<1000 Finally Decided on A List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally Decided on A List

I've finally decided on an all commers 1000 point list but I need lots of C&C, and will a "magic heavy" cavalry list work? Sorry about all the lists, but this is my last one for a while.

Thanks

Mage = 179
    - Lvl 2
    - Seerstaff of Saphery
    - Elven Steed

Mage = 157
    - Lvl 2
    - Silver Wand
    - Elven Steed

10x Archers

5x Dragon Princes

5x Dragon Princes

5x Dragon Princes

Repeater Bolt Thrower

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, I love Mages on horses. I think it's tactically sound, though I would be worried about my archers and bolt thrower being left behind and snatched up by the opponent for a free 210 points. You definitely need their support though, so I don't have any ideas on improving it. Just do your best to keep them alive long enough to do some damage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I see your point, but it really wasn't as much of a problem as I thought

Can someone please help me with lores? I have absolutely no idea as to which ones to take, one should be high magic I know, but what else, I am completely lost in terms of them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen this with a lot of HE lists but... You only have one core, being the archers. I know for a fact that DP's aren't core, do HE's get special rule other than more special and rare choices?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scratch that, I checked it out, sorry. I dont play High Elves so I didnt know. That's pretty cool, looks like a hard hitting list. Try it out then battle report us so we can see out it went. I agree with Ven though, I'd be worried about the archers and bolt thrower, they're just asking to be hunted while the rest of your army runs up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're right. One should have high magic. The other one should depend on what you want to do in a specific battle. Use it to counter the enemies strengths or exploit their weaknesses. Your lore gives you an incredible amount of flexibility, so do your best to figure out what your enemy is planning. Do it fast though. You _have_ to roll your spells _before_ they start deploying so you only have the terrain preparation to plan.

I don't have a book with me, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Here's what I would suggest for different situations:

Light: Sorry, not much experience with this. The heal is nice, but it's really only got one good damage spell. On the bright side, the spells are easy to cast, so your mages shouldn't even worry about how expensive(ie, high casting cost) the spells are. Mostly it should be general support, I suppose.

Heavens: Once again, not much experience using this. Sorry. I know a lot about countering it though. Lizardmen will usually have at least one skink priest running around with this, so it's not a bad idea to read up on all of the spells. Mostly, it seems to be pretty offensive in nature. expensive though.

Death: Still no experience, but I understand it's actually quite good against undead armies. I think. Read up on it. Honestly. I know nothing about this one.

Shadow: You should be careful with this one. Pit of Shadows is great for taking out war machines and other low initiative units, but your level two wizards will have difficulty getting it off without it getting dispelled. Instead, use Shadows to play up your cavalry. That Creeping Death no-armour-save spell is great taking out small units of knights, so use it to gain superiority when it comes to mounted combat. Use the other spells to enhance your already impressive maneuverability and route enemies faster.

Metal: Dwarves don't like this. Use the default spell to pick out high-armour characters. Use commandment of brass to stop war engines. I would avoid distillation of silver in favor of the default spell. The other spells would be great if you had more attrition units, but if your cavalry absolutely fail to do anything in the charge use it to give them the edge in close combat.

Life: Great for shooty armies. Also good for long range offense if you're sure there will be a lot of terrain. Life is a Wood Elf killer, in short. Being able to measure from terrain features probably isn't too much of an incentive for your mobile army, but howler wind will keep bullets away from you and rain lord can keep war machines from frying you too much. If you get Master of Stone just crush every single ranged unit or war machine that happens to be on a hill. It's little difficult to cast, but worth it.

Fire: Offensive. The End. Use it on hoard armies to reduce their numbers enough to keep you from getting swarmed. It would be better on a dragon mage, but it isn't entirely useless otherwise.

Beasts: I like this one and I think it might be the strongest choice. Beast Cowers will keep Monsters and other cavalry at bay, Hunters Spear will take out tough enemies, Oxen Stands gets your fleeing dragon princes back into the fight and lastly, if your wizard is with your dragon princes, Bears Anger will turn him into a killing machine.

High Magic: I know, it seems redundant, but consider it. It's difficult to get Vaul's Unmaking or Flames of the Phoenix through, but casting it twice gives you a better chance, and the default is too useful to pass up out of hand. Really, though, the main reason this is appealing is if the enemy is playing a high magic army. You probably won't run into too much magic at high points, but against Vampire counts drain magic will keep their army from swelling to unmanageable numbers.

Hope that helped. Keep in mind though, I mostly play infantry armies. Read the spells yourself to make sure I know what the heck I'm talking about.
    Last edited by VenDraciese; April 1st, 2010 at 19:07.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x3)

Such a list could actually be fun. Give it a try, that won't hurt. I think it'd be lovely if you managed to have a dispel scroll, though.

The second mage's lore should be picked depending on your opponent's army. Who are your regular opponents?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I proxy almost everything and so do my opponents, so almost everything is playable, we ussually dont play DE, deamons, and VC. Although O&G, Empire, and Bretonians are most common.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x3)

Well then, if this is the situation I'd say:
    vs O&G Fire (damagedamagedamage)
    vs Empire Life (useful against Cannons and such) or Heavens (well rounded, unlimited range for targeting warmachines from turn 1 and one spell that allows no AS, useful against heavily armoured knights) or Metal.
    vs Bretonnians Metal, even if the hyperultra spell no saves for the whole unit will be uncastable with a lvl2 mage.

My two cents, hope it helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks all, you're the best! Just one last question, what are the best high elf spells for a level 2, I was thinking flames of the pheonix, on 3 dice you will get it off around 50% of the time, which can be devastating. Also, shield and curse sound pretty nasty too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast