<1000 1000pts New to High Elves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000pts New to High Elves

Hey guys. I'm starting a High Elf army because I like having two armies in each game with different styles. I currently have a highly shooty Tomb Kings army, so wanted an elite combat army with a nice amount of magic, thus chose High Elves. Cobbled the following list together, if you could advise on it that would be much appreciated.

Lords:
    Arch Mage
    Lore of Life
    Silver Wand

Heroes:
    Noble
    Great Weapon
    Armour of Caledor
    Battle Standard Bearer

Core:
    18xLothern Seaguard
    Shields
    Standard
    Gleaming Pennant
    Musician

Special:
    20xSwordmasters
    Standard Bearer
    Banner of Sorcery
    Musician

GRAND TOTAL: 1000pts

Plan:
    Archmage- Joins the Seaguard. Buff units and heal them if possible with lore of life. Concentrates on the Swordmasters, keeping them from falling prey to arrow fire. I like lore of life a lot, and it works really well for elite and outnumbered with 2 buff spells, 2 AoE spells, 1 healing spell and a spell that improves all magical effects.

Noble- Joins the Swordmasters for extra killing power.

Lothern Seaguard- 5x4. Depending on army, will either march vs gunline or stand and shoot if preferable (vs chaos for example)

Swordmasters- 7x3. Hopefully find some cover, but if not, the promise of up to T7 with 4+ regen and ressurected troops promises to help get them across the board safely

Last edited by Orthanus; November 2nd, 2010 at 16:39. Reason: Swapped Spearmen for more swordmasters&magic
    If a dryad trips over alone in the woods, does it make a sound? - Bretonian proverb

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

good list, but maybe if you cut out the standard bearer and musician of the SM's, (you really don't need this banner) you might be able to free up some points to get your noble BSB.

you could also drop your spears, make the LSG a unit of 24, granting your 25% core, and then have some more points left for specials. but that really depends on personal taste and playstyle.
    'Its better to have a swordmaster and not need her help, then to need her help and not have her'
    Byjugo's WIP Thread

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

You have almost 50% core, that is way too much. You've 200 points you could spend on a BSB, some better gear for your archmage (a ward save would definitely fit in nicely!)
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Byjugo View Post
    good list, but maybe if you cut out the standard bearer and musician of the SM's, (you really don't need this banner) you might be able to free up some points to get your noble BSB.
    Gotcha, will do

Quote Originally Posted by realitycheque View Post
    You have almost 50% core, that is way too much. You've 200 points you could spend on a BSB, some better gear for your archmage (a ward save would definitely fit in nicely!)
    Can't take anything else on the Arch mage else I will exceed the 25% limitation on Lords.

As for both of your comments about specials, I must admit I was more impressed with the selections of core troops than special troops. Would I be better taking some Phoenix Guard over the spears? My main fear about this idea was that the squad would at this points level be too small to be effectual, whereas the spears will be able to bring their numbers to bear with some strong hitting, as opposed to the Phoenix Guard's holding power.
    If a dryad trips over alone in the woods, does it make a sound? - Bretonian proverb

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

PG will take pretty much anything that comes at them.
    White Lions can take take a lot of shooting to kill.
    Swordmasters die easily, but are BRUTAL in combat.

I'd drop the Seaguard, modify your Battle Standard Bearer (to have Dragon Armour, Helm of Fortune, Guardian Phoenix and Great Weapon - this gives him 4+ save with Reroll and a 5+ ward save) and then boost your SM unit - you ideally want Full Command (and the Champion with the spearmen), and the Banner of Sorcery on the SM unit will help your archmage out no end.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

i would do it quite different as realitycheque says.

I'd keep the seeguard, drop the spearmen. Add a unit of WL/PG. Give the BSB the armour of caledor and great weapon (so he's cheaper). Full command would be nice in all units exept SM's who just get the champ and musician. I would give the SM champion some cheap magical item to help him win challenges.
    If you have points left for the Banner of sorcery (wich is great), i'd put them in the Phoenix Guard, or WL if you don't have PG's.
    A Great Eagle or a unit of shadow warriors can be really good to disrupt the enemy. (especially at this low points)

good luck
    'Its better to have a swordmaster and not need her help, then to need her help and not have her'
    Byjugo's WIP Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thankyou very much to both of you for your criticisms and advice. The problem that I have is that I don't physically have enough points to make a usable squad. Having met my minimum 250pts of core, characters and swordmasters I only have around 200pts to spend.

I also agree that the banner of sorcery is brilliant, however found it difficult to fit it into my list due to it's points cost.

While I agree about your summation of the 3 special choices, I fear that Phoenix guard aren't hitty enough for the army considering what I've already taken, and I risk having nothing that can feasibly take on heavy infantry/cavalry. Swordmaster and whitlions I feel are on a par with eachother, as so I already have Swordmaster models, I chose to use them.

In the new list I have taken a larger unit of swordmasters with the intention of using all the buffs in the lore of life to keep them on their feet, and healing them back to strength when necessary.
    Last edited by Orthanus; November 2nd, 2010 at 15:24. Reason: Changed list again :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

The list looks pretty cool now.

One could argue that you have very few units, but on the other hand the big unit of SMs will probably dominate many battles in this small scale.

I'm not sure I would place the LSG in a 3x6 formation. 4x5 (with an incomplete rank) wold be better in my opinion as they would still all be able to fight and you would only lose 1 shot because of the new volley rule. In a 4x5 you can take a couple more casualties without losing that important second rank bonus.

Edit: Note, by the way, that if your mage is in the LSG regiment (which I agree is probably wisest), he cannot cast the Life regenerate spell on the SMs as you mention. It can only be cast on the mage and his own unit. =)
    Last edited by Filthor; November 2nd, 2010 at 16:30.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good shout there, thanks for the advice. I still can't shake the feeling when I look at it that I've got too few units. But you're all advising against taking a unit of spearmen and a smaller unit of swordmasters, so I'll go with the expertise at hand

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

Don't worry - I run the same number of unit's at twice the points - we're high elfs, being outnumbered is kind of 'our thing'
    The Silver Knights of Tor Adrac (He): 26/2/4
    The Spears of Slaanesh (Woc): 7/2/5
    Battlegroup Chalybso (GK): 7/3/3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast