1500 High Elf Army, mainly against DE - need some advice - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 High Elf Army, mainly against DE - need some advice

Hello,
    Firstly I'd like to say its my first post at this forum, so welcome everybody
    Secondly I'd like to ask for a little help with setting up my first High Elf Army. I will be playing mostly against Dark Elves, played by my friend, and a Chaos Warrior Army. The lists consists of my early purchases, that is a batallion and some elite infantry I added, mostly because of my attraction towards Swordmasters (Although i guess Phoenix guards would be better against DE)
    The basic concept is, that after a cople of badly lost offensive games against DE I have decided to make my force slightly more defensive and set up a little further away to avoid heavy fire from repeater crossbows and magic in first turns, making my swordmasters survive until i get rid of shooters with longbowmen, magic and RBT. Additionaly i would like to focus on generating larger amounts of magic dice to strengthen the defence. The core of my friend's armies are big units of Black Guard, Cold Knights, Chaos Warriors and Knights.

I will really appreciate any comments as what to change and modify in order to become more effective.

Army list:

General:
    Noble with lance, heavy armor, shield, helm of fortune on barded steed (goes with Dragon Princes) (136)

level 2 Mage with Silver Wand (157)
    level 2 Mage with Seerstaff and Dispell Scroll (185)

Core Units (362)
    23 Spearmen with command group and War Banner (one mage goes here)
    10 Archers

Special Units:
    15 Swordmasters with command group (255)
    5 Dragon princes with standard bearer and Banner of Sorcery (220) (general goes here)
    5 shadow Warriors

Rare units
    Repeater Bolt Thrower

altoghether its 1495
    Any ideas what to change, focusing mainly on DE battles? I also have a 8 piece unit of silverhelms and 13 remaining spearmen in reserve. I also wonder if giving one mage High Magic and the second the lore of Heavens is a good idea?

Last edited by yossarian222; February 17th, 2009 at 16:42.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does your general not have dragon armour and a shield? Does he have a lance? I never run my SM in 15 with FC however if you are strictly going to be only using models you have I guess it is better that you go with that... I would add a Musician to the archers with your left over 5 points (assuming you don't put anything or shift the list around) this way if they panic and run you could get them back easier ^^ One more bolt thrower would really chew up units of knigths... YOu chould drop the Shadow warriors and a a couple SM to accomplish this. And then you can use your Cav to outrange charge them and scare them into getting to close so that you have enough time to magic and shoot (this is what I do if I don't have enough pts for march blockers)...
    Also be careful of the DE hatred, they will get many hits on you and its never hard to wound an elf, so make sure to either kill thier front rank, or thin them down with your ranged attacks...

----

Regards,
    -Vanquisher_Dud-
    -1st Army-High Elves 81/11/9
    -Second Army-Lizardmen 6/0/0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you very much for your remarks, I have thought of getting another RBT and I guess it should really help. As to swordmasters I think I will get rid of some and put them in 6-7 long formation to make them more effective in hth. I had doubts about the shadow warriors, I guess I will use them only when my opponent brings in his RBT.

P.S. Sorry for not adding general's stuff, ye certainly does have a lance, armor and a shield

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats seems wise, I usually have my sm 12 in 2 ranks or 14, in 7 in big games, but for this point value I suggest 6, 12 (or 13 with champ) WS6 S5 attacks hitting first should do the job ^^ Another RBT would do you wonders! I hope you have D. Armour on the Noble instead of H. Armour, its well worth the couple points..

----

Regards,
    -Vanquisher_Dud-
    -1st Army-High Elves 81/11/9
    -Second Army-Lizardmen 6/0/0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I would switch the Dispel Scroll for a Powerstone and take lore of Metal, and choose 4 + 6. It's worked very well for me in the past when I go up against a heavily armoured force such as Chaos.

+ Reply to Thread