Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
As a novice Fantasy player please tell me what is your opinio about this list (is based on 2999 rules, but yes is exactly 3000 pts which is allowed in my gaming club for friendly lists - the half point of your cheapest model over the limit rule ).
So here we go:
2999 Pts - High Elves Army
Prince General; Great Weapon; Vambraces of Defence; Armour of Caledor; Star Dragon
Archers x 10
Archers x 10
White Lions x 25 Standard; Musician; Standard of Balance Guardian Gem of Courage
Swordmasters x 23 Standard; Musician; Banner of Arcane Protection Bladelord Amulet of Light Biting Blade
Noble Lance; Dragon Armour; Shield Battle Standard; Banner of the World Dragon Elf Steed: Barded
Mage lev 2
Repeater Bolt Thrower
Repeater Bolt Thrower
Dragon Princes x9 Standard; Musician; War Banner Drakemaster Sword of Battle
Dragon Princes x5 Standard; Musician; Banner of Ellyrion Drakemaster Skeinsliver
Total Army Cost: 3000
The idea is magic defense (scrolls, fire imunnity, one unit immune to magic, one is magic resistant 2, and some nice drain magic if lucky casted), one stubborn large unit to anchor, 3 fast hard hitting units, 2 eagles to search for some war machines/march blocking, fanatic launching, some shooting and a scary swordmasters unit.
What you think?
Last edited by niraco; November 29th, 2009 at 09:49.
How about you drop the Silver wand on the Mage and make him a LVL2. That gives you a chance to throw three dice at dispel magic every turn shooting for irresistable force. I can't imagine the extra spell will go off anyway, saves you 10 pts this way as I assume he is a lvl 2 anyway.
Maybe drop the sword of battle on the drakemaster of the large dragon prince unit for the Talismen of Loec, gives you a chance to really hurt something in a challenge you don't want your BSB facing.
Maybe the skeinsliver on the Swordmasters and the Amulate of Light on either the Prince on Stardragon or the little unit of dragon princes.
Two units of 7 with blademasters and musicians for the swordmasters, use the exta points to make a great eagle a RBT, and a couple more DPs for the baby unit. Banner of Arcane protection in one, with the Amulat of fire on the other Bladelord. With a single eagle and two very fast units of knights you should be able march block/engage much of their army. The 3rd bolt thrower allows you to choose a target and potentially take it out.
That is just my 2 cents. Keeps your general antmagic theme except for the Battle Banner which makes the DPs a unit capable of breaking anything breakable. If you are allowed special characters I would go with Caradryan and Tyrion instead of the Stardragon, would give you a MR2 and MR3 unit making mostly everything magic resistant. That is if you are allowed special characters. With Caradryan in your white lions you would end up with a massive unit of LD 9, stubborn, fear causers, with MR3, Str 6 attacks, and a Hero capable of hurting most opponents, an all terrain unit, also great ranged attack armor save as well.
the mage is level 2 i just forgot to write it...
ToL on drakemaster seems interesting.
Amulet of fire on a blademaster is not giving only that model a magic resistance 1? or because is a small unit it will be used if a wound must be placed on the bladelord?
The battle banner is an idea...i`ll use it depending the enemy.
Amulet of light on prince is more usefull due to dragon mobility??
No characters except fluffy battles
Amulet of fire on a bladelord will convey MR1 to the unit, though only fire immunity to the bladelord.
Battle banner is amazing against undead or daemons which can be killed by combat resolution.
Amulet of light makes both the Prince's and the Dragon's attacks magical. Useful to take out ethereal units, negate forest spirit's save, etc. What is better than having a giant fire breathing flying lizard, a magical giant fire breathing flying lizard. And with your lack of an offensive magic phase, this will allow you to take out ethereal units, otherwise you don't have an attack in the army that can do it. Putting it on your dragon gives your nastiest, fastest, unit the ability to take them out with ease.
If the Drakemaster is the model you are talking about - 1 wound? So you are giving your opponent a wound with the probability of causing maybe 2, and more likely just 1...Talismon of Loec will let your dragon master have a chance at dropping most hero level characters. A nasty surprise.
I would reserve Loec for a Prince on a Star Dragon TBH if I wasn't taking the talisman - more attacks, more wounds, more likelhood he'll need it.
Now to the list:
1) Why magical weapons on yor champions? Biting blade is good, but a BladeLord is paying for the same save modifier he'd get if he was wielding his normal, free greatsword? And the Drakemaster can't use his lance...
If you need amulet of light, fine, but don't give him a magical weapon as well..., and you ought to use magic and your Dragon Lord with the amulet of light as that unit is now packing S7 magical attacks
2) 23 Swordmasters is a waste - I'd rather go two units, one of 10, one of 13/14, or even reduce the size to 14 and have two ranks. Swordmasters pay for those additional ranks through the nose and are more efificent at causing wounds. Each "rank" if deployed as a 5-man unit, will generate more combat res than a single 23 man regiment will....(unless facing 0+ save enemies with T6 or more)
3) Same argument with the Lions - why have a huge unit like this? S6 GW don't work if the White Lion has a 4 comrades in front of him. Maybe a unit of 12? Or 2 units of 12?
4) I would opt for Battle Banner or Warbanner somewhere. Maybe drop the Banner of the World Dragon on the Noble, give him the Battle Banner, and take the gem of fire on the accompanying Dragon Prince champion?
5) At 3K points, EVEN with the magical protection you have, you are going to get eaten. I would go for another mage (at 3K you can get one), with more scrolls or maybe the annulian crystal. As you have very few PD, I would expect you to lose the magic phase heavily. Your magical forces are concentrating on defence - I would suggest not bothering with level 2s. And Silver Wand is pointless
6) Why the Great Weapon on your Prince. He's only S5 then. You could get something cool on the model like the star lance or sword of heroes, or even a plain lance would be better..
Drakemaster loses his lance when you give him a magical weapon as he must use the magical weapon.
Great weapon on a mounted character is only +1 str, so better off with a lance, and especially the star lance with talismon of loec if you can afford it.
A trick for small unit tactics with the sword masters is let then outpace your block of lions, wo if a unit charges the lions, you get a flank charge on them. For most armies having a small unit ahead of their armies allows the enemy to charge the small unit and break it, not so with swordmasters. Most of the time if something wants to charge the swordmasters and doesn't have impact hits, let them, their loss.
The rules for magical weapons state that if the model is equipped with a magical weapon it cannot use any otehr weapons that it carries in place of the magic weapon....hence a model equipped with a magical weapon cannot use a mundane lance or a mundane great weapon.
Try 3 ranks - 2 of 7 and 1 of 6, to maximise the attacks you get for only -1 on ranks (which are generally going to lose anyway in a 5x4 block to shooting).
Cheers and good luck!