<3000 high elves vs goblins 2500 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

high elves vs goblins 2500

Archmage level 4
    Silver wand
    Gem of courage
    Taking lore of Life

BSB w/G.weapon, Dragon Armour.
    Guardian Phoenix
    In unit of Phoenix Guard

Mage Lvl 2
    Seerstaff of Saphry
    Taking lore of Shadows

Lord and hero total 594

27 Seaguard w/shields
    Full Command

27 seaguard w/shields
    Full command

Troop total 752

19 Phoenix Guard
    Full Command
    Banner of Sorcery

7 Dragon Princes
    Champ and Musician

15 Swordmasters
    Full Command

Special total 860

2 Bolt Throwers

2 Eagles

Rare Total 300

This is for a battle against a Goblin army no orcs are involved my opponent usually has a minimum of 4 big blocks of night goblins (50 to 60 ) with fanatics, and fills out the rest of his list with some cav. He only tends to use a few characters but does like to use max amount of shamans.
    I could do with the help used to use dwarfs but changed armies so i'm going from no magic to trying out as much as possible.

Cheers for the advice changed the list and must admit the list does look more rounded, should of thought of the eagles myself used to use a gyrocopter for the same purpose but totally forgot about putting in the eagles. Your right about the Dragon Princes saw the 9inch move and thought that i'd finally charge with as big a unit of cav as possible instead of standing waiting for one to smash into my dwarfs.
    I'll get back to you on how the army does

Last edited by lenoirmort; December 19th, 2010 at 00:43.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

If it's goblins, you are going to want a couple eagles. They are a life savor in drawing those fanatics out in turn 1/2 well before they get to your lines. With some lucky rolls, he'll either be forced to stop his blocks for fear of hitting the fanatics (allowing you more time to shoot and magic them), or they'll just roll right into his blocks.

And the 18 dragon princes seems a HUGE point sink considering your going to be going up against 200ish models or so. Why not go for two small units of sword masters that'll be a lot more effective? Same thing with your PG.
    Nights Justice Space Marines
    Eldar Eth Kariel Craftworld
    Spear of Kurnous - High Elf Expeditionary Army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd agree with Djones9916 on just about everything. Eagles are a must to pull fanatics. I used to play agains an orcs and goblins player, and he just stopped bringing fanatics because I'd draw them out and they'd get in his way more than mine. It's also goblins that opperate all thier war machines right? If so, thats just more reason to bring eagles.

Take youre Dragon Princes down to 5 or 6 at most. You won't really need to break ranks, you should be fine with just killing power. I can understand your desire to run calvery comming from playing dwarfs. My first army was dwarfs, and I said my second was going to be completely different. So I went from a slow, no magic, never get the charge, always strike last army.... to a fast, awesome cav, magic god, always strike first army. Couldn't find a better 180 flip. still though, 18 in one unit is a waste. If you really want the 18, at least make it 3 seperate units.

Take your PG down to a more reasonable level. I have never seen or heard of PG higher than 22, and that assumes a full compliment of characters are with it. I'd use the extra points to get either some sword masters or some archers. If it's all goblins, its all T3 like us. Thats a 50% chance to wound with the arrows, which will hit at 50% or better. Volly from both SeaGuard, plus a unit or two of archers means 20-30 dead goblins a turn, which is more than enough to systematically take our ranks. It also pains me to see you have no RBT. You're a dwarf guy, so you should love the artillery aspect. And if you're expecting blocks of 50-60 goblins, why not go for the thing that can take out 5-6 of them per shot? RBT can multi shot, which makes it great against goblin "cav" even.

Also, your mage can't take both the wand and a dispell scroll. Only one arcane item per character. I'd toss the scroll and boost the archmage up to lvl4. For that matter, I'd switch the wand to the archmage and give the staff to the lvl 2. That way you can pick the spells you want for that mage, and you'll be pretty much gaurenteed the 3 spells you were going to pick before for the archmage. All the while, adding +5 to dispell against the max compliment of goblin shamans. Also consider switching the lores, and giveing life to the lvl4, and shadows to the lvl2. if you can get a +4 to cast dwellers below off on a bunch of goblins, you're looking at 50% of them dropping instantly.

Hopefully some of the things that have been said are helpful. If you do nothing else, cut the dragon princes down and get 2-3 eagles. They'll be worth the cost. Don't worry too much about keeping them alive, thier purpose will be to reveal fanatics and save your actual troops. As long as they do that, they were worth the points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well had my game today and got well and truly butchered, thanks to my Archmage miscasting on the first turn and blowing himself and 3/4 of the unit of Seaguard he was with to pieces. Then on the second turn my other mage doing the exact same.

The phoenix guard, Swordmaster and Dragon Princes did great but they ended up getting overran just with numbers and the fact that every dice i rolled for armour and ward saves failed.

But had good fun and i'm having a re-match tomorrow so with any luck i'll be able to make my saves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh wow. What an unexpected turn! But worry not, if your casters wouldn't have spontaneously combusted, you'd have done much better =)

Post up how the second game goes.
    Fantasy: High Elves 7000pts / Warriors of Chaos 6000pts. 40k: Eldar 5000pts / Chaos Marines 2500pts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well the re-match went much better neither of my mages destroyed themselves and the rest of the units were outstanding, especially the swordmasters they carved through the gobbos with ease and then the dragon princes smashed into the side and bye unit of goblins.

Cheers for the advice, next opponent is 3000pts of chaos much harder than goblins so should be fun.

+ Reply to Thread