>3000 4000 vs. Warriors of Chaos - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    125 (x4)

4000 vs. Warriors of Chaos

Hello there,

A friend of mine has challenged me to a 4000p. match versus his and another guy's Warriors of Chaos, and I turn to you for some advice on my list. I'm not used to playing large games, and I know these guys will do their best to beat me, so if anyone knows any usual tricks from WoC players I'd really like to know.

This list is based on the models I have, though I have some additional models if you really think I need them.

Characters
    Lvl. 4 Mage 355 (Lore of Shadow)
    Silver Wand
    Folariath's Robe
    Loremaster's Cloak

Prince 632
    Star Dragon
    Armour of Caledor
    Vambraces of Defence
    Potion of Toughness
    Great Weapon

Noble 176 (With Swordmasters)
    BSB
    Banner of the World Dragon
    Heavy Armour
    Shield

Lvl. 1 Mage 120 (Lore of Metal)(With Spearmen)
    Dispel Scroll

Core Units
    29 Spearmen 306
    Full Command
    Warbanner

25 Lothern Seaguard 350
    Full Command

25 Lothern Seaguard 350
    Full command

Special Units
    39 Swordmasters 630
    Full Command
    Standard of Discipline

20 Phoenix Guard 380
    Full Command
    Banner of Sorcery

20 White Lions 350
    Full Command

Rare Units
    RBT

RBT

Great Eagle

Great Eagle

Great Eagle

Some questions:

* Is it a bit overkill with both a Dragon Lord and an Archmage?
    * Is it a bit overkill with 40 Swordmasters?
    * Where should I put my Archmage? I'm planning on putting him in the WL to make sure they don't die to magic, but I have seen many players putting him with the PG.

Regards,

Last edited by Rising Leviathan; February 2nd, 2011 at 17:17.
    5000p. High Elves
    1000p. Eldar

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

I would swap your Archmage to Book of Hoeth and the Lore of Life. Bump your little mage up to L2, give him the lore of shadow and the silver wand (and make sure you get Enfeebling Foe). This will allow you to drop a units I by d3, then kill any who fail an I test.

Drop the BSBs magic banner, and swap it for Dragon Armour, Trickster's Helm and Guardian Phoenix (thus keeping him alive a lot longer) and get him a great weapon.

Swordmasters aren't the best to put in a horde due to their 2 attacks, PG are better - and 40 PG aren't going anywhere soon, making them a good bunker for your mages.

Personally I prefer large LSG units, you can probably get close to 2 units of 40 with the points you've currently got invested in core units, and they will get you a lot of S&S shots plus even more ASF spear hits - most things attacking them will be severely reduced before even getting to attack.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    125 (x4)

Hehe, I knew someone would mention the book, but sadly I agreed not to use it, and I see why, it really is good and if I can use the book I could just as well take Teclis. Anyway, I really like this subtle AM setup, he's not a magic beast, but he can really confer so much to my army, not that a Life mage can't, but at this point level, I feel the Lore of Life makes you make some hard decisions I don't have to take with Shadow. In addition, I have to rely on getting a couple of key spells, with the book, that is. I'm considering putting him with the PG and give him the Talisman of Saphery to make his uber Chaos Lord useless...

On the BSB, the plan is that if the SMs reach the enemy, he's done his job, and I can either refuse his mandatory challenge, (I assume he nominates the BSB and not the unit champ to go in the back rank), or just leave the unit one turn before. I know they are going to have their bucks on magic, and this will be their first target I guess. I also would love to filed a horde of WL or PG, but sadly I don't have enough models, and I hate proxying that obvious models. I could split them in two units, but this would make one of them an even juicier target of magic if I don't put my AM in there, and I don't want him in combat with my shocktroopers.

If I go with two units of Lothern Sea Guard, I can have 36 models in each and the Warbanner in one of the units. Then I could change back and forth between 5*7+1, 6*6 or even 12*3 if I feel shooty. Good idea?

Thanks alot for your help,

Regards,
    5000p. High Elves
    1000p. Eldar

+ Reply to Thread