Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Hey guys, just posting up my entire army. Constructive criticism only please, e.g. things I need to get to boost it to 3000.
Prince - 235
Sword of hoeth, armour of caledor
Mage - 161
Seerstaff of saphery
Mage - 180
Lothern sea guard X 26 - 388
Archers X 15 - 180
Spearmen X 15 - 160
Pheonix guard X 10 - 156
Sword masters X 10 - 195
banner of ellyrion
Silver helms X 6 - 134
Dragon princes X 5 - 275
banner of sorcery
Ellyrian reavers X 5 - 112
Shadow warriors X 5 - 80
Bolt throwers X 3 - 300
The units work in synchronisation, with the powerful units (dragon princes, sword masters, pheonix guard) charging, weaker units (ellyrian reavers, silver helms, lothern sea guard) covering flanks and charging flanks, the shadow warriors take care of war machine crews and bolt throwers and archers soften up enemies for weaker units to charge if all the strong units are preoccupied.
I think I need to add more archers and shadow warriors, and maybe bolster the strong unit's numbers. Ideas? Also, I have 61 points spare. What do I spend it on?
Last edited by Aun'Vre; February 28th, 2011 at 03:28.
"Victory is sweet, blood is sweeter." - Aun'Vre
A few tips.
1. Lose the light armor on the archers. Also, you are 100 points over in the "core" section, eliminate some spears and make them seaguard. A unit smaller than 5x5 is useless as they can fight in 4 ranks... use that to your advantage. Archers are also "overkill" if you have seaguard. Use Warriors and Archers OR Seaguard.
2. Way too much cavalry. Lose the reavers and maybe use their points for shadow warriors. Also, dont use the foe bane on the dragon prince champion. He would not gain the strength bonus from the charge, and you dont want to charge anything (ideally) with your DP's that have 2 wounds or more (unless maybe salamanders or hydras?). Honestly, I've found DP's work better without a champion and instead add a 6th to their rank.
3. You NEED a BSB. It is imperative. Make it happen. A good build is AoC with GP and a GW (2+ AS and 5++ Ward, usually hits on a 3+ wounds on a 2+)
4. Dual level 2 mages - in a 2500 point game, your opponent is bound to take an archmage or lvl 4 sorcerer. Switch them out for an Archmage.
5. Sword on a mage is useless, you dont want to get him into battle. Take the Annulian Crystal or seerstaff. Also the asuryan sigil has saved my ass a few times.
Did you not read the whole thing? I have the models, as per the list, so only the undisplayed features may be changed. What I asked for is what to ADD.
Also, in future posts at least try to seem less condecending.
1. covered above, and what do you mean 100 points over? Read the rules, you are meant to be OVER 25% of the cost in core not under. With high elves, archers are not overkill at all, especially in a 2500 point list. In fact, I probably should have gotten more!
2. I like cavalry and find it to be effective. You are no-one to tell me otherwise.
3. No, I don't. Please direct me to the page in the rulebook where it says that you do.
4. Not really, and covered above
5. Alright, your only good point. Since I have spare points I will make him level 2 with a seerstaff.
Remember, you're new. Make a good reputation, take to mind that people won't listen to you a lot because of it. Don't come on too strong and read the thread, not the army list.
Last edited by Aun'Vre; February 28th, 2011 at 03:35.
"Victory is sweet, blood is sweeter." - Aun'Vre
Theyre only suggestions, obviously, I can't tell you what to do. only points to take into consideration. You can always proxy units, people do it all the time especially since you dont want to spend a lot of money on a unit you havent tested out only to find it to be crap.
The point I made about you being "over" the core unit minimum is that of unit value. One model of Lothern Sea Guard costs 13 points with a shield. One model of White Lions cost 15 points. The ability to be able to field greater amounts of "better" units is why one should attempt to take the LEAST amount of core units making one's army as effective as possible within the limitations of the rules given.
If you like cavalry, use it. Again, I am not telling you what to do, only suggestions. They can be used very effectively in a battle.
It doesn't help your cause to be so critical against someone willing to give advice you asked for. Try loosening your trousers a bit.
Also, 5 Shadow warriors are going to have a little difficulty taking out a lot. Sadly, our dark brethren have a much better equivalent. Add a few of them to be more effective. Maybe 2 groups of 5?
I don't see the banner of eternal flame in there. It would be advantageous to use on a hard hitting unit in case you run into a regenerating unit.
I've read the whole post,
My suggestions would be to not add more units, but rather buff the ones you have, at least the spearmen and either split the archers in 2 units of ten or just use one, large unit. Two other units that, in my opinion, would need a buff are the Swordmasters and the Phoenix Guard. The PG would perform better in a unit of 20 to get some static combat res, as offense is not really their thing. When it comes to the Swordmasters, I'd buy another unit of 10, and perhaps drop the magic banner on your unit as I don't really see the point of having it, but if you do, please enlighten me. Other than this, it's a fine list, and the extra points I would use on an eagle, they can really annoy your opponents to death, at least their models.
To reach 3000p., have you considered proxying the Silver Helms for Dragon Princes? That would give you another strong unit, or a big killer unit, though it might be a bit overkill.
Oh, and regarding a BSB, it's not mandatory, but I would STRONGLY reccomend one.
Hope it helped,
5000p. High Elves
The things that I would add to the list are
15 spears are, I think, a token effort at adding in Core. Either increase them to at least 20 or combine the models into your seaguard and make 2 blocks of 20 seaguard or 1 of 40. I would also leave the armour off the archers but if you have armour on the models and you play a strict "What you see is what you get" then that is fine.
In terms of what I would add, probably only in the elite infantry. 10 SM are alright, I prefer 12 though so maybe a box of 5 of them. 10 PG seem like a complete waste, they are our best anvil due to their ward saves so I would want to get another 10 at least, so 2 boxes.
Unfortunately my personal feelings about Shadow Warriors is that skirmishers are now garbage, and almost impossible to use effectively and have an impact on the battlefield. Forcing them into a formation makes them hard to hide, they can't marchblock effectively anymore and hatred is totally unnecessary as they are high initiative and will get rerolls against basically everyone anyway. For shooting you are better with Archers and for combat you are better with anything else, no ranks, no banners, they can't disrupt a formation. For me they got forced out of the game by 8th ed.
Finally I would drop Foe Bane and look at some of the common enchanted items that you can take, maybe there is a potion there that will add more to your killing power without permanently dropping your strength. I agree about the banner of Ellyrion, Infantry only rarely have to take difficult terrain tests and its not really needed.
The mage with the Guardian Phoenix and Seerstaff has 55pts of magic items.
To answer your question
Dropping Foe Bane, Guardian Phoenix, Banner of Ellyrion and Shadow Warriors I would spend the remaining 180pts on 10 PG and 2 SM, or if you don't want to drop the SW then just all into PG
Last edited by Allonairre; February 28th, 2011 at 21:21. Reason: Answering your question