<3000 3000 point friendly list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3000 point friendly list

I wanted a army themed around Dragons and magic and this is the 3k list I came up with.

LORDS

Archmage lvl 4
    +sun dragon
    +Talisman of Preservation
    +feedback scroll
    Lore of Life

HEROES

Dragon mage
    +Sigil of Asuryan

Mage
    +dispel scroll
    High magic

CORE

LSG *39
    +command/shields
    +Banner of Arcane protection

Spearmen *15 +command

Archers *14 +standard/hawkeye

SPECIAL

Phoenix Guard *15 + command
    +banner of sorcery

Dragon Princes *5 + command
    +Razor standard

Sword Masters *12
    +standard/bladelord

Lion chariot

RARE

Reapeater Bolt thrower

=3000 points.

What do you think? I wanted to try something new. So I figured I would try out an army that has some shooting to go with magic.

Will 5 DPs be enough if Im running them in tandem with the lion chariot? Is only 12 sword masters a waste?

Or should I forget about the LSG and RBT and just use spearmen and bulk up in other places? Really I just wanted to use my dragon archmage model as its been sitting a while. I will probably do a Tyrion and princes/sword masters list soon too for the same reason. Im sick of using Teclis and hearing excuses, lol, so he can sit a while. My everqueen and maiden guard proxy for LSG and mage so I use her regularly.

What do you guys think? Can I control the magic phase and compete with this or will I get smashed?

Rules for playing massive tabletop games with star wars miniatures!
    http://starwarstabletopbattles.webs.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

It certainly is different, I have never nor will ever field an army that is anything like this. I don't really like Dragon Mages or Archmages on Dragons but it might be fun to play with. A couple of things that I would change round assuming that you stick with the weird character choices.

15 spears seems like a waste of points, they aren't worth protecting and I wouldn't expect them to be able to contribute anything to a combat, better to make the Seaguard into 50 and put the rest into the Archer unit.

I would make a similar argument to the break down of your special choices, 12 SM is fine 15 PG seems a bit light at the points level you are playing and 5 DP + command with banner is expensive. Without adjusting the feel of the army too much I think that I would take 6 DP naked (saving 60 points), drop the bladelord and increase the Phoenix Guard to 20. If you do intend to run the DP with the chariot then possibly put the banner back on the DP, I still wouldn't expect them to be able to deal enough damage to manage a successful charge on an infantry block however. I think that the Dragon Princes and Swordmasters are better used as flankers where the chariot combo charge (front or flank) with the Seaguard giving them some higher strength attacks and kills.

Personally I would restructure your list and go squishy heavy, either lots of smallish units of Sword masters with deep narrow Anvils of either Spears, seaguard or Phoenix guard. The idea being that you overwhelm your opponent with tempting targets and make them make poor decisions in game as they have to prioritise between Swordmasters, Lion Chariots and Mages on Dragons to shoot at. Course this very much depends on your opponents list
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply. I have never run a list like this either, so I figured I would try it. All 4500 points of my elves were built between 5th and 7th and alot of it has become obsolete in 8th, which is my biggest problem. But people always rave about the look of my dragon mages so part of the reason for this list is to get some pats on the back for my painting chops, lol. If I dropped the spears and upped the LSG to 50, would you go 10 by 5?
    Should I drop the DPs and lion chariot and bulk up ny PGs and SMs?
    The list is basically an excuse for the 2 dragons anyway so any other units can come or go.

Can you think of a setup that would work with the dragons and give me a shot at winning the vame instead of just having the nicest paintjob (noone has ever had better paintjobs than me at my local, so I win the painting part every time, lol).

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

yes 5x10 on the Seaguard, so a horde to make them good and scary to look at.

That is a tonne of magic defense either way.

Never tried it but I like the idea of a lion chariot combo charging with the Seaguard, both hitting the front. Less of a fan of DP atm though, and I really would like to get more elite infantry in, however if Dragons are the theme then DP seem to fit really nicely. Not sure how I would approach the game though, I just don't know how to use the Dragon Mages effectively.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya that is the biggest problem I am having ATM. What to do when half the model wants to eat your face off but the other half wants no part of combat....
    Hmmm...
    Oh well I will see what happens. Its just a "try something new for fun" list anyway.
    Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok. I reluctantly took the clippers to a dragonmage and did some gluing to change my list a bit. I enjoyed modelling dragonmages but they are too hard to justify on the table but I will keep one as I dont have the heart to kill both models.
    So here is the list I was going to try out on Saturday (tomorrow). I should probably drop the DPs and kitty kart but Im trying to still stick with the dragon/beasties theme.

LORDS =747
    Prince on Sun Dragon
    +armour of Caledor
    +vambraces of defense
    +great weapon

Archmage lvl 4
    +opal amulet

HEROES =513
    Dragonmage
    +dispel scroll

Noble BSB
    +hvy armour
    +helm of fortune
    +extra hand weapon

CORE =813
    LSG *48
    +command/shields
    +banner of arcane protection

Archers *14
    +hawkeye

SPECIAL = 827
    Phoenix guard *15
    +command/banner of sorcery

Dragon Princes *5
    +banner/drakemaster

Sword Masters *12
    +banner

Lion chariot

RARE
    Repeater bolt thrower
    =3000 points

I probably wont need the sword master banner but I had those points left over after adding everything up. I wish I had more PGs but they use to be costly in metal and I hated working with metals so 15 is all I have. I should buy new plastics but I be broke right now.

How does this look. I know it isnt the best build but I think I can make this list work better than the last while still keeping the overall theme I was after.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

399 (x8)

Looks like it will be tonnes of fun. Glad you stuck with the theme, let us know how it goes anyway, it would be fun to figure out a way to play this list effectively.

Good luck

Really like the painting videos, can't wait to see the stills of you elves as well.
    Last edited by Allonairre; January 20th, 2012 at 20:08.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. I will post back how things went in the game. Thanks about the comment on the videos. Most of my minis actually look a little better than in those videos as I tend to rush videos out before I get a chance to touch-up and wash them. With 10 armies between fantasy and 40k and some painting commissions here and there, I always seem to be on to the next thing. Slop some paint, get bored, bash out a video, then on to a different army, either finishing off the army (washing and stuff) or else on to a new army. I'm a sucker for any new armybook/codex and hope one day to have every army there is. The ultimate goal is to have it all so when friends come over, I have the table, dice, templates, and every army there is so just leave your stuff at home and come play. I supply the gaming stuff, you supply the Bugman's brew, lol. I still have a long way to go.

I just borrowed my sister's camera though so I will send you a elf mage pic tonight as well. Again, Thanks for everything Allonaire. Good on ya.
    Cheers.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

399 (x8)

Holy crap that is an impressive goal, particularly given you like to give people a lot of options for the army lists they can build, not just heres 2000pts play with that.

Was particularly impressed with the grey knights but I think that was partly because the shot of all you armies the camera was still over them for a while and they came into focus nicely
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

+ Reply to Thread