2000 point High Elves Force (Friendly games, needs a bit of help) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 point High Elves Force (Friendly games, needs a bit of help)

This is my third attempt at a High Elves army list and I need a bit of advice on unit selection and general tactics. I will be using this army mainly against a Vampire Counts Horde, a goblin heavy Orcs & Goblins force lead by Grimgor Ironhide and a all infantry, Great-sword heavy empire army. Here's the list:

Heroes Choice (join Sword Masters): Mage. Level-2, Folariath's Robes. 180 points.
    Heroes Choice (join Sword Masters): Mage. Level-2, Gem of Sunfire, Dispel Scroll. 185 points.
    Core Choice: 20 Spear-elves. Full Command Group. 205 points
    Core Choice: 20 Spear-elves. Full Command Group. 205 points.
    Core Choice: 14 Archers.
    Special Choice: 14 Sword Masters. Full Command Group. 240 points.
    Rare Choice: Repeating Bolt Thrower.

I have left a 400 point gap for you to fill with any Units or Characters you see fit to do so with. Thank you for your time and any advice would be deeply appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heya

I suppose the main question is what do you have? Or are you starting from scratch?

The main thing I'd say is elves are an elite army, generally you don't go with more than the minimum core choices. My current favourite is 10 archers (to sit with rbts) and 25 spears with full command and warbanner, so they have +3 for ranks, +2 for standard and usually + 1 outnumber and 16 S3 attacks, though i generally beef it up with a noble.

In terms of magic, at 2000+ my thoughts are [teclis]/[archmage+lvl2] or minimal defensive, lvl 1 with 2 dispel scrolls. You either want to dominate or not bother, anything in between is likely to be dispelled and therefore pointless, so a waste of points.

Depends also if you want offensive or defensive, against those 2 armys, they're relatively less shooty, so a defensive RBTs + archers with 1 eagle/5 shadow warriors to march block. Then depending what you prefer, chariot and cavalry to charge once the enemy gets nearish, or white lions / swordmasters to take the charge and crush them with ASF skillz.

The tactic sticky on the main page is good, I'm thinking of writing a blog of briefly my thoughts so far.

Happy hunting!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you very much for the tips, I have revised the list now to follow your advice.

The tactic is to put the Archmage into the Sword Masters unit to keep them protected (Shield of Saphery), When they get into combat the Archmage will be protected by Folariath's Robes. The Spear-Elves and Noble will go into combat against enemy-infantry which, in the case of the goblins, Empire and maybe the vampire armies, the Elves will (oddly) outnumber and hopefully cause them to flee with: Outnumber, Standard, Warbanner and with 15 strength 3 attacks from the Spear-Elves and 3 Strength 4 attacks from the noble, the amount of wounds they cause will also help to win the combat. The 2 Repeating Bolt Throwers will sit back with the Archers and hack up any threats such as enemy units attempting to flank attack the Spear-Elves or Sword Masters. On my other Mage I dropped the Guardian Phoenix to give him another dispel scroll, always helpful when the vampire player has the tactic of "raise up an extra horde of zombies or so!", because the mage wouldn't have any protection in close combat with out his Guardian Phoenix and there for could not protect the Sword Masters, I decided to add a unit of Phoenix Guard which with Cause Fear and a 4+ Ward Save can protect themselves as well as a small unit of Shadow Warriors to add some fire support, take down war machine crews and capture table quarters. Ok, here goes again:

Lords Choice (join Sword Masters): Archmage. Level-4, Folariath's Robes, 1 Dispel Scroll. 305 points.

Heroes Choice: Mage. Level-2, 2 Dispel Scrolls. 180 points.
    Heroes Choice (Join Spear-Elves): Noble. Heavy Armour, Shield, Spear. 93 points.

Core Choice: 25 Spear-elves. Full Command Group, Warbanner. 275 points
    Core Choice: 10 Archers.

Special Choice: 15 Phoenix Guard. Full Command Group. 255 points.
    Special Choice: 15 Sword Masters. Full Command Group. 255 points.
    Special Choice: 5 Shadow Warriors.

Last edited by The_Everchoosen; May 5th, 2009 at 12:44. Reason: army list wrong

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heya

That looks pretty good, one or two changes. If you're going that magical, Banner of Sorcery on one of the swordmasters is a must. Also I'd give the archmage the ring of fury or silver wand and another scroll and swap a scroll on the lvl 2 for the seerstaff so you can choose the spells you want. That way the archmage has 5/6 spells on a list or 4/6 + ring of fury, and the lvl2 has 2 of his choice.

Personal opinion but i reckon theirs one too many elite infantry units in there, and as Phoenix guard need large numbers for static combat res, I'd get rid of them and have the main spears flanked by the 2 units of swordmasters. This is going to be fairly defensive, so I'd use the extra points for the stuff I said before, and add an rbt.

Also a good kit out for a noble would be reaver bow, great weapon, Heavy armour, 137. 3 BS6 S5 shots, 3 WS6 S6 combat attacks, really adds to the spears power. The current guy, while useful isn't maximising his potential. Any points left maybe an eagle to march block. I really like dragon princes, but there's not really place for them in this list.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

looks kinda solid, but i would get the archmage out of the swordmasters unless you also give him the talisman of saphery, that will make him almost invulnerable in combination with folariath's robes. if you won't do that, then put him in the back of your army (archers) and give him the book of hoeth, or swap him with teclis even.

good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

comment

I think you need an eagle or two for redirection and war machine hunting. They do really good as march blockers. This way your army can deal with half or more of his force at one time.

I like the amulet of light with a sword master champion.

The banner of sorcery is nice when you have this magical combo.

Play with the list several times and that will be the bottom line.

+ Reply to Thread