<2000 [2250] High Elves, new to Elves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

[2250] High Elves, new to Elves

I've been playing Dwarfs for too long and I want to mix it up some. I've never had to use magic, so I'd like to try my hand at an Archmage-led list. I got a battlebox and an Island of Blood set for cheap, so those are the units I'm based around.

Your thoughts are always appreciated.

Lord: 16%
    Archmage: Lv.4, Book of Hoeth, Lore of Life (deployed with Phoenix Guard)

Heroes: 14%
    Mage: Lv.2, Annulian Crystal, High Magic (deployed in Spearelves unit)
    Noble: BSB, Great Weapon, Armor of Caledor (deployed in Lothern Sea Guard )

Core: 25%
    17x Lothern Sea Guard (6x3): Shield, FC
    17x Spearelves (6x3): FC
    13x Archers (7x2)

Special: 35%
    5x Ellyrian Reavers: Bows, Spears
    17x Phoenix Guard (6x3): FC, Banner of Arcane Protection
    18x Swordmasters (6x3): FC
    Tiranoc Chariot

Rare: 8%
    Repeater Bolt Thrower
    Repeater Bolt Thrower

Total: 2,249

Last edited by Quick; October 5th, 2010 at 04:13.

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

Your BSB doesn't work. Can't use a shield and GW at the same time.

The command unit and banners in your archers, not worth it. It's unlikely that anything would be cast at that unit that the banner will stop. If you want to use that banner, stick it in your Sword Masters. I'd put a champion in your Sea Guard as well.

Other then that, I think you should be ok.
    Nights Justice Space Marines
    Eldar Eth Kariel Craftworld
    Spear of Kurnous - High Elf Expeditionary Army

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

i'd take out the spearelves and archers and make it 2 bulkier units of LSG's (around 25 each). I've never used LSG before, but since 8th edition i've used them a couple of times and i'm really starting to love them.
    As long as you keep them stationairy they are a really great shooting unit with 15+ shots, moving 10+ shots, and all at BS4.
    And as soon as anyone starts thinking about charging they have to charge trough 10+ stand and shoot attacks AND 25 ASF attacks.
    Biggest disadvantage they have is their S3, they just have to do it with S3, but hey, they have a lot of them

Your BSB is a bit fragile... You might want to consider the armour of caledor.

Swordmasters and phoenix guard are always a good choice. but they have the possibility to take some magic items. I like to look trough the BRB, and look if I can find some nice 5-15 point magical items to give em that bit of an advantage. a magic banner (warbanner?) here is also a really nice thing
    'Its better to have a swordmaster and not need her help, then to need her help and not have her'
    Byjugo's WIP Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

170 (x5)

Changes made, please see original post.

Thanks for the assist, fellows. I did have the Armor of Caledor on the BSB. The shield was left over from a previous build. (I realize with the A.o.Caledor, there's no need for a shield.)

If I were to go with two blocks of LSGs, how would I keep my mages alive? Being a Dwarf player, I'm used to pretty much only building melee monster characters and trying to get them stuck-in as quick as possible. What do I do with the mages? I had thought to keep one in an archer unit to soak up wounds for the Archmage. (I would have just had the junior mage hide and hope that the Reavers could run interference for whatever came after him or the RBT'ers.

Also, I replaced the Lion Chariot with a regular chariot, freeing up enough points for a second RBT. Good idea?

Additionally, how should I best equip my Reavers? Bows or Bows and Spears?
    Last edited by Quick; October 4th, 2010 at 01:36.

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

I usually put my mages into my phoenix guard unit, and just let that unit idle around the battlefield. The PG's can soak up a LOT of damage, so your mages are pretty save. (exept against cheapshots with cannons and such). This freed up my core units to cross the field and get into action.

the tiranoc chariot is a good choice to free up some points, but i just don't like the model so i will always take lion chariots

I kit my reavers with both, so if i have a shot at charging a warmachine, i'm sure to kill it in a turn.
    'Its better to have a swordmaster and not need her help, then to need her help and not have her'
    Byjugo's WIP Thread

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Bows and spear imo for Reavers.

Put one mage with your PG, one with your SMs, and the BSB with the LSG as he'll add a bit more punch to their attacks.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

170 (x5)

Bows and Spears, got it. That's what I was thinking but you never know...

If I intend for the PGs and the SMs to be my front-line infantry, shouldn't I keep the mages nearer the back with the defensive/second wave units? If either unit takes a big charge from something, then I lose a chunk of the unit and the mage, right?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Quick View Post

If I intend for the PGs and the SMs to be my front-line infantry, shouldn't I keep the mages nearer the back with the defensive/second wave units? If either unit takes a big charge from something, then I lose a chunk of the unit and the mage, right?
    I keep my mages with the scariest/toughest units, but really it's all down to play style and who your regular opponents are
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Quick View Post

that's why i keep my PG's in the second wave, and send my core forewards.
    usually all my troops go foreward exept my pg's and boltthrowers

but a unit of archers could do ok to hide your mages in. problem with that is that your mages probably need 24" range, and your archers 30", so you cant use em both to their fullest potential.
    Byjugo's WIP Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

170 (x5)

OK. edits made.

I rather like this list now, but it's all dependent on how well I can protect my firepower. If my opponents spend time blowing the Swordmasters to bits, that's OK because the bulk of my hitting power will come via shooting. Of course, if the mages can never stay alive, I'll have to re-jigger this into a more combat-oriented list and relegate magic to a more defensive role.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast