Friendly Tournament Army :D 2000pts (Help, Tips & Criticism Welcome) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Friendly Tournament Army :D 2000pts (Help, Tips & Criticism Welcome)

OK guys, first thanks for coming to help :) Now atm my model range consists of:
    -35 Spearmen
    -24 Archers
    -20 White Lions
    -Prince Imrik (My lord on Dragon)
    -5 Reavers
    -5 Dragon Princes
    -A couple of mages and heroes
    -and 2 RBT's

So preferably i don't want to buy anything atm but if you feel its really necessary to make this list competitive please say. :)
    (And i was thinking my next purchase to be either SM or PG, any ideas on which would be more helpful?)

Prince - 620
    - Star Lance
    - Star Dragon
    - Armour of Caledor
    - Talisman of Saphery

Mage - 170
    - Dispel Scroll
    - Silver Wand
    - lvl 2

Mage - 175
    - Dispel Scroll
    - Jewel of Dusk
    - lvl 2

10 Archers - XXX

25 Spearmen - 250
    - FC

10 White Lions - XXX

10 White Lions - XXX

5 Dragon Princes - 170
    - Standard Bearer

2 RBT - XXX

Total - 1995pts

Talk your mind

Thanks,
    Sir Shadow

In future, please do not post points costs of units without upgrades, or individual models (Also welcome to LO) - ninja out

Last edited by gingerninja; June 8th, 2009 at 10:40. Reason: Points

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

If i was at this tournament then i would probably insult you if you werent forced to take the dragon because of lack of models. Taking a dragon in my opinion to tourneys other than BIG ones is just being sad, espcially when you say this is a friendly tournet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage. View Post
    If i was at this tournament then i would probably insult you if you werent forced to take the dragon because of lack of models. Taking a dragon in my opinion to tourneys other than BIG ones is just being sad, espcially when you say this is a friendly tournet
    Sorry are you saying the dragons a waste of points or that its too overpowered for a friendly tournament?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm never sure about friendly tourneys, how "friendly" it is!

I'd definitely go with the dragon, the usual outfit for the prince is Armour of Caledor, Vambraces of Defence, Amulet of Light, Halberd/Lance but yours looks good as well. Main issue is if anyone with a greatweapon survives your charge as they are likely to take you apart.

In terms of the magic, if you're going defensive 2 level 1s one with 2 scrolls and the other with the annulian crystal will cover most of it. If you're going offensive, 2 lvl 2s with seerstaff + scroll and Ring of fury and silver wand and the banner of sorcery. I prefer defensive, and this'd save you like 65 points, almost enough for a tiranoc chariot, some archers as shadow warriors for sneaking, or probably best used on some cool banners. I'd suggest Ellyrion for the DPs, the warbanner for the spearmen, either give the whitelions champions and deploy them 7 in the front rank or maybe amalgamate the 2 units and add full command and the lion banner so they won't go anywhere.

Oh also maybe use a mounted noble as an extra Dragon prince so they're up to 6 members. Obviously can't make all the changes, just pick the ones you like the look of most! I think the most important is beefing up the DPs and giving them the banner of ellyrion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks heaps tjat_42 you've been really helpful. Oh and the tournament is competitive, but only to the extent that every wants to win, i mean the prize is a single blister. :D its just at our local GW every Thursday night and pretty much just gives a specific time for a bunch of us to all meet. :) so anyways what do you think of revised list?

Prince - 620
    - Star Lance
    - Star Dragon
    - Armour of Caledor
    - Talisman of Saphery

Mage - 140
    - 2xDispel Scroll

Mage - 140
    - Annulian Crystal

10 Archers - XXX

20 Spearmen - 205
    - FC
    - Warbanner

21 White Lions - 370 (deployed 7 wide?)
    - FC
    - Lion Standard

6 Dragon Princes - 215
    - Standard Bearer
    - Banner of Ellyrion

2 RBT - XXX

Total - 2000pts
    Last edited by gingerninja; June 8th, 2009 at 10:41. Reason: Points Change

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No problem, happy to help! And I like the changes.

The scrolls mage is only 140, check the front of the magic section in the armybook, scrolls are cheaper for HE. So enough points for an extra white lion. The lions are 7 wide so against any enemy you get 8 attacks (champion) str 6 attacks before they get to strike and aim to win on kills rather than ranks and banners. Though still get +1 for a rank and +1 For the standard.

Only other thing i'd have to say is put the mages in the 4th rank of the spears in the middle so they don't cost you attacks, can't be hit and means the spears can lose 2 people before losing a rank bonus. Though this means people may target the unit more. If you want to play on this, set up other units to flank, with 6 combat res before their 16 S3 attacks they don't usually get beaten that badly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK cheers, well i edited the list and thats the one i'll use on thursday.
    I'll tell you how it goes.
    Oh and No-one has said anything, should my next purchase be Swordmasters or should i get phoenix guard?

Cheers,
    Sir Shadow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck!

Hadn't spotted that bit of your first post, in terms of PG vs SM, depends how much money you have and what you want from them.

PG generally need full rank bonus to be effective, and win combats by static combat res or a noble at the front killing stuff, so generally take the place of your big spear unit. They're often (and maybe best) used to guard an archmage / teclis and have the banner of sorcery. Very resilient, fear causing is useful, not that killy [I've done the maths they're worse than 3 ranks of spears against everything].

For your force I'd think SM would be the better option. Deployed 7 wide you get 15 S5 attacks before your enemy strikes! Always have a bladelord, mostly don't bother with a standard, musician depends on your remaining points. Against low shooting opposition they can be used aggressively as a flank of your whitelions / spears. Against high shooting armies they don't have the numbers or save so are best used as an archer / rbt guard or to hide behind terrain out of sight being threatening. Unit size you just want enough that 7 will get into combat, so 10 or less and careful deployment is fine. For jokes value give the bladelord the talisman of loec and challenge an enemy hero, 3 S5 attacks rerolling hits, wounds, and successful armour saves is very worrying! Since any hero should easily kill him, the dying at the end is not too much of a disadvantage.

Also I feel obliged at some point to big up the reaver bow, against less magic opponents, drop the crystal mage and add a noble with dragon armour, great weapon, reaverbow 139. 3 BS6 S5 shots, 3 WS6 S6 attacks, he's very very dangerous. Put him in a combat unit thats unlikely to march, so he can shoot lots, or with an rbt crew so he can shoot what he likes, and with a 10" charge and reasonable deployment he can save the archers or whoever when required.

+ Reply to Thread