<3000 2400 Tournament Elves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2400 Tournament Elves

Hey guys, I'm relatively new to the game. I bought into 40k back in September and Fantasy in October. My play group, however, is very competitive in most of the stuff we play so coming up with good army lists is key. I heard most tournaments in 8th ed. are running at 2400 points to easily make the 25% at 600. So any help would be awesome:

Lords: 20%
    Teclis with Lore of Life
    (with 19 Sea Guard)

Heroes: 15%
    Noble
    BSB, Lance, Dragon Armor, Barded Steed, Shield and a Banner of Sorcery
    (with 5 Dragon Princes)

Mage with High Magic
    Level 2, Annulian Crystal
    (with 9 White Lions)

Core: 33%
    10 Archers
    Musician

10 Archers
    Musician

19 Sea Guard
    FC and Shields

20 Sea Guard
    FC and Shields

Special: 24%
    12 Sword Masters
    FC

9 White Lions
    FC

5 Dragon Princes
    FC

Rare: 8%
    Repeater Bolt Thrower

Repeater Bolt Thrower

Now I also heard that some tournaments don't allow named characters for how powerful they are. If this is the case I'll replace Teclis with:

Archmage
    Level 4, Book of Hoeth

5 Ellyrian Reavers
    Bows

and add a Protection Talisman to my Level 2 Mage

Thanks for reading, any help would be awesome.

Last edited by Incompl_te; December 4th, 2010 at 16:09.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Incompl_te View Post

Lords: 20%
    Teclis with Lore of Life
    (with 19 Sea Guard)
    Teclis is good, but he draws fire. Those LSG are in for a tough fight.

Heroes: 15%
    Noble
    BSB, Lance, Dragon Armor, Barded Steed, Shield and a Banner of Sorcery
    (with 5 Dragon Princes)
    You can put the BoS on your PG banner. Leave this guy as a BSB, but give him a wardsave or rerollable armor. You might also want to leave him on foot, so you're not tempted to gallop away from your army.

Mage with High Magic
    Level 2, Annulian Crystal
    (with 9 White Lions)
    Good stuff, but you could also give him the Staff of Sorcery for a total of +4 to dispel attempts. Your call, extra dice or extra Dispel power.

Core: 33%
    10 Archers
    Musician

10 Archers
    Musician
    Why do you need the musicians? These guys are going to be in your Deployment Zone most of the game- if they break, they're going right off the table.
    19 Sea Guard
    FC and Shields

20 Sea Guard
    FC and Shields
    The unit with Teclis might benefit from a Warbanner, from their First Among Equals rule.

Special: 24%
    12 Sword Masters
    FC

9 White Lions
    FC
    I'd try to bulk up the WL if you could. Otherwise solid.

5 Dragon Princes
    FC
    These guys are good, but expensive. With just 1 cavalry regiment, you're not going to be doing much "sallying forth" to fight the enemy. You already have 2 strong flanking regiments (WL/SM) and your Archers can serve as backup in that capacity. I'd swap these guys out for PGs if you could figure out how to get about 14 of them to hide Teclis in. Their 4++ makes them a great bunker against shooting and magic (which will be all over any regiment containing Teccy)

Rare: 8%
    Repeater Bolt Thrower

Repeater Bolt Thrower
    Can't go wrong with RBTs
    Now I also heard that some tournaments don't allow named characters for how powerful they are. If this is the case I'll replace Teclis with:

Archmage
    Level 4, Book of Hoeth

5 Ellyrian Reavers
    Bows

and add a Protection Talisman to my Level 2 Mage

Thanks for reading, any help would be awesome.
    Suggestions are in blue, in your quote. Welcome to the Forum, to the High Elves, and to Fantasy!
    Last edited by CaptainSarathai; December 8th, 2010 at 08:40.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, thanks for the suggestions.

I changed my list a bit. I've decided to drop Teclis and just run my "Non-Named" list. So I'm rockin' a level 4 mage with a book instead. I swapped my BSB to be on foot with a Helm of Fortune and a Guardian Phoenix then put him with my 19 Sea Guard. My thought process with the musicians in the Archer squads was to easy get them turned around if my opponent goes out of my front arc, which has happened to me in a few games. I suited up my 19 Sea Guard unit with a War Banner, and in the one game I've played with it so far, it's swayed a combat res. I beefed up my Swordmasters to 14 and stuck a banner of Swiftness on them, which has helped more than I expected. I dropped the Dragon Princes and put in 11 Phoenix Guard with a BoS and BOY did it make a difference. Very happy with the Phoenix Guard change, so definitely thanks for that suggestion. I threw my level 4 Mage in their group for some protection. I kept the 9 White Lions, it was hard to find points to boost them up but I threw my level 2 Mage in with them and gave them an Arcane Protection banner. Dropped my Reavers completely and, of course, I kept my Repeaters in. Thanks for the warm welcome, and especially the suggestions.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

No problem, glad I could help. I'm surprised the others haven't jumped in to help you as well.

Remember- your bows aren't "move or fire", so if you need to wheel or reform during your movement phase, you can still get away with it without your Musician in the regiment.
    Phoenix Guard are beasts. You might find that you need to switch those 9 White Lions over to PGs to keep the unit's survivability up.

With the shooting that you have coming from 2 RBTs and the regiments of LSG, you may want to consider knocking out the archers altogether. Either swap them over to make more Core troops, or drop them and beef up your Specials (PG and WLs). If I remember, you're running 125pts for each of those archer regiments. You could probably split one of them down into 5 LSG for each of your regiments, and then use the other 10 to add on a few more White Lions.

Those are just extra suggestions. You'll find that a lot of times, LO members get stuck on "what works" and then they give those suggestions out to everyone. What works for me, may not work for you. I actually run a Shadow-Warriors list myself, and it works for me. Try a few games against different opponents and different types of armies, and eventually you'll figure out what you like in the army and what you can let go. "Trimming the fat" in your lists is what makes it unique, and what takes you from a good player, to a great one.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"What works for me, may not work for you. I actually run a Shadow-Warriors list myself, and it works for me. Try a few games against different opponents and different types of armies, and eventually you'll figure out what you like in the army and what you can let go. "Trimming the fat" in your lists is what makes it unique, and what takes you from a good player, to a great one."

Best advice.. ever.
    Fantasy: High Elves 7000pts / Warriors of Chaos 6000pts. 40k: Eldar 5000pts / Chaos Marines 2500pts.

+ Reply to Thread