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the number of castings happening, the number of miscasts goes up, you should totally fit a Tricksters staff in there, just for fun

Its funny when the Vampire counts lord is casting, miscasts, has to roll two miscast rolls, and one of them is ALSO double 1's (Sucked into chaos by ze demon)

Thats one opponent down. (crumble is deadly)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YESSS!! Finally someone who isn't afraid to field an excess of dragons
    For my suggestions

Turn the LSGs into regular spearmen
    the spearmen are cheaper and you already have plenty of shooting

You should also take out a few shadow warriors from one of the units to get in a unit of Sword Masters(kill everything)

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

1480 (x8)

Haha, I like some of these responses.

@Ginger: i totally understand the point about the banner vs. champ when buying the units. But actually, I already own this entire list with the exception of 1 dragon, and a few spears and shadows. So, I own the banner-bearers for these units. Sad, but true.

@Scottie: the DPs are already being heralded as cheese, but the other players know how to deal with them. What they're actually angry about are the Shadow Warriors. I was bragging (confident that they have NO scouts) about how I could get into the objectives on turn1.
    As for the starlance, it's a less than stellar weapon IMO. Like you said- if they don't break outright, the prince is left with nothing. I'm more a fan of auto-wound hits with WS7. Wounds almost anything on a 3+

@Ironman: that number of dragons is nothing. We're expecting another dragon from the Imperial player, plus a Carnosaur from the LM player. I could have easy access to another dragon, and we have another HE player that is considering throwing in his lot with us. If he shows, he will bring us a list with as many SM units as I have knights, and another 2 dragons. We'd like him to come along, but we're worried about points balance. Imagine: 8 scaled behemoths running riot on the table.
    Also: my specials are maxed. To take Swordmasters, I'd need to drop a full unit of Shadows. Like Scottie mentioned, my list is very fast. The swordmasters would just get left behind.

Our tactic is now called 'operation Gladiator'. We figure that we have the Empire as the 'Shield', the HE as the 'sword' and the LM as the 'body'. The tactic will be to crush them out of the village and establish a strongpoint, then use the empire to shell/shoot/bomb them as they advance. The elves will act as early bait, and then just hunt down whatever they can.

I am going to get a new list up soon (tomorrow i hope) but I'm thinking that I will drop my Shadowwalkers, change the small units of LSG to spears, and add in a Great Eagle.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast