<1000 1k friendly list (mostly against pesky DE) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1k friendly list (mostly against pesky DE)

Hi, I'm new here & looking for advice. I currently only play with my friend who has Dark Elves (soon to have a WoC army too), and so far we've had about 6 games of which I've won a grand total of 0. I keep changing my list a little bit, but I'm restricted by the models that I (don't) have. Anyway here's what I last used (I think):

Heroes 145

Mage
    Level 2
    Silver wand
    High Magic

Core 281

19 Spearmen

10 Archers

Special 464

14 Swordmasters
    Champion, Standard Bearer
    Banner of Sorcery

12 Swordmasters

Rare 100

Repeater Bolt Thrower

We play on a pretty small table, so his repeater crossbows seem to decimate me. I tried using SM models as White Lions but it seemed that by the time they got to the enemy they couldn't kill enough to help me win. With Hydra, Black Guard and RXBs my opponent has too many things I want to kill, & I don't have enough models.

So any suggestions to what I could try and change would be really appreciated

I have just got my hands on the army boxed set so I've got lots of new models (and a huge painting queue) I could potentially field, sadly no eagles though.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Tough job, RBT are just brutal on our low T low armour, low number troops.

With that in mind I think that I would go with a L3 mage with seer staff, I think thats legal at 1000. Choose life and take regrowth, throne of vines and toughness buff.

make your SM one big unit of 21 and buff them, take a Tiranoc Chariot or 5 naked Silverhelms, if possible instead of an eagle, I would probably only take spears as well. A unit of 30 or so, hydra will still be a pain, but give your spear flaming attacks banner and that should help.

You could try bound fireball ring on your bladelord to snipe some wounds off the hydra but that hardly ever works. May put special over 50% cap too.

Good luck.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Archmage and seerstaff is 255, just over though my friend probably won't mind as its only by 5. I tried life once but didn't have the staff and didn't really get the spells I wanted, maybe this would work better.

Lvl3 Mage, 29 spears (flaming banner), 21 SMs and 5 helms leaves about 37 points I think, & I dont have a lot of units there....

We play every week though so I've got plenty of time to try it, or try completely different lists. & Im getting used to losing so it's ok if it doesn't work

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Darrenjdd View Post
    Archmage and seerstaff is 255, just over though my friend probably won't mind as its only by 5. I tried life once but didn't have the staff and didn't really get the spells I wanted, maybe this would work better.

Lvl3 Mage, 29 spears (flaming banner), 21 SMs and 5 helms leaves about 37 points I think, & I dont have a lot of units there....

We play every week though so I've got plenty of time to try it, or try completely different lists. & Im getting used to losing so it's ok if it doesn't work
    You could try the Silver wand but only getting 4 of the spells you will probably roll the 3 you don't really want unfortunately and no doubles. I would try and keep the list legal though, sorry I forgot the cost of an AM.

The options with a lower level caster are to go with beasts for the base spell, +1S, +1 toughness may help. High for the ward save or, and this really isn't used much, a low level caster with Lore of metal and take Glittering Robes and any other spell. This is one of the best spells to protect an infantry line as all the units within 12" can gain +2 to their armour save giving SM and Spears a respectable 3+ save. If you left the list as it was I would take this spell so as to defend all 3 units as best as you can. I guess you could also take Shadow for the base spell and just drop BS of his shooting units.

As to the lack of units the idea is that aside from the Silver helms the other 2 units are good enough to go toe to toe with anything that DE can throw at them. A unit of DE with ASF will be a pain but not insurmountable, you don't get rerolls against the black guard anyway as they are I6.

I am big on control with my lists, as a result I tend to prefer a low level caster to be taking the Seer staff, to much chance of getting a rubbish spell otherwise, or taking a lore where the base spell is what I want, Hence Beasts occasionally Fire and sometimes High Magic (5+ ward).

A trick that has worked for me in the past,
    Flaming banner on Seaguard, RBT or 2, Ruby Ring on a Champion, Drop Toughness (from Shadow) spell on mage. Use the fireball to scare up dice casting at the hydra, then cast drop toughness on the hydra. Using the flaming seaguard shooting to get rid of Regen, then shoot it with your RBT, this should take it down a few wounds at least which helps with its stupid breathe attack. Once you have done a few wounds you can afford to target other units a bit more but Hydra's are nasty at 5 wounds. This takes a certain list to play and I don't necessarily think that it is optimal, but you may want to bear it in mind.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow that's a tactic that would never even cross my mind. I did try a list with most of those components, maybe I'll try it again.

As it happens I had a couple of small battles today but my friend used Chaos (half his models were dark elves but still), & I lost both so I'd really like to win a game soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Repeater crossbows will decimate swordmasters with no buffs. Lore of life is the way to go, get your mage kitted out and dominate him in the magic phase/s. High elves are really expensive so by rule of thumb they are at a bit of a disadvantage to the likes of chaos at lower point games, if you push for 1500pt battles you may stand a better chance of winning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I've found that out the hard way. One game I advanced and between 2 bolt throwers and 20 crossbows, there was practically nothing left of my army by the time it got to the enemy. If I'd had something fast, and got Saphery off, and maybe had Lions instead of Swords it might have been different....

Tried taking life once but with a level 2, the chances of me getting anything useful are slim. If I get throne its practically useless as that means I can only cast one other spell which my opponent saves his dice for, or if I pick the signature spell I can buff my Mage and archers....great. Could try the silver wand, but I'd be worried I wouldn't get the spells I want. Even with seerstaff I don't think life is great on a level 2, will definitely be using it when I can afford to field a level 4 though!

I haven't actually played DE since I posted this, my opponents been trying out WoC, which I have lost twice to (bad dice rolls in one game, and an incredibly stupid mistake in the second: Charging 3 units against his lone juggernaught hero, forgetting he would just challenge and leave all my units open to flank attacks.....doh!).

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

399 (x8)

Even in a challenge you should still be winning. This is a favourite trick with Phoenix Guard, their 4+ ward may keep them alive but will minimise the overkill, Ranks + Banners + Charging should be enough to tip the scales. Remember the maximum overkill you can get is 5 in a challenge and even in a challenge you still take break tests unless the character is unbreakable, having said that 3 units is slight overkill possibly a unit with 3 ranks and a banner and a eagle or something from the rear that gives you a bit extra combat res is all you should need at most. Could still be embarassing as the character could easily hold up the units for a long time. You also don't have to accept challenges if you don't want too.

I agree about life and a Level 2 as well, it really needs 4 spells, preferably more even. Depending on the style of army you are running depends on what I would recommend, for MSU bubble protection is ideal and I think that the buffed base life spell is a bubble which might be perfect.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem was I had my own noble charge in not in a unit, when he challenged me he had no choice but to accept. If it hadn't been for my noble it would have all gone to plan, that was my mistake. Can't remember what the static combat res was, but it wasn't enough to break him, might have been lucky dice rolls on his part.

+ Reply to Thread