<3000 Caledor High Elves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Caledor High Elves

Ive been trying to decide on an 8th Ed army for a while, and Ive gone with my gut, a Caledor themed High elf army. Specialy as I now know the new DP models wont cost a small fortune. It also helps that HEs where actualy my first armyand have lived in a box for the past 2 years. So its nice to dust them off, and update them.

Problem, Im not to hot on HE lore / fluff. I know Dragon Princes and Dragon Mages but thats pretty much it.

Heres the list, it needs work.

Lords
    [295]Prince - Gen, Barded Steed, Vambrace of Defence, Radiant Gem of Hoeth, Dragon Armour, Great weapon.
    [290]Archmage - lvl 4, Seerstaff,

Heroes
    [420]Dragon Mage - Silver wand, Guardian Phoenix
    [143]Noble - BSB, Armour of Caledor, Great Weapon

Core
    [415]30 Sea Guard - FC, Shields
    [415]30 Sea Guard - FC, Shields

Special
    [350]18 Phoenix Guard - FC, Banner of Sorcery
    [320]9 Dragon Princes - FC
    [350]10 Dragon Princes - FC

Total 2998.

Ok hows the fluff with that? Lothern is fairly close to Caledor, as is Vauls Anvil. You guys think that works? or should I stick to regualr spear men and archers.
    Now I see Im missing a few units. The DPs are too costly to go warmachine hunting, and the sea guard only have a 24 inch range. Im possibly thinking of dropping the second DP unit making the first 12-15 strong then getting a few eagles or bolt throwers.
    The archmage can choose 4 spells from his lore, thats either life or High magic. He has no defence but Im hoping T7 or a 4+ regen should help out. Ive yet to decide. The prince takes death magic for some brain busting.

On a slight of topic, the Dragon mage. how do they fair these days? In combat Im seeing cascading fire cloak doing 2D6 str 4's in the magic phase, 2D6 Str 2's from the breath in the shooting and then melee and thunderstomp. Thats a fair amount of hurt.
    All help apreciated guys. This will eventualy turn into a painting log, when Ive chosen the colours. I know red and green are both fluffy. Choices choices.

Proud to be a part of A Tale of four Geeks

follow me on twitter (at)Soulshade_T4G

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

You could drop one of the DPs and get 3 chariots easily enough into that same list - Chariots will add impact damage, a bit of resilience and more activations to allow you to mangle stuff up more... 9 DPs with FC isn't going to ruin anyone's day I'm afraid

For the price of the Elf unit you have there, you can get 3 chariots and still have enough points for either 4 more Phoenix Guards or 2 additional DPs to make 12.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

After some advice from a mate down at my LGC Ive now got

Lords
    [226]Prince - Barded Steed, Dragon Armour, shield, Star lance (+3str no AS on charge)
    [215]Prince - Gen, Armour of Caledor, White sword (+2Str, killing blow)
    [290]Archmage - Seerstaff of saphery (choose spells)

Heroes
    [420]Dragon Mage - Silver wand (+1 spell), Gaurdian phoenix (5+ ward)
    [163]Noble - BSB, Armour of protection (Light armour 4+ ward), Great weapon.

Core
    [115]10 Archers - Mus
    [115]10 Archers - Mus
    [115]10 Archers - Mus
    [205]20 Spearmen - FC
    [205]20 Spearmen - FC

Special
    [320]9 Dragon Princes - FC (prince 1 here)
    [350]18 Phoenix Guard - FC. Banner of Sorcery. (Mage Gen and BSB 7x3)
    [210]14 White Lions - (7x2)

Rare
    [50]Eagle

Only thoughts are the PG unit is alot of VPs if its runs, and the DM could still get 1 shotted by a cannon.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

[QUOTE=Soulshade;1739046]After some advice from a mate down at my LGC Ive now got

Lords
    [226]Prince - Barded Steed, Dragon Armour, shield, Star lance (+3str no AS on charge)
    [215]Prince - Gen, Armour of Caledor, White sword (+2Str, killing blow)
    [290]Archmage - Seerstaff of saphery (choose spells)

Heroes
    [420]Dragon Mage - Silver wand (+1 spell), Gaurdian phoenix (5+ ward)
    [163]Noble - BSB, Armour of protection (Light armour 4+ ward), Great weapon.

Core
    [115]10 Archers - Mus
    [115]10 Archers - Mus
    [115]10 Archers - Mus
    [205]20 Spearmen - FC
    [205]20 Spearmen - FC

Special
    [320]9 Dragon Princes - FC (prince 1 here)
    [350]18 Phoenix Guard - FC. Banner of Sorcery. (Mage Gen and BSB 7x3)
    [210]14 White Lions - (7x2)

Rare
    [50]Eagle

Probably one too many Princes in my view - drop one and you can get a Star Dragon, or else another fighty Noble intead - e.g. the Prince on the Steed can be converted to a Noble with GW, magic armour like the Helm of Discord, maybe the potion that lets you have KB for one turn, ItP?.

Your Prince general has no save - Armour of Caledor is great but better with Vambraces, and even moreso with . Give him a GW and Talisman of Light or Loec if you want...or Crown of Command if you are worried about Stubbornness. Lose the WHite Sword - KB is over-rated...

I'd also worry about the presence of magic users on the enemy - you have little magical defence, especially against direct damage attacks. The Banner of Sapery is nice, but you could go for an MR banner on the PGs if you are worrying about losing them that much...Bone standard is good for this as it will increase the ward of the PG and the Prince to 3+ against magic...
    Last edited by kithre; September 8th, 2010 at 16:42.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

Thanks for the advice, I take a lookie later and see what I can do

In the mean while, what do you guys think of these colours?

Whats better? Left, right or a mix?

Edit: I do know this isnt the right place for this realy, but it was that or start a new thread for it In the painting section where hardly any HE players will prolly see it.
    Last edited by Soulshade; September 10th, 2010 at 15:26.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wouldn't be a Caledor list unless your prince was on a Dragon too. Would look better as an army me thinks

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

red one
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points
    Chaos Daemons -Fate Crusher- 3500 Points
    Grey knights - 1000 Points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

Getting a Prince on a dragon is hard going even at this points levels. More so if I keep the dragon mage. Any ideas what I could tweek to try squeeze one in? Removing the other prince and AM if the first point of call, but it leaves me with little magic defence. I dont have the points left with my heroes for mages either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would go for all out offence with a Prince on Dragon, Dragon mage of caledor, and as many Dragon princes as possible. Just fill out you core requirements as normal. Your core won't be able to keep up with your fast attack characters or DP so archers or seaguard would be best to fire at the enemy while your Fast units smash into them. Don't know how effective this would be in 8th Ed, but as it's a Caledor army it should look the part. I would also go with a Red and Gold colour scheme blue DPs don't look right.

+ Reply to Thread