New 2k all round list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

New 2k all round list

So I posted a while ago with an all round list that I plan on using pretty much consistently no matter what I face, it has undergone a few small changes to give what I have now.

Noble, general, armour of caledor, amulet of fire, great weapon (goes in PG)

Noble, BSB, great weapon, armour of protection (goes in first spear unit)

Mage, 2 scrolls, drain magic and shield of saphery

19 spearmen, full command

20 spearmen, musician, banner (ran out of points for the champ, he isn't needed to protect a character against challenges anyway)

8 Dragon Princes, full command

(I found units of 6 were getting shot and losing their combat potential too easily, and they seemed to never know if they were a flanker or a front hitter. These guys will hit the front and hit hard. I'm considering giving them the warbanner instead of the PG, thoughts?)

6 reavers, musician (some flank protection was needed, my previous list seriously lacked it)

17 Phoenix Guard, full command, warbanner

Lion chariot (expensive, yes. But the few times I have used it, it has hit very very hard and proven extremely useful, especially against fear causing things like undead)

Tiranic Chariot

eagle

2 bolt throwers

2001 points. So far it has had a draw against VC, in a vey close and fun game, and a solid victory against VC in a not so close game. The only change I am looking at besides the warbanner shift is taking Korhil instead of the noble general. Korhil is 2 points more and gives the same strength and attacks but will give a unit stubborn, which is very good on PG. He does have a bit less protection though with only a 4+ AS...

The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

This looks like a very solid list.

My biggest concern would be against truely magic heavy armies. Although I suppose having played 2 VC armies, you should be ok. I would consider changing the warbanner to the spearmen. The Pheonix Guard are a lot more resiliant.

Beyond that, I would consider dropping the lion chariot for a tiranoc chariot and then another great eagle, giving you more hunting possibilities.

Just my thoughts

ninja out
    New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

139 (x8)

Magic heavy armies could indeed be a bit of a problem. But I really don't want to spend more points than I absolutely have to on magic resistance, and it would be quite expensive to get another scroll cady in there. The dragon princes and eagle can hunt mages early if I am facing a lot. They did fare well against VC with 9 power dice though.

The lion chariot is to make the list a bit more rounded. It causes fear so will not fail to charge against undead (as my DP managed to do last battle...) and while it is expensive, it hits very hard. I find it more reliable as a chariot than the tiranoc and it has proven very useful so far. I will keep it for now, but I certainly had my reservations as well and it would be the first thing I'd drop if I needed something else.

You don't think I should put the warbanner on the DP so they hit even harder then? They kinda need to bust whatever they hit, though I have found so far in subsequent rounds they haven't performed too badly with 13 s3 attacks plus an extra 6 from horses.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

160 (x7)

I always have the warbanner on the dragon princes. That is another +1 to combat res, which means if I hit decently I'll wipe the unit off the board, but if I don't (I've missed to hit rolls and to wound rolls many, many times) then the DP don't run. You can solve the quandry with switching the bsb to your other noble and giving the bsb to the PG (which also benefit from rerolls and +1 combat res, since they don't have full ranks and don't kill as many as they should.

I too, am wary of your magic defense. I'd never make it with just 3 DD, but maybe the 7th ed. magic dynamic is a little more forgiving at 2000pts.

I also think the extra reaver and extra 2 dragon princes(and the champ) are wasted. That's almost enough for a lvl 1 mage right there. Worse comes to worse, scrap for another 40+/- pts and get a noble with radiant gem of hoeth and a great weapon. He's as frail as a mage, (give him dragon armor) but will dish out some pain and wounds for your other units and still provide dispel dice and shield of saphery goodness. That's more than the extra reaver and dragon princes will usually do for you.

I used to hate the chariots too, but a friend of mine seems to use them fairly effectively, so I've changed my opinion about them.
    Last edited by buckero0; September 8th, 2008 at 15:52.

+ Reply to Thread