<2000 Magic and Missile Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Magic and Missile Army

So, I've recently started WHFB, and have also recently chosen HE. I have been drawn to a magic and missile heavy army, so here it goes:

Lords
    Teclis

Heroes
    Mage, Level 2, Seerstaff, Dispell Scroll
    Mage, Level 2, Banner of Socery
    Mage, Level 2, Annulian Crystal and Silver Wand

Core
    10 Lothern S.G.
    10 Lothern S.G.
    10 Lothern S.G.
    10 Lothern S.G.

Special
    6 Sword Masters

Rare
    x4 Repeater Bolt Throwers

Total: 2000

So the idea is that every mage and Teclis will get one unit of 10 Lothern Sea Guard to roll with, the 4 RBTs will sit on a hill and shoot anything that poses a threat while the sword masters charge the first thing that gets within charge range of them, as they will be slightly ahead of the battle line. Hopefully the SM can put a dent in something and then the RBTs or mages will finish it off.

What you think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

Welcome to WHFB

It's a pretty cheesey and unbalanced list, I must say.

Teclis is a point sink at 2k if you are also going to take three level 2's. You have 1030 points tied up just in magic, 4 models..
    I think a regular Level 4 and two level 2's will give you a potent enough magic phase, while costing a lot less.

The units of sea guard are fragile and wont offer any protection for your characters except against shooting.

If your oppenent rolls a strong combat list and gets first turn, you will most likely only get 1 turn of shooting and magic before he starts charging you.
    Most 2000pt lists will have 1 or 2 dispel scrolls, so he can shrug off the worst of your magic for that turn. Add in a miscast or some poor dice rolling and the game is bacially over for you on turn 2.
    On the other hand if you get first turn and get in 2 good turns of magic and shooting, things may go better for you. But why roll a list that is a 50/50 gamble like that?

You can cut back your shooting/magic to add in some more combat protection, while still having a shooty list.. something like..

Mage, level 3-4
    Mage, level 2
    Mage. level 2
    10 sea guard
    10 sea guard
    bolt thrower
    bolt thrower

Spend the rest on Melee/combat protection (i.e 1 or 2 strong blocks of 20-25 spearmen, etc)

Cheers
    Last edited by Manu_Forti; June 9th, 2010 at 03:35.
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tyland13 View Post
    So, I've recently started WHFB, and have also recently chosen HE. I have been drawn to a magic and missile heavy army, so here it goes:

Lords
    Teclis
    quite expensive, but ultimate magical doom=cool
    Heroes
    Mage, Level 2, Seerstaff, Dispell Scroll
    nice build, provides plenty of power and variety, allowing you to pick the right spell for the right game
    Mage, Level 2, Banner of Socery
    this build is illegal, a mage cannot take a banner
    Mage, Level 2, Annulian Crystal and Silver Wand
    this build is also illegal, one model cannot take two magic Items, try Ring of Fury and Silver wand for a good build

Core
    10 Lothern S.G.
    10 Lothern S.G.
    10 Lothern S.G.
    10 Lothern S.G.
    I personally do not really like Lothern Sea Guard.... their high cost coupled with the short range on their bows really is a problem for them... if you wish, try swapping them out with some archers, longer range and they cost less
    Special
    6 Sword Masters
    a small block, might do some damage, maybe if you can find the points, bump up to 7, otherwise these are perfect
    Rare
    x4 Repeater Bolt Throwers
    everybody loves these things, and it isn't a shooty high elf list without them, good choice, they will always serve you well.
    Total: 2000

So the idea is that every mage and Teclis will get one unit of 10 Lothern Sea Guard to roll with, the 4 RBTs will sit on a hill and shoot anything that poses a threat while the sword masters charge the first thing that gets within charge range of them, as they will be slightly ahead of the battle line. Hopefully the SM can put a dent in something and then the RBTs or mages will finish it off.

What you think?
    my comments in red

the list is powerful, just what I would write, take note of my points and you can tune this list to be extremely powerful
    To Sleep Tzeentch shall come for us all in the end.
    Perchance to Dream To change the living, to the dead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

above reply is a little misleading in that you CAN take 2 magic items, just not 2 arcane items.

Cheers
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to agree that there is not enough protection for your mages. Yes, having that many Sea Guard does offer you alot of shots, but you also have to remember that they are all S3 shots, with short(er) range. Wounding at 50% (or worse if facing dwarfs, chaos, orcs, etc) and allowing full armor save is not going to help too much if the enemy is already that close to you. I would definitly change the Sea Guard to archers, and use the left over points to build up a nice spear block with a war banner. Also I would cut one RBT in favor of an eagle. The list would still be very shooty, but you need something to march block, and eagles are perfect for the job. Marchblocked units = extra turn or two of shooting them.

Also, I understand that is more of a fail-safe than anything else, but you've got so many mages that I think you'll have enough dispell dice to cut out the scroll on the mage. If nothing else, Teclis has his scroll...

If you really want the banner or sorcery, give the swordmasters a standard bearer and give them the banner of sorcery. I wouldn't suggest this, because it would be way too easy to just shoot them away, and if they break in combat (which they will at that size) it'll just give your opponent one more standard, but it is currently your best bet of keeping the banner without a major overhaul of your list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe you could give something along these lines a go

Teclis

Mage
    Level Two
    Dispel Scroll
    Seerstaff of Saphery

Mage
    Level Two
    Jewel of the Dusk
    Sacred Incense

Mage
    Level Two
    Silver Wand
    Ring of Fury

11 Archers

11 Archers

11 Archers

23 Spearmen
    Full Command
    Warbanner

Repeater Bolt Thrower

Repeater Bolt Thrower

Repeater Bolt Thrower

Great Eagle

Couple of points left over, still plenty of shooting, lots of magic with a bound and at least 13 power dice, it may have 7 less archers and 1 less rbt, but stick that great eagle behind his troops to march block and watch his units vanish

hope I've been some help
    To Sleep Tzeentch shall come for us all in the end.
    Perchance to Dream To change the living, to the dead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good points from all of you, and i do realise that this list is a failed attempt at cheese, I guess I;ve been playing 40k for too long . . . I'll post a new army list sometime, one that has some more combat protection, and is less shooty. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think 128th_king is on to something. That list looks good and I don't believe in that cheesy list crap. There is no cheesy list if it is within the rules set forth by GW. Thus Teclis is not a "cheesy" pick. He is however a major points cost.

+ Reply to Thread