<1000 Owain Gwynyr's Costal Patrol: 1000 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Owain Gwynyr's Costal Patrol: 1000

--LORDS--
    N/A

--HEROES--
    Lv2 Mage
    Trickster's Pendant
    Jewel of the Dusk
    TOTAL - 180

--CORE UNITS--
    20 Lothern Sea Guard
    Full Command
    Shields
    TOTAL - 295

20 Lothern Sea Guard
    Full Command
    Shields
    TOTAL - 295

--SPECIAL UNITS--
    10 White Lions of Chrace
    Full Command
    TOTAL - 180

--RARE UNITS--
    Great Eagle

Basically, I'm going to use the Eagle to lead the baddies away from my LSG, and my White Lions will be going forward for some CC, whilst my LSG will whittle away at the bitches.

This is my first attempt at a HE list, as I have bought all the army books and am only going by theoretical knowledge. If it helps though, I will be facing an Empire General.

WH40K - Farsight's Slayers
    WHFB - Myfanwy Blaithin's Costal Brigade - 2000 HE

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to whittle them away then I suggest some Bolt Throwers, as ours are the best, and to get points for that you could take away from the LSG. Another thing I would suggest is that instead of having two units of LSG, have seperate units of Archers and Spearmen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with the statement about needing a bolt thrower as it will boost your capability of taking down tougher targets that all the Strength 3 attacks in the world just can't take down affectively. I think that you should keep the lothern sea guard or at least one unit of them.

As rumors are being confirmed about the next edition the sea guard are going to get a boost to shooting that will make them a very useful core choice. I have always played at least a unit of them in all of my lists. They remind me of marines and they have proven themselves multiple times. This has been mainly due to their stand and shoot ability, in combination with being able to rain down arrows in your shooting phase. If the rumors are right, when the sea guard unit is charged, not only do they have 20 attacks by being a basic high elf spearmen they will also get to shoot 15 bow shots at the charging unit.

Their weaknesses are why you need a bolt thrower. Their bows are relatively short range giving you 2-3 volleys before they get into combat. Also, their short range means they will be taking negatives to hit because, they will be shooting at their max range most of the time. Keep in mind for few that do hit these are all strength 3 shots. What I usually try to do, which is where replacing a unit of sea gaurd might be a good suggestion is to take a bolt thrower, or some dedicated archers to increase your effective shooting range, or to take another mage.

Why another mage you might ask?
    1) It is for better defense against other magic. Enemy magic can be quite nasty to blocks of high elf units. A Skraven player once had more magic than I and hit my 24 unit of seaguard with full command and a nice banner dropping them from toughness 3 to 2 (permanently). Ouch! Needless to say when my line was charged the unit melted and faded away.

2) High magic has some useful spells that can really buff your army. There is one that offers a 5+ ward save to a unit which is great against shooting.
    There is one that makes an enemy unit vulnerable to arrows which can help compensate for shooting at long ranges and at strength 3. This kind of spell will also give a huge boost to a bolt thrower if you use one. Many people shy away from using the single "big bolt" because it generally misses half the time. This kind of spell can make tough shots almost a sure thing. There are few other spells that you will find most helpful if you can get them off.

In short, if you can control the magic phase, you can also rule the shooting phase. These two things combined can make the combat phase much more barrable.

I like you list. I am actually trying to collect enough sea guard to have as much as you.

Summary of notes:
    If you want to change your list, this is what I would try to include. (This is ranked by priority)
    1) Bolt Thrower
    2) 2nd Mage (if points/percentages allow)

This would be best done through lowering the number of total sea guard in the army as mentioned before by tyland13. I would keep the lions even though I heard high elves using great weapons are not going to be as beneficial as before. However, your lions will be a great unit to soak up arrows when your sea guard are being protected by that ward save when you cast it. Also, they will be a great unit to support the sea guard when they get charged.

If you can accomplish all of the above this may certianly cause a interesting situation for the enemy player.

(Within the mind of the enemy player)

"Great!, I have been getting shot by bolts and arrows every round that never seem to miss, and I get shot again when I charge. These sea guard things get to use all their ranks to attack me, and they strike first. Man it's a good thing I'm stubborn. What! Now I'm getting flanked by great weapons. Geez, I wish I could cast a spell or something..."

Good luck - Cloro
    Last edited by Cloro; July 8th, 2010 at 01:25.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jy909 View Post
    Mage
    Lv2 Mage
    Trickster's Pendant
    Jewel of the Dusk
    TOTAL - 180
    Can we have 2 arcane items in new edition if not you need to change!

+ Reply to Thread