High Elf 2000p. 2nd ever army list ever! Please comment - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

High Elf 2000p. 2nd ever army list ever! Please comment

Lords
    Archmage Lvl 4, Staff of Solidity, Forlaiths Robe, Talisman of Saphery
    =360p/18%

Heroes[/B]
    Mage Ring of Fury, Silver Wand = 150p
    Noble Battle Standard Bearer, Standard of Balance, Dragon Armour, Great Weapon = 169p
    Noble Barded Steed, Shield, Star Lance, Talisman of Loec, Bow =150
    =484p/24.2

Core
    32 Spearmen Champion, Musician = 335p
    10 Lothern Sea Guard Shields, Full Command =155p
    16 Archers =xxxp
    =686p=34.3%

Special
    10 SwordsmastersMusician, Standard Bearer, Lion Standard =193p
    Lion Chariot = xxxp
    % Ellyrian Reavers Bows, Full Command =133p
    =466/23.3%
    =1996p

Tactics:
    Archmage: Foloriaths robe makes the Archmage only able to harm and do harm with magic. Talisman of Saphery makes him immune to Magical weapons. The staff of Solidity makes him immune to his first miscast. He will use high magic.
    Mage: Take lore of Heavens of Life. Silver wand gives him an extra spell. Ring of Fury gives him a power lvl 3 bound spell each turn.
    BSB: He goes with the Spearmen.
    Swordsmasters: I gave them Lion Standard, so when they come up against fear and terror causing units, my price unit wont fail tests.

Please comment, i am a complete newbie, and i will be gratefull for any advice on tactics, or how to make this army better.

Last edited by CaptainSarathai; August 19th, 2010 at 23:14. Reason: removed points values

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

Ok, first lose teh PVs except for unit lines, as the individual points posting is frowned upon.

Now:

1) Archmage - doesn't probably need both Folraiths and Talisman, I'd give him Folraiths if you are running around on your own, I don't use them at all TBH, so can't remember if they are both talismans or not.. Maybe give him a War Eagle instead (T4 is useful, 6+ save is nice) and a Large Obsidian Amulet to get MR3 to deal with pesky miscast results after your staff is used up... and to deal with nasty spells targetting your wizard. High Magic ain't nasty enough to risk miscasting on - I'd go whole hog with an offensive lore - Death or Heavens maybe - even Shadows is nice...or use him to throw lots of dice at Life spells to keep your Elves alive.

2) Heroes. I'd put one Noble on an Eagle, but lose the Star Lance and Talisman of Loec, give him Dragonscale shield or Sheild of Ptolos and Dragon armour, Great Weapon, maybe a potion of Toughness. You can now swap using Shadows with the Archmage!
    The other Noble - lose the Standard of Balance - either get the BEST standards on the board, (World Dragon, Battle banner, Standard of Blades! AP attacks on Spears!) or else protect him. On Foot, Armour of Caledor and GW, put him in a unit like the Spears...
    The second Wizard. If you choose same Lore as the first, then that will be great - you can lose Silver wand (you'll neve be able to cast that many spells anyway..), and have a good change of picking the right spells. IMHO Ring of Fury is a waste on a Mage as you can lose concentration, just pick the Lore of Fire instead. Bright College spells are great and you get bonuses for casting multiple zaps at the same opponent...

3) Troops - 16 archers could be bumped up to 30-odd if you lose the LSG, 10 LSG is a bit of a waste as you benefit from a 5+ save, but normal bows only and all your men would be fighting anyway. 30+ archers will give you 25 shots with Longbows, and can reform to give a useful auxiliary unit which could be a horde if left untouched, or say 5x6 to give you a much needed rank bonus. Give the Spears a banner like the Lion Standard, because then they WILL hold at all costs...
    Your Swordmasters need some protection. Lore of Heavens or High will be good, as will Life (T6 is alwyas nice!) but you also need something such as the Bone Standard to give you some MR (1) or teh Curse Icon on the Blade master (6+ ward against War machines).

A Lion Chariot is nasty, and a very powerful unit on its own, but I would question its value in an army that, in the main, will be receiving charges. Its a good, tough unit though with lots of S5/6 attacks...

On the Reavers, you do NOT need a standard and Harbinger, you aren't going for stand-up fights, but using these guys for war machine and mage hunting/killing...

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

I've edited the post to remove the points values- GW doesn't like it when we make it too easy for people to figure out what's written in the armybooks. Anyways, on to your list:

It looks alright, but like all new players, you've layered on a bit too much in some areas.

Archmage- this guy doesn't need the talisman. Folariath's Robe is fine, just make sure that you put him into a regiment that has Magic Resistance and a Champion (the champion can accept challenges on his behalf, making sure that he's safe from enemy magic weapons)

Noble on Eagle- I'd lose that lance for sure. Lances only work when you charge now, and with the random charge distances, they're too risky. Not to mention that you're only getting +3S on the first turn of the combat. Why not give him a Great Weapon for +3S all the time?

Mage- there's a lot that you could do with this guy, but I wouldn't go with the Silver Wand or the Ring. If you want an offensive caster, take the SeerStaff. Because he can pick his own spells, you can use him to get duplicate spells from Lore of Life, or atleast guarantee the best spells from the lore.

Core- everything which Kithre has already said. Drop those LSG for Archers, or drop the archers for more LSG and switch your spears to LSG as well. Either go with all LSG, or take a big regiment of archers and a big regiment of spears.
    Get a standard bearer on your spears. You can benefit from a BSB and a Standard in the same combat. You can even use their option to take a 25pt banner to stick the Lion Standard or War Banner on them.

For your Special, I'd knock out that Lion Chariot. It wasn't all that great in 7th, as it is far too expensive for what it does. Fear doesn't make much difference anymore, and the thing isn't very tough and doesn't have many wounds. It's going to be a fire magnet. There are two ways to handle the Lion Chariot-
    If you go with 2 regiments of LSG, split it for 2 Tirannoc Chariots.
    If you stay with a single regiment of Spears, drop the Chariot to either make the Swordmaster bigger, or to get another regiment of 10 Swordmasters.
    The Swordmasters don't need the musician- they shouldn't be fighting on their own, so they'll benefit from the musician in another regiment. Razor Banner looks good on these guys as well.

For tactics- at the moment, I see the list as having a single anvil (your spears) and two flanking regiments (chariot and Swordmasters). Depending on how you change your list, you might have 2 anvils (Sea Guard) or stick to a single anvil regiment. Each regiment really only needs one other regiment to act as a flanker, so either the Chariot, or the Swordmasters. The Swordmasters are the better choice. I'd try to end up with something like one of these three lists:

30 Spears
    w/ 10 SMs
    30 Archers
    Reavers
    2 Bolt Throwers

20-30 LSG
    w/ 10 SMs
    20-30 LSG
    w/ 10 SMs
    Reavers

30 Spears
    30 Archers
    20 SMs
    Reavers
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What lores and spells should i use.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Someone in the army should definitely be using Lore of Life, if not both of the casters. Being able to bring back fallen elves is just dirty, and boosting our already too-low toughness is a great help. Lore of Shadow is also a good lore all around, and great for single casts. We can lower the strength of the enemy to give us a fighting chance (or make us almost invincible with a Life toughness boost) or lower their toughness to make our S3 something to be rightly feared. Being able to swap positions with another caster whenever you cast a Shadows spell is also nice, since it can help you get yourself out of a sticky situation.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

+ Reply to Thread