<2000 2000 Point High Elf Army List - New to the game and 8th! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 Point High Elf Army List - New to the game and 8th!

Hello guys,

I am looking for your opinion on this army list that I just created. I am very new to the game, but have bought and built my High Elf army!

Here is the list:

General / Lord:
    Teclis - 475

Heroes:
    Caradryan - 175
    Noble - 149 total
    > Great Weapon, Dragon Armour, Blade of Sea Gold and a Dragon Helmet -

Rare:
    1 Repeater Bolt Thrower - 100

Special:
    15 Sword Masters of Hoeth - 275 total
    >Full Command
    > Keeper of the Flame is equipped with Ring of Corin

15 Phoenix Guard - 293 total
    >Musician and Standard Bearer
    >Banner of Sorcery

Core:
    30 Lotheran Seaguard - 415 total
    > Full Command
    > 30 Shields

10 Archers - 110

TOTAL: 1992

I plan to stick Caradryan with the Phoenix Guard to provide some damage output. The noble will either be stuck with the sea guard or the sword masters. I feel that if I stuck him with the sword masters he would provide a huge increase to an already devastating unit. I haven't decided on which lore I am going to choose, but I will likely side with beasts or high elf magic. What do you guys think of this list and do you have any suggestions for my final 8 points? This is my first list in 8th edition and my 2nd ever! Look forward to hearing your opinions, thanks guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

unbelievably, this is pretty much my list haha

I use Teclis, Caradryan, seaguard, Bolt Throwers, and phoenix guard lol

so, i approve. maybe drop the archers and make the sea guard 2 units instead of one

Swordmasters are pretty hefty, but vunerable to shooting =/ try giving them a banner that puts them at -1 to hit. can't remember if its in the codex or the Rulebook

but yeah, its pretty darn good =]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very well done for just starting and this only being your 2nd list!

I'd definitely drop the Archers and either do what Supernobbs said OR split them make one unit of Seaguard and a unit of Spears. You could use the extra points saved by making Spears to field either a Great Eagle or give some Magic Banners to help protect your units.

Also, you don't need to have a Great Weapon AND the Blade of sea gold on your noble. So that saves you 8 more points. And be sure to make your Noble the Battle Standard Bearer.. Trust me, you won't regret having him there.

Lastly, your Keeper of the Flame can't have the ring of Corin, as it's an Arcane Item. Only Wizards can take that. So that frees up those points too.
    Fantasy: High Elves 7000pts / Warriors of Chaos 6000pts. 40k: Eldar 5000pts / Chaos Marines 2500pts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't take Teclis if I were you, its not good to take cheesy characters if its your first time playing cause you won't learn anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The keeper of the flame is the the Phoenix Guard champion. got that round the wrong way.

But yeh i Agree, with the changes to the core troops. Spearmen will be more effective then 10 archers.
    I run 20 archers and they are good to shoot at light cav or scouts.

I also agree on having the BSB.

Drop the bolt thrower for 2 eagles, much more effective in this addition.

Last point, with the swordmasters, everyone knows they are good in combat so will get shot up a lot. I suggest taking 2 units of 10-12. The more targets the better, puts a lot more pressure on the enemy to deal with them and you wont lose all your swordmasters to one bad round of shooting.

Good luck, play test and see how it works.
    "As long as there is man, there will be war" Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by limp.dragon View Post
    I wouldn't take Teclis if I were you, its not good to take cheesy characters if its your first time playing cause you won't learn anything.
    Er..... I can't help but disagree. Roughly about 4 months ago i started Warhammer fantasy with high elves, having never played it before. Used Tyrion to begin with, and a dragon mage. won a few games here and there, lost a few games here and there.

Then when the new rules came out, aswell as the errata, Teclis turned into my best friend. And i haven't lost a game since =D

Mr. Teclis is, more then likely, the most powerful mage in the game =/

it would be utterly stupid not to take him. He would be perfect for buffing your units to all kinds of nasty, and your pretty much always gonna get spells off every turn, Causing IF on any successful casting roll that includes a double.

Seriously. He's Essential. its that simple =]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Supernobbs View Post
    Er..... I can't help but disagree. Roughly about 4 months ago i started Warhammer fantasy with high elves, having never played it before. Used Tyrion to begin with, and a dragon mage. won a few games here and there, lost a few games here and there.

Then when the new rules came out, aswell as the errata, Teclis turned into my best friend. And i haven't lost a game since =D

Mr. Teclis is, more then likely, the most powerful mage in the game =/

it would be utterly stupid not to take him. He would be perfect for buffing your units to all kinds of nasty, and your pretty much always gonna get spells off every turn, Causing IF on any successful casting roll that includes a double.

Seriously. He's Essential. its that simple =]
    IMHO Teclis is just too powerful, especially in 8th edition. You can pretty much get off what ever spells you want guaranteed. He is not essential to this army, he just makes you able to steam roll through most opponents and this is why I am not advising new players to take powerful special characters. Play a fair balanced army first so you can learn all the rules.
    Maybe its just me, but in my warhammer club we all play to have fun. We don't have any power gamers that play just to win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that if you want to take Teclis, get used to playing just friendlys, but if you ever want to play in a tournament, which are very fun, you will not be able to take special characters.

It is good to customise you lords and heroes the ways that you want but.

Good Lcuk
    "As long as there is man, there will be war" Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WickySoldier View Post
    I think that if you want to take Teclis, get used to playing just friendlys, but if you ever want to play in a tournament, which are very fun, you will not be able to take special characters.

It is good to customise you lords and heroes the ways that you want but.

Good Lcuk
    Theres Been talk that thts been scrapped. rumour has it that you can now use Special Characters in Tournament games =/

just what i heard

Anway, the whole purpose of this thread was to talk about your list. so, having everything been said, i think its a good list, and one that will more then likely do well =]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the replies guys. Unfortunately I do not currently own any eagles. Mainly the only other units I have that are not listed are another bolt thrower, a group of 8 silver helmets, a prince / nobe on horse, a mage / arch mage on foot, and a mage / arch mage on horse, a lion chariot and Alith Anar. I've been wanting to try Teclis out for sometime. I bought my models during 7th edition and played two small friendly games. I'm not looking to stomp the people who I play against, but I do want to see how Teclis plays. Also, I added the one bolt thrower as a form of artillery to keep my enemy aware of the battlefield. I intend to have Teclis be my main form of damage output either through buffs or damage spells. I just want my opponent to try and avoid the bolt thrower, or Teclis so that I can corner him and decapitate him with my sword masters. My opponent is playing Warriors of Chaos, and has a melee heavy army so I hope that I can win with this list!

Thanks for all the replies guys!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast