2nd(MUCH better) attempt at 2250, caledor themed - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2nd(MUCH better) attempt at 2250, caledor themed

OK, my first list was pretty terrible, this one I'm sure is not perfect itself, but I've learned alot and know more what I want to build. I've decided to go with a dragon theme, the codex lends itself this way very well.

Dragon Mage - Lvl. 2. Armour of Caledor, Guardian Phoenix 435
    I really need to find a tactica on this guy. I wanted to give him a staff of saphery, but he comes nude, so I figured I HAD to give some armour or he would be dead in two seconds.

Archmage - lvl. 4 - 2 dispell scrolls, Silver Wand, Forlariath's robe 355
    Will probably go with high magic on this guy, I just read through them all and it and lore of heavens were the only two I thought sounded really good.

Noble - BSB, Great Weapon, Dragon Armour, Enchanted Shield, Banner of World Dragon 198
    IS this guy worth it in my army for that many points? I don't know, I'll stick him with 11 swords and see how it goes, I really like the banner, I was told the HE banners were good, and a steal, and I'm hoping I can make the model that comes in the noble/prince box look really good/

10 Archers XXX

10 Archers XXX
    Still have trouble wrapping my mind around the fact that I should totally min max my army. Think 1 and 1 with spears would be better? I don't have much for shooting.

11 Swordmasters - Full Command 195

12 Swordmasters - Muso 186
    Aren't these one of the best units in the game? Plus I like them most of our infantry.

6 Dragon Princes - Muso, Standard, Banner of Sorcery 260
    Expensive, but I've got to believe this banner is worth it, I want to absolutely own my magic phase, with these dice, plu the DM getting plus 1 EACH spell, I think I should have most of my spells going off when and where I want them.

6 Dragon Princes - Muso 190

2 Repeater Bolt Throwers XXX
    Not only do I love the model,. I took 2 so I wouldn't be the cheesy new guy, plus I like my theme of everything in sets of 2, one of these in each corner of the deplyment zone.

TOTAL: 2247

Well please tear it up or say how sweet it is or make jokes, however you want to do this. I'm having a paint-a-thon today on this rainy cold day, I intend to have my first 10 man squad of archers complete by nightfall. I'd also like to place some orders from some ebay sellers tonight or tomorrow to get my army ready fore battle.

I feel like I've got a well balanced force here. 2 archers, 2 throwers and some ranged magic for cover fire and to weaken units. A dragon and dragon princes for mobility, and the Cavalry and swordmaster for a hard hitting, block of destruction.

Soften themn up and hit them where it hurts is my plan. Let me know how you think it will go, and what to change. I am totally open to suggestions. I would also like to know what armies this would be good and weak against. Thanks for reading.

In future, please can you refrain from posting points costs of units without upgrades - GN out

Last edited by gingerninja; April 29th, 2009 at 13:13.
    Armies: Ultramarines 2nd Co.
    Dwarfs
    (coming soon) Wood Elves for my final army.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

My only worry here is where are you planning to put your archmage, I always put mine, as well as my banner of sorcery, in a unit of phoenix guard as they just DONT DIE.

On the whole I think this is a very good list indeed and will cause people a lot of trouble. Only thing to consider would be maybe switching out one of the units of DPs for 2 chariots (I'm a big fan of high elf chariots and usually take some in a cavalry army.)

In terms of your core units I think thats perfect, I certainly never take spears and just fill requirements with 10 man units of archers.

Maybe try and muscle in a reasonable size unit of Phoenix Guard, possible swappint the 12 man SM unit, but with the full command, then give them the banner of sorcery. Trust me these guys will not die easily

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the old set of alarielle the everqueen with 6 maiden guard, I was going to use her as my archmage, do you think 6 maiden guard would make a good 90 point phoenix guard bodybuard for her? Think 6 is enough? If so, where will I get the 90 points?
    Dwarfs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

57 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
    11 Swordmasters - Full Command 195

12 Swordmasters - Muso 186
    Aren't these one of the best units in the game? Plus I like them most of our infantry.

6 Dragon Princes - Muso, Standard, Banner of Sorcery 260
    Expensive, but I've got to believe this banner is worth it, I want to absolutely own my magic phase, with these dice, plu the DM getting plus 1 EACH spell, I think I should have most of my spells going off when and where I want them.
    Basically I would take this bit of the list and rewrite it thus:

11 Swordmasters - Musician 171

12 Phoenix Guard - Full Command, Banner of Sorcery 260

6 Dragon Princes - Musician, Standard 210

This comes to the same number of points and I think it will make your banner and archmage much safer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I kinda like your plan.

I could do that, and then change the second sword squad from 12 swords to 12 Phoenix guard? Where would I put the noble? Do you like him? Still with the one remaining unit of swords?
    Last edited by northoceanbeach; April 28th, 2009 at 20:22.
    Dwarfs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

57 (x1)

I think the location of the noble is something you should just roll with.

If your opponent is packing a lot of magical atack, then you might want to add some extra protection to the PG unit, but if him being in the swords is the difference between them getting into combat and not, then its well worth it.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

The list is solid but I am fairly certain that the Dragon mage cannot take magical armour since he cannot take mudane armour.

It's a bit of a dilemma for the poor fellow but most people who want to protect him give him the Gaurdian Phoenix.

I think that he is also better off with the Silver Wand, that extra spell means an extra dice in your casting phase, means more dispelling for your opponent. Then give The seer staff to your archmage, if you are wanting specific spells. While you may like the look of certain lores be flexible, different lores suit different opponents and to only choose from Heavens and High you leave out some of the best spells in the game.

Also your BSB cannot take both magic items and magic banners, it is either, or so you need to lose the Enchanted shield which is a bit of a drag, but he is swinging a great weapon anyway so couldn't use the shield in combat. If you give him a regular shield then you can still opt to use a hand weapon and shield if you need the save.

Personally I don't like the Banner of the World Dragon, particularly in this list where you have no must protect unit. 1 unit cannot be harmed by magic but everyone else is vulnerable, this is fine if you have a very large must survive points sink but not so good if all your units are a bit of a threat, I guess I would put him in the Sword Masters as they are the most Vulnerable but it is your call.

Sorry this was a bit of a negative post, it is a good list especially for a second list.

PS if you don't want to min/max then don't, it is your army build it and play it how you like.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

57 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Allonairre View Post
    I think that he is also better off with the Silver Wand, that extra spell means an extra dice in your casting phase, means more dispelling for your opponent.
    I'm afraid it doesn't.

As a level 2 mage he will only be able to cast 2 spells a turn (little known limit as it rarely comes up) so he'll still only get a maximum of 2 bonus dice.

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by stratovarion View Post
    I'm afraid it doesn't.

As a level 2 mage he will only be able to cast 2 spells a turn (little known limit as it rarely comes up) so he'll still only get a maximum of 2 bonus dice.
    I am pretty certain you are wrong there. A mage can only cast spells with power dice generated by him/her, and those avaliable in the pool, and to a maximum number of dice that is +1 of their level, so a lvl 2 mage can use a maximum of 3 dice to cast a spell.

As long as there are enough dice avaliable to the mage, he can cast as many spells as he likes, as long as he has different spells. (can't cast the same one twice in one phase)

He doesn't generate any extra dice, but is entitled to the extra spell as another casting, meaning, as long as he has pool dice, he can generate an extra 'free' dice from the reckless rule

ninja out
    Last edited by gingerninja; April 29th, 2009 at 13:14.
    New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

57 (x1)

Having just reread the rule book I owe you an apology, sir Ninja.

It came up in a battle the other day with my dragon mage and a much more experienced player than I informed me of the rule. As I couldn't think of any other time it would have come up I believed the dishonourable gent.

Just looked at the book now and it says nothing of the sort. Thanks for setting me right

No need to apologise. I just thought it would help you in the future - GN out
    Last edited by gingerninja; April 29th, 2009 at 17:06.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast