Brutal 2500pts HE League List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

69 (x1)

Brutal 2500pts HE League List

Hi all,

Having entered (rather spontaneously I may add) a 2500pt summer/autumn WHFB league at my local game store, and having played two somewhat unconvincing games with a magic-heavy list, (one win-massacre, one loss-massacre), I decided to persevere with the Magic but go for some added reliability. Bear in mind, the rules of army composition are simple. You play the same race throughout the league, list composition changes are permitted, special characters are allowed, 2500points, no more.

So I've come up with this list as my default starting point:

Teclis – XXX pts.

Mage – 175 pts.
    Level 2, Annulian Crystal

Caradryan – XXX pts.

10 Archers – XXX pts.

10 Archers – XXX pts.

14 Swordmasters – 280 pts.
    Full Command, Amulet of Light, Lion Standard.

20 Phoenix Guard – 380 pts.
    Full Command, Banner of Sorcery.

6 Dragon Princes – 215 pts.
    Standard Bearer, Ellyrion Banner.

White Lion Chariot – XXX pts.

White Lion Chariot – XXX pts.

Repeater Bolt Thrower – XXX pts.

Repeater Bolt Thrower – XXX pts.

Great Eagle – XX pts.

Great Eagle – XX pts.

TOTAL – 2500 pts.
    PP: 8 + 2D3
    DP: 6 + D3 + +1 to Dispel + Scroll of Hoeth

I should explain a little. Firstly, I was originally taking a Level 4, and two Level 2s but was miscasting all over the place and unable to find consistency and reliability in a phase I was supposed to be dominating. For less points, I discovered I could take Teclis and garner some much needed stability. I love just how fragile he is, even in Elf terms, so I'm well up for the challenge of keeping him alive. As such, he's accompanied by fear-causing, Magic Resisting (3), Caradryan in the PGuard, who also drags his opponent down when killed. The lower level mage denies my opponent one of his own dice and will provide supportive magic - Shield of Saphery, Drain Magic, etc.

Minimum Core choices actually because I really love HE archers. They get the support job done. Simple as.

As far as the Specials go, the Swordmasters and Dragon Princes are designed for point-for-point killing efficiency and as such will be prime targets for Shields of Saphery. THe DPrinces also give a bit of flank speed. The PG compliment both Caradryan and protect Teclis. The Chariots will be run in a pair, giving extra manoevrability to a magic-dependant list and generally scaring things. Together, they should be able to take down some meaty units, or hit a flank.

The Rare choices are no brainers. RBT's give some versatile firepower and range, whilst the Eagles either march block (making my magic more effective as I'll have more turns to blast away), or they'll tackle backline problems where necessary. They'll most likely be run in a loose pair.

Ok, so what do you think?

In future, please do not post points costs of special characters, units without upgrades or individual models - GN out

Last edited by gingerninja; August 18th, 2009 at 10:28.
    Was this post helpful? Please click the Thumbs Up button to the left if it was. Cheers!

Quannum, funkin' out in every way. Since 1987.

2. Remove Advertisements

12 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

399 (x8)

I think that its a good list, certainly capable of packing some magical punch. There is no real weakness in the list, although it is rather small. I have not had much experience using Teclis and Caradryan but I guess that they make sense when played together.

It does give you a hugely expensive anvil unit in the Phoenix Gaurd but they should be easy enough to defend given their obvious strengths.

I hope that you are having more success with the new list although I doubt it will make any friends, 2 special characters in one list is nasty.

Good luck and let us know how the league pans out for you.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

262 (x7)

This list looks quite effective. My biggest concern would be making sure you get the first turn. A gunline or fast army could be into you before you can respond. If you can find a way to fit in the skeinsliver, I am sure it would pay off.

Try the following:

1) Change the 2 Lion Chariots to 3 Tiranoc Chariots. They are faster moving and just as effective.

2) Drop one Phoenix Guard

3) Get a champion for the Dragon Princes, and give him the Skeinsliver

This ups the number of models and wounds in your army, but also gives you a +1 to your roll for first turn and an extra attack in your Dragon Princes

Just my thoughts

ninja out
    New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    inside your head
    77 Post(s)
    2 Thread(s)

1480 (x8)

Along the idea of Alloniare saying that you list is too small, and GN telling you to swap out the WLCs...

Drop both WLCs in favor of a regiment of 6Dps w/ a Standard Bearer, Champion
    @ 220

This frees up 60pts for you. That's a champion in the other regiment of DPs, and 40pts to play with.

With these 40pts, drop 2 of your PGs (you have 2 characters in the unit to take their place in the ranks) and drop the command from your SMs. With the new 100pts that you have, you could buy 6 more Swordmasters and split them into 2 regiments. This would also leave you 10pts to play with.

I kept the Lion Standard and the Amulet of Light, as perhaps you could add the Amulet to your PG regiment, and the Lion Standard to the new regiment of DPs.

This adds in wounds for your army, and adds in 2 new regiments. Elves excel at MSU tactics, and using your SMs as a flankers is the better way to go. 14 of them just become a target for magic, shooting, and they don't hold out well in combat. Two regiments of 10 don't fare much better, but it helps to provide the enemy with more targets so that he has to split his fire between several different threats.

I know that several players are telling you to drop the chariots. It's not because they are an inherently bad unit. In fact, they have a statline to die for. However, they are vastly overpriced, and very very fragile. I typically don't even consider fielding one until a 3k game, but at that point, I'm still preferring to take DPs, I'm just out of models, haha.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

+ Reply to Thread