<3000 Beginner seeking advice 2250 or 2500 army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    DwD
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beginner seeking advice 2250 or 2500 army

Hey all. I played some Fantasy when I was like 14 years old I'm 23 now and thinking about getting back. I forgot pretty much all the rules but was gonna start with making a list. It currently looks like this:

Lord:

Tyrion

Heroes:
    Caradryan
    Korhil
    Mage lvl 2 with Silver Wand and 2 Dispel Scrolls.

Core:

20 Archers
    20 Lothern Sea Guard w/ Shield, Musician and Standard Bearer

Rare:

2 Bolt Throwers

Special:

6 Dragon Princes of Caledor
    Lion Chariot of Chrace
    10 White Lions of Chrace w/ Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of Arcane Protection
    10 Phoenix Guard w/ Musician, Standard Bearer, Lion Standard

This lands me on if I calculated correctly 2331 points.
    What I was wondering is if it looks ok? Or did I do something horribly wrong?

If I should use a 2250 army what should I cut out of it and if I would go for 2500 what should I add?

Big thanks for any help. And don't bash me too hard please ^^

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

I like Tyrion. Always been a fan of him, but he's not a model I'd be using if I'm just starting out.

Lot of points wrapped up in a model that you can get someone almost as killy, for a lot less.

Both Caradryan and Korhil are pretty nasty. They can lay down some hurt, and either of them as your general would be fine. You can use the points that you put into Tyrion, and beef your army up. Double the size of your White Lions and Phoenix guard almost.
    Nights Justice Space Marines
    Eldar Eth Kariel Craftworld
    Spear of Kurnous - High Elf Expeditionary Army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately, the list is currently illegal. It seems as though you're buliding the army based on the 7th edition, but 8th edition has been out for some time and has different rules associated with how you have to build lists. Some examples of where you'll need to rethink your selections:

You need to have at least 25% of your army in core units. Its no longer a number of units (this displeases me), but rather a point limitation.

Your mage can only carry one arcane item. Scrolls DO count now, so the days of the scroll caddy are out. Only one item, not one item and a scroll.

Tactically, I think it looks.... Odd at best. I'm not a fan of special characters, and you've got a nice lot of them going there. I've had alot of luck with caradyran, but the other two have never served me well. But if thats what you want to use, go for it. My suggestion, is to take an archmage instead of Tyrion. Magic works significantly different now, since wizards get to add thier magic level to cast and dispell rolls. That being said, if someone brings a lvl 4 wizard to your doorstep, they'll be getting +4 to cast everything they throw. It's nice to have that +5 (4 for the mage, +1 for high elves) to dispell. One lvl 2 to throw drain magic doesn't seem to cut it anymore when the opponent has +4 to dispell.

I would also try to add numbers to your two elite infantry units. I like to feild in at least 12 (2*6) because all models attack in 2 ranks now.

Long story short, your list needs alot of work. Both to become legal, and to be effective once it is legal. If you're playing with other people who still play 7th (I did this for a while too) then I'd say your list looks ok. The people I play with would complain about excessive use of special characters, but if you're circle doesn't have a problem with it I'd say you're ok.

DwD
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I appreciate the feedback.

If I would switch Tyrion out and take Teclis instead would that be better? That way I could remove my lvl 2 mage and add more infantry? Or should I still keep the lvl 2 mage?

I didnt know it was 25% of the points now I thought it just said 2 units in the book i'll try to correct that.

Thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread