<3000 HELP - 2500 New to 8th ed and High Elves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HELP - 2500 New to 8th ed and High Elves

Hi I have been working on a list to begin playing warhammer and would like to know what people think. Need as much help as i can get. Thanks in advance.

Teclis

Mage - Lvl 2, Anulian Crystal
    Noble - Great weapon, Heavy Armour, BSB (World Dragon)

23x Lorthern Seaguard w/ Shields Full Command
    24x Lorthern Seaguard w/ Shields Full Command (Mage in Unit)

17x Pheonix Guard Full command Banner of sorcery (Teclis and Noble in Unit)
    12x Swordmasters w/ Musician
    12x White Lions w/ Musician

2 Repeater Bolt Throwers
    2 eagles

Total= 2499

Last edited by musclemilk; December 4th, 2010 at 10:50. Reason: revised list

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Teclis
    Personally I like the idea of teclis and having him buried in a block of pheonix guard or possibly a block of sea guard that's up to you but I would say the pheonix guard would be much more survivable. Some people say it's better to kit out an Archmage but that personal preference, I see no issues in using characters especially since teclis may be incredibly powerful magic wise he is also incredibly easy to kill.
    Again if your going majic heavy just know what lores you are using and that they support eachother, Also just keep an eye out on other army characters since your obviously not going to have much that can take some in combat.
    BSB is obvious just never personally used the world dragon banner so im sure someone else can comment on its credibility. I normally bypass the magic banner and just make my BSB more survivable by means of an invulnerable save or atleast a higher or rerollable save.

21x Lorthern Seaguard w/ Shields Full Command (Noble in Unit)
    Seaguard are good i made a strange list once and forgot to equip sheilds, they won one round in a tournament but my next 2 opponents pretty made short work so sheilds are the way to go as I now know.

17x Pheonix Guard Full command Banner of sorcery (Teclis in Unit)
    Pheonix guard are the way to go i personally love this choice since they are the most survivable unit we have and can hopefully produce the needed static combat res. I personally have a block of 20 and plan on expanding on them and planting teclis or an archmage in them also.
    12x Swordmasters w/ Musician & Standard
    For these two units I will say they are obviously the hard hitters of the combat phase for us the only problem is that depends on how many survive the march across the battlefield. I'm sure you plan on keeping them alive by means of magic but this doesnt always go as planned. Personally I would opt to drop one of the units and replace it with a unit of white lions for some additional high strength combat and also more ranged survivability. This is obviously up to you try it out and see how it goes with both options and see how they do. Oh and if at all possible you may as well go full command.

2 Repeater Bolt Throwers
    Straight forward choice, not much to say

2 eagles
    I have never used these i know many people here will use units to go hunt warmachines but i just forget'em lol i like having fun if i Win I win if I lose I lose. I just use terrain for the purpose of trying to avoid enemy warmachines. In place of these guys you could bulk out your command in your elites and maybe add a few more to a unit you find to be successful.

Not to sure this helps but I have played a few games in 8th and used a similar list with a horde of 50 Seaguard 2 bolt throwers, 20 pheonix guard, 12 swordmasters, prince on star dragon, bsb and two lvl2 mages. In my first tournament it wasn't too bad considering I was still learning the game (not 8th, i mean warhammer in general) I found magic to be very effective, the star dragon is obviously good but takes lots away from your army numbers. Seaguard were questionable as i had no sheilds (silly me) I'm considering just using spear elves and using points saved in other units. Sword Master that made it to combat were super killy but i had two units like yours and will probably drop one for White Lions. Hope this helps somewhat.

Total= 2499

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by musclemilk View Post
    Hi I have been working on a list to begin playing warhammer and would like to know what people think. Need as much help as i can get. Thanks in advance.

Teclis
    Good, best mage you're going to get in our army, if a little pricey. What lore do you plan on using?

Another one- what lore will you use? If you're just using this guy to pick up a Crystal, I'd knock him down to L1, to save yourself a few points.
    Looks alright. Banner's a little pricey.

21x Lorthern Seaguard w/ Shields Full Command (Noble in Unit)
    These units look small to me. If you can free up points, I'd try to push them up to about 30 models if you can.

17x Pheonix Guard Full command Banner of sorcery (Teclis in Unit)
    Good stuff there.
    Lose your Standards. These units are actually your flankers, since you don't have cavalry. Your other regiments have a banner in them, so they'll benefit from those, rather than paying points to cart around their own.

2 Repeater Bolt Throwers
    love 'em.
    2 eagles
    Meh, like Whyte said, I'd drop these guys. People have used Eagles to hunt machines in the past, but I've found that with the amount of magic you have in your list, you'll either pop the machines, or use Lore of Life and laugh in their faces. Dropping those Eagles would give you the points to up the numbers of models in your units, and that's certainly a plus.
    Total= 2499
    Looks solid. The models are all good, I'd go ahead and buy the army if you haven't already. From there, it'll just be a matter of figuring out how many models you're comfortable with, and what equipment you prefer. It's part of what I like about Warhammer- there are lists which are certainly "the optimum list", and even combos that people know and love, but every list is different based on who's using it, and how they play. A fine tuned list is better than anything we can give you.
    Last edited by CaptainSarathai; December 4th, 2010 at 19:31.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys thanks for the replies,

The lores I was thinking was death for teclis and life or maybe high magic for the mage.
    The reason my core units are 24 and 21 are that i originally had them as a horde of 50 but template weapons made me reconsider it, this way i have minimum core of 25% and can use them for shooting until combat time then probably a reform ( i did also consider a core of just archers but i dont know about that ).
    Also i considered the noble being moved to pheonix guard so teclis is better protected (i figure lore of life wont be as important on the PG)
    I must say i am surprised by both players saying to drop the eagles I see alot of ppl on the forums talking about how great they are but as im not particularly a fan of them dropping them wouldnt be a hard thing for me to do.
    Thanks for the help guys it's much appreciated, keep the help coming as i have not bought my army yet and would like to go in and get it all at once and knowing exacly what im spending my money on would be great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi I have a couple more questions,
    Banner of the world dragon negates spell effects - does that also include the lore attribute associated with the lore. Specifically i was thinking of also including the mage in with the Pheonix guard and wondering if lifbloom counts as a spell?
    Is it worth giving the mage a silver wand or is the crystal and teclis enough? I had planned on giving teclis death and the mage life as a way of keeping my units close to full strength while whittling down the opponent as they come toward me.
    Let me know your thoughts. Thankyou for your help

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

The eagles are one of those units which are really great in theory, and then you just realize that they never live up to expectations on the battlefield. Currently, Fast Cavalry make far better warmachine hunters with their Vanguard move. Unfortunately, our Fast Cav are too expensive to fit that roll.
    Like I said- your magic and shooting will probably keep you safe from enemy warmachines.

Moving the Noble over to stand with Teclis in the PG would be a good idea. So would dropping the Banner of the World Dragon. You're going to want that unit to be eligible for Lore of Life goodies all the way through. From what I understand, the Lore Attribute is not part of the spell though. WoC players have access to an item that lets us cast any spell which does not heal wounds- however, it was FAQ'd that we can use this item to cast Lore of Life spells (except regrowth), even though the attribute does heal wounds. Leads me to believe that the Attribute is part of a spell effect.

I'd also switch your casting plans around a bit. Teclis should be your "main" caster. You want him doing the dirty work, and for the Elves, that's casting Lore of Life. Basically, get 'Throne of Vines' off immediately, then start casting like a fiend. Regrowth is a must for your army, and even with a Silver Wand on a L2, Teclis is the only way you'll get the spell (except for someone with the Seerstaff).
    Lore of Death isn't even all that great at whittling down the enemy. It's more for killing enemy characters and the likes. If you want to do damage, I'd go with Lore of Fire and keep the casting costs to a minimum. That L2 might benefit from having High Magic though, just so that you can have a shot at Arrow Attraction and the Wardsave, as well as Flames of the Phoenix and Fury of Khaine (FoP is especially nice now that you can cast around RiPs)

Aside from the Eagles (your choice really), I would thumbs-up this entire army. There isn't a model in it that you won't use somewhere later. Even if you completely retool your list, you'd be dropping things like the Elites and Teclis. The bulk of your expenses will come from your LSG (some of the best core in the game), and you'll be using them almost all the time. You can pick up your army from 3 IoB boxes (1 trade, and 1 box/trade) for $160, plus you'll get Reavers and Griffons. You'd be spending almost $100 more to buy them any other way. If you really needed to, you could just buy 3 boxes and not bother trading, and still get a better deal than buying metal Swordmasters.
    Last edited by CaptainSarathai; December 4th, 2010 at 21:16.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as I can tell.. this list is pretty solid. Good job!
    Fantasy: High Elves 7000pts / Warriors of Chaos 6000pts. 40k: Eldar 5000pts / Chaos Marines 2500pts.

+ Reply to Thread