1500pts Heavy Magic (friendly) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500pts Heavy Magic (friendly)

Hi,
    I just wanted to try out the dragon mage, once I started, I couldnt stop adding more magic, so there it is...
    I know 8 Sword Masters is a strange number but I thought it might be more efficient to use them in two 1 rank units one behind another. Might work, might not, I don't know yet.

Dragon Mage
    +level 2
    +Seerstaff of Saphery
    +Dragonscale Shield
    (435)

Mage
    +Barded Steed
    +Ring of Fury
    (152)

Spearmen (1
    +Musician
    +Standard
    (177)

Sword Masters (
    +Musician
    +Standard
    +Banner of Sorcery
    (18

Sword Masters (
    +Musician
    (126)

Dragon Princes (5)
    +Musician
    (160)

Dragon Princes (5)
    +Musician
    (160)

Bolt Thrower
    (you know how much)

Total:1498

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frontage for most opposing units is going to be 5 wide, so your max frontage is 7 models. If you are looking to go maximized attacks in single rank, I'd go 7 wide. Also, never take standards in small units like those Swordmasters, champions are much better. Your combat advantage will be going first and making sure you eliminate the opposing front rank to keep them from hitting back against your T3 and relatively weak armor. Furthermore you don't want to be giving away VP when these units break, which they will quite often. They are suicide bomber units, not tarpits.

Banner of Sorcery consequently needs to go in a Dragon Prince unit if you want to keep it. These are far less likely to break because typically they will be charging and you can keep them out of bad combats.

Silver Wand is much much better than Seerstaff because of Reckless. Also, your Dragon Mage is not allowed to take magic armor or a magic shield because his options for mundane equipment do not include mundane armor or a mundane shield; similarly he would not be allowed to take the Star Lance or the Reaver Bow. I would highly recommend you take Silver Wand for your Dragon Mage, and give him the Ring of Fury, then use your leftover points to upgrade your other Mage to Level 2 as well.

Beyond that, the next thing I would do is try fit in at least 1 Dispel Scroll, if not 2, or the Annulian Crystal or Staff of Sorcery on your Mage on the horse. I'd seriously consider swapping that Bolt Thrower out, especially if you can add a 6th Dragon Prince to each unit. Without a high LD character to act as general, you need to protect yourself in the magic phase, since both casters are vulnerable due to their lack of good armor saves.

Hope some of this helps...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the comments. Thats a Rep+.

I know standards can cost VP when they are lost, but with friendly games we've never counted them, we just played until we could see one side was crushed.

Frontage 5 is normal I agree, but against larger bases 8 might work nicely, the only problem might be wheeling. I have to think about it.

The Banner should go with Dragon Princess I agree.

I am not sure what did you mean by Reckless for Seerstaff.

I couldn't find anywhere in the rules that a mage cant use magic armour or weapons. I looked in the rulebook, characters (72) and magic section (104) and also in the army book (45), What I found was (army book page 93) Magic items: Any, up to total of...50pts

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh, sorry I didn't explain better... the common item for the Dragon Mage at Level 2 should be the Silver Wand because of the # of Power Dice you have. If you were take an additional level 2 mage, then you have a pool of six Power Dice (plus Banner of Sorcery dice). But the Reckless rule for the Dragon Mage allows you to add one additional dice to each spell, and this dice does NOT come from your Power Dice pool, and it does NOT count against the limit of Power Dice you can use on a spell. Because of the low casting value of most of the Lore of Fire spells, most can be cast on 2 or 3 dice... but that means you only need to use 1 or 2 Power Dice respectively. Why limit yourself to only two spells, when you are easily able to cast three every turn? Lore of Fire is one of the few Lores where you really don't care which spell you get, they pretty much all serve the same purpose besides your default spell (Flaming Sword): causing lots of damage! Picking particular spells won't help too much, although perhaps it would be useful on your other mage.

It's not that you can't use magic armor or weapons. That's an old rule that was done away with in 7th Edition. However, there is still a rule which states that if you can't buy a mundane version of an item, you can't buy a magical version either, and this is in the main rule book. The page reference is escaping me at the moment, and a friend is borrowing my BRB. So if someone would be so kind as to point out the particular reference, would be much appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I missed lots of rules when I was designing that list, but that was my first approach to HE after a long, long time.

Anyway, you were absolutelly right. The best item for the Dragon Mage is Silwer Wand (I also gave him the Ring of Fury) and Seerstaff works well with a second Mage when he is upgradad to level 2.
    The rule about mages not wearing armour is in the rulebook page 121.

Yesterday I played in a local club against ogres and I have to admit that HE are now really fun to play (not what I used to, when I was playing previous editions of HE).
    Dragon Mage was worth all the points, even just to see my opponent's expression when I moved him right behind his units. He couldn't march, I was throwing all sorts of nasty spells at him and for half of the battle his main concairn was 'what am I going to do with this bloody dragon?', as every time he faced me I was moving away from his front.

I am going to do a few changes to the list and then post it again.
    Thanks a lot for the help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is my new list:

Dragon Mage
    +level 2
    +Silver Wand
    +Annulian Crystal
    (435)

Mage
    +Barded Steed
    +Seerstaff of Saphery
    (181)

Spearmen (25)
    +Musician
    +Standard
    (240)

Sword Masters (7)
    +Musician
    (111)

Sword Masters (7)
    +Musician
    (111)

Dragon Princes (5)
    +Musician
    (160)

Dragon Princes (5)
    +Musician
    (160)

Bolt Thrower
    (you know how much)

Total:1498

Comments please!
    I've noticed everyone is using 18 spearelves but for me it didn't work at all. I lost a few from some pissy shooting and in combat I didn't get much of a static CR, so this time I am going to use 25. My other option is to use 20 spearelves, 5 swordmasters per unit and field one more bolt thrower.

+ Reply to Thread