<3000 2500pts non-competitive ToXG list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2500pts non-competitive ToXG list

Hi everyone!
    This is my first list on the high elf forum and so all feedback is welcome.
    This is my list I am going to be painting for The Tale of X Gamers so is based on models I already own. I am not bothered about winning every game but dont want to lose all the time either! I realise some consider teclis super cheesy and he is but I am going to use him anyway since I like him and my regular opponents dont mind me taking him. Please comment and criticize as much as you like but give reasons why you think hope you do so I can decide whether to implement it or not.

Lords- 475

Teclis

Heroes- 333

Noble
    BSB
    Great Weapon
    Armour of Caledor
    Guardian Phoenix

Mage
    lvl 2
    Seerstaff of Saphery

Core- 662

38 Spearmen
    Full Command

20 Lothern Sea Guard
    Shields
    Full Command
    Banner of Eternal Flame

Special- 725

19 Phoenix Guard
    Full Command
    Banner of Sorcery

10 Swordmasters
    Full Command

10 Swordmasters
    Full Command

Rare- 300

Bolt Thrower

Bolt Thrower

Great Eagle

Great Eagle

[B]Total- 2485pts

General tactics are that the spear elves and phoenix guard bunker characters and anchor my line with the swordmasters flanking to cause major casualties in combat. The seaguard sit on a flank, slowly pushing forward, firing as they go, working to soften up the enemy with the two bolt throwers. The eagles go mage/ warmachine hunting while my own mages ( I'm thinking Teclis takes Life and the lvl 2 takes Shadow) keep my men alive and coause a bit of friendly mahem.

All comments welcome please point out flaws in both list and tactics since my WHFB experience is woefully small.

regards,

jaden137

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

It looks pretty solid - from an objective standpoint, there's not too much to add, other then that 10 man units of SM are a little small, and that FC is not worth it on them.

As for personal critique (that can, and probably will be debated) - I find neither Eagles nor Bolt throwers to be worth it (and small seaguard units are kinda meh). Bolt throwers are free vp for the enemy, nothing else, and eagles are simply too bad, to seriously threaten any serious gunline (and we can shrug off the shooting of the odd lone spear thrower/catapult thanks to magic).
    The Silver Knights of Tor Adrac (He): 26/2/4
    The Spears of Slaanesh (Woc): 7/2/5
    Battlegroup Chalybso (GK): 7/3/3

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    163 (x3)

I would drop the eagles for more SMs and isn't the banner of sorecery a little overkill since you have teclis already?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

Actually, the banner+teclis is ideal, as it gives you an average 11 magic dice - in other words, you can safely account on double digit dice numbers in your magic phase, without going too far above the limit.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

163 (x3)

Yeah I know, but that is just about the cheesiest of cheese for one army to take and I am usually loathed to recommend that set up since I have seen many people get bent all over shape about it. In fact, where I play, this set up is banned. but hey, if this is ok for you then do it and just dominate the hell out of the magic phase. But really, you need more SM...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

It's not really all that cheesy (and neither is teclis - what with those domination of the magic phase resting on the shoulders of a single T2 model with no saves). As for people banning setups or throwing hissy fits - screw them basically. You can play the cheesiest of setups friendly, but you can't play a friendly army cheesy, if someone else brings their cheese (which is of course totally different).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the feedback so far guys.
    Since you both say the swordmaster units are a bit small, and FC is unnecessary what kind of size and add-ons should I be looking at?

Jaden137

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

129 (x8)

Just a little reminder, you must specify the Lore for Teclis and the Mage in your list. The Mage with seerstaff must also specify which spells he will take when you write the list.

I would rather have that lvl 2 using High Magic and the Annulian Crystal. You will probably have more use of that overall, but then I do not know what you planned to use him for of course, I can see how useful it would be to go Shadow and pick Enfeebling Foe to use in combo with Teclis Dwellers. But you are guaranteed to get two useful spells (Drain Magic and Shield of Saphery) and one possibly useful spell. The Annulian Crystal has the potential to have an enormous impact on your enemy's magic phase (if he rolls low for winds of magic, and everytime one of his winds of magic dice are a 1), but always helps a great deal.

You would probably be best off stripping the command from the swordmasters and buffing their numbers up to, say, 14 if you can afford it somehow.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

I personally run my SM 7x3, but that's a bit of an odd case (with the other tricksters shard and the banner of eternal flame). In your setup, building them up to 7x2 with a musician should go nicely. take the points you'll be lacking from the eagles - those are pretty useless anyway.

As for high magic - basically no. I don't know what people have with high magic, but especially on a lv2 it's not that amazing. The Annulian crystal is a situational item - it's nice to have, but we don't need it until two slanns or fateweaver show up. You're already D3 dice ahead, plus the HE Bonus. Additional dispel dice and Drain Magic really aren't that necessary. The Shadowmage on the other hand (besides freeing the points for another swordmaster) Gives you enfeeble, and either the Mindrazor or the ability to reliably debuff Movement/WS and shadowdance Teclis to safety, both which a blessings by Asurian himself basically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the tips.
    If I drop both eagles and the commands on the SM I have 165 points spare. keeping a musician and upping the men to 14 in each SM unit will give me 25 points left. Should I leave it or is there something useful to spend it on?

Jaden137

+ Reply to Thread