A little Help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A little Help

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

A little Help

I am considering entering the local tournament down here, it is a 2000 pt tournament and I wanted to use my ToP army and the miniatures that I have that I consider to be painted to a similar standard. This leaves me a very limited range of models, I am just curious to see which direction you would take the list given the limited range of models.

Characters
    1 Prince or Noble

1 Noble w/ Bow

1 Mage mounted w/ Staff

1 Mage on foot

1 BSB Mounted

Core
    2x10 Archers with musicians

Special
    13 Swordmasters with an additional 2 commands

6 Dragon Princes with a standard and Champion

5 Ellyrion Reavers w/musician

1 Tiranoc Chariot

6 Shadow Warriors

Rare
    3 Bolt Throwers

2 Eagles

I have some ideas about what I could do but I will leave them off here for now, I have to base everything as well as tidy up a couple of units and paint the 2nd unit of archers.

I would like the list to be competitive, but obviously no special characters, preferably with the Prince (he is my favourite mini) the Reavers and as many SMs as will fit,

Can't wait to see what you come up with, my attempts have been a bit on the soft side.

Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    125 (x4)

Yikes! No spearmen, eh?

Seems you have to concentrate defensively with all the archers and RBTs. Shouldn't be too difficult with all the march blockers/war machine hunters you have and you could easily counter with the power of those swordmasters as well as a chariot and the DPs.

Short outline:

Characters

I'd go with an Archmage but that's your choice. Put standard bearer in front of the archers but behind the SMs. Off course the noble with reaver bow and MAYBE, the second mage as a pure dispeller, possibly even with the reavers harassing the enemy.

Archers preferably on a hill, swordmasters split in two both with champ and musician, but no banner. Keep the DPs in a location where they can easily charge from, reavers harassing and taking war machines or mages, shadow warriors and an eagle march blocking to ensure you get some kills before CC.

At last the RBTs should make up the rnaged power you need.

These lists are extremely difficult to play with an army that is not designed for it. It would be a huge advantage if you could play more offensively, but with the models given this would be fatal.

Hope it helped,

Regards,
    5000p. High Elves
    1000p. Eldar

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

This was the direction I was leading initially and without a doubt the army would be more competitive with an archmage instead of a Prince, but he is my favourite miniature, and I have never lost a game with him on the table. I am guessing that will change but hey a little superstition never hurt.

I have spears but they really won't fit in with the rest of the army unfortunately.

The list was the general direction that it seemed to be taking for me as well, thanks for the help I will post a list sometime tomorrow.

More advice is welcome.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bored on a Saturday night and wanted to challenge myself.

Characters

Prince - [228]
    -Sacred Incense
    -Armor of Caledor
    -Amulet of Light
    -Great Weapon

Mage - [140]
    -annulian crystal

Mage - [201]
    -level 2
    -seerstaff
    -dispel scroll
    -barded elven steed

Noble - [218]
    -BSB
    -Battle Banner
    -Barded Elven Steed
    -Dragon Armor
    -Lance
    -Shield

Total Characters: 875

Core

Archers x 10 - 115
    -musician
    Archers x 10 - 115
    -musician

Total Core: 230

Special:

Swordmasters x 13 - [260]
    -full command
    -talisman of loec
    -banner of arcane protection

Dragon Princes x 6 [260]
    -standard bearer
    -champion
    -war banner

Total Special: 520

Rare:

3 Repeater Bolt Throwers - xxx
    1 Great Eagle - xxx

Total Rare: 350
    PD: 6, DD: 5 (steals a PD) + 1 scroll

Total Points: 1975

Prince goes with SM, 7x2.
    BSB goes with DP, consider moving DP to 5 as 6 25mm bases is max frontage against 5 20mm.
    Mages stick with archers, or hide in terrain depending on placement.
    25 extra points could go towards skeinsliver/helm of fortune for the DP champ, or maybe to sub an eagle or bolt thrower out for your SW or ER.

It's tough to focus on a specific element with the models you have painted, but you may be able to accomplish a lot with a balanced army. Your magic phase will be a little lacking without taking an archmage, but there's ways to get around that. I personally love the Annulian Crystal, but you may want to drop it in favor of scrolls against heavy magic armies since it's value drops significantly as their PD increase. I really like the idea of a heavily fortified (MR 2, -1 to hit on shooting, 10 leadership) SM unit wrecking havoc across the field while the DP unit with the BB (giving it 4-9 SCR) run down their hammers. 3 Bolt Throwers give you a very big edge in the shooting phase. March interdiction (which you have available in spades as far as your painted units go), is a bit lacking in this list. I'd really like to be able to fit some shadow warriors in to mess with war machine crews, but you'd have to shuffle some points around.

Obviously this list is a bit of a mashup, but I hope you can take something from it.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

399 (x8)

That is a good list, I agree about it needing something extra in terms of march blockers, this was the problem that I kept running up against as well. There just aren't enough points to make the army work properly.

Thanks for the help, it seems a solid list.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't you need more then 2 core units for a HE army? I thought it was like 3-4 for 2000 points?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

399 (x8)

No, High Elves need less core than other armies, so 2 is enough.
    At 2000 pts its 2 Core, 6 Special, and 4 rare, this is different to every other army in the game as far as I know they are all 3,5,2.

Games Workshop wanted the focus of the HE armies to be an elite army this was their way of doing it I guess.

Ok so this is what I have sort of come up with, let me know what you think, be brutal.

Prince 232 (+ xx if including incense or Scroll or Ring)
    Great Weapon
    Radiant Gem of Hoeth
    Armour of Caledor
    Sacred Incense, Scroll, Ring of Corin

Mage L2 170
    Scroll
    Jewel of Dusk

Mage L2 197
    Steed
    Seerstaff
    Scroll

Noble BSB 178 (+ xx if Battle Banner)
    Barded Steed
    Dragon Armour
    Shield
    Lance
    Battle Banner, Ring of Fury, StarLance, Temakador's Gauntlets

Core 230
    2x 10 Archers
    Musician

Special

7 Swordmasters 117
    Champion

7 Swordmasters 117
    Champion

5 Dragon Princes 170
    Champion

5 Reavers 97
    Musician

Tiranoc Chariot 85

Rare
    3 Bolt Throwers

Great Eagle

1943 + xx

So as it stands 8 PD, 5 DD w/ 2 scrolls

I would love to include the Reaver bow but I think that this is a more competitive fit, mostly because I am defensively minded.

Tactics
    Reasonably simple
    Put the Archers about 10" on with the SM behind them, Shoot, Eagle and reavers march block or hunt warmachines opponents shooting. Archers can flee from a charge or move to let SM through after shooting has been damaged. Magic Fills in holes, 3 attempts at Drain magic against magic heavy enemy, Sheild of Saphery against shooting heavy... I can figure that part out.
    BSB goes with the DP, deploy very deep, want to hit the flanks right before they hit my line, unless they are needed to hunt Shooting/magic units. They are also crucial for late game table quarter grab, the line would be quite static in a lot of games so making sure that something is able to shoot out and contest/ capture table quarters will be important.

Against all combat armies, Deploy with a refused flank, march block the far flank, and deploy the SM further forward, hopefully this will allow me to split their force, and deal with each flank individually, I think I am dreaming really but that is the theory, I can't see any easy games though.
    Last edited by Allonairre; May 3rd, 2009 at 22:15.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought SwordMasters were restricted to 1 unit per army. Has that been changed?

Otherwise, beware of units that can do damage, and shooty armies. Sure the Chariots and DragonPrinces have armor, but if enough arrows are being thrown at them, then it is statistically possible to have S3 archers drop your units if they have enough shooters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My turn to have a go:

Prince - Sacred incense, AoL, Term Gauntlets, DA, Sh, Gr weapon - 248
    Noble - Reaverbow, Grw, DA - 139
    Lvl 1 Mage - 2 Scrolls - 140
    BSB - Battle Banner, Barded Steed, Lance, DA, Sh

10 Archers + Mu 115
    10 Archers + Mu 115

13 Swordmasters + FC ToL, Banner Arc Prot / Lion banner 260
    6 Dragon Princes + Standard, Banner of Ellryion, Champion 235
    5 Reavers + Mu 92
    Tiranoc Chariot / 5 Shadow Warriors

3 RBT + 1 Eagle 350
    1997 with TC

Not really sure on the cost effectiveness of the prince. Maybe drop him , but there's not much more to add.

Prince in the SM deployed 7x2 with incense and BAP should be relatively survivable. RB Noble and Mage with RBT crews, unless you stick them both inthe SMs. BSB in DP, much forest hiding and surprising people, also the occasional BSB charging out by himself to take on small units. Archers and RBT grouped to concentrate fire for much panic tests and damage, and to whittle down teh enemy for TC / DP /SM charges. Eagle and Reavers to cause trouble. Basically an army requiring a hill, chilling and shooting, and a cavalry sweep down 1 side. I'd rather back them up with a second cav unit at teh expense of the prince, but there we go.
    Last edited by tjat_42; May 4th, 2009 at 11:21.

+ Reply to Thread