Help with 2000 pt army. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with 2000 pt army.

How does this sound for a rought sketch of a 2000 pt. army?

Commander
    Mage

16 Spearmen with Full Command
    8 Silver Helms with Full Command, Heavy Armor and Shields
    16 Archers with Longbows and Full Command

20 Swordmasters with Full Command
    Tiranoc Chariot

16 White Lions with Full Command
    16 Phoenix Guard with Full Command
    2 Bolt Throwers

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Welcome to LO

Right, a few thoughts.

The main thing that stands out to me is that you have everything in multiples of 4. I know that's how the plastics come, but in 7th ed you need a unit to be 5 wide in order to get a rank bonus. 20 Swordmasters is fine because that gives 4 ranks 5 wide, giving you full rank bonus.

I would say the spearmen unit should be larger, perhaps 20 or 24, that's 4 ranks of either 5 or 6 wide, giving them quite a lot of attacks with fight in 3 ranks. This allows you to lose a rank before you lose any attacks.

Silver Helms are a very useful unit, but again 8 isn't a good number to take. Either drop 2 or 3 and take them as a small 5/6 man flanking unit, or add an extra rank if you want to use them more directly.

Archers are usually best used in smaller units as only the front rank can fire. Also, full command is a bad choice on them. The extra BS of the champion isn't worth it considering you can get another archer for the same price, and the standard is just easy VPs for the enemy. A musician does have its uses though, helping the unit to rally if they do end up fleeing.

Onto the rares. You can't have white lions, phoenix guard and bolt throwers in a 2000pt army unless you give a character the lion guard honour, allowing you to take white lions as special. A lot of people don't think white lions are very effective, others like them, its a matter of opinion. Phoenix Guard, however, are very rarely used. This is because they take up a valuable rare slot (best used for eagles and bolt throwers), and aren't worth their points anyway. That's a pity as the models are nice, but really you're better off with other units.

If you want to have a lot of infantry blocks a battle standard bearer is a good option, as it could help anchor your battle line. It would be quite solid if you have the general lead the white lions, making them stubborn. If you had a commander with lion guard he could then lead another unit giving you two stubborn infantry units.

One mage won't do all to much in the magic phase, so would best be utilised as a scroll caddy. If you want a strong offensive magic phase you will need at least one more mage, possibly an archmage, though this would use up a lot of points and leave you with a character heavy army, which is unavoidable if you do want a lot of magic.

Try making a list a posting it here, you should get some helpful responses.
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

help indeed

Pheonix guard and white lions are too expensive and they get away from the only two really effective high elf stratagy, cavalry and lots of it or, archers bolt throwers and mages.

Calvary armies with a mage lord, commander and a level one mage is very effective, but you need some heavy hitting choices such as chariots and dragon princes.
    Also having ellyrion reavers to get at the flanks helps a ton.

The only real high elf infantry army is mages, bolt throwers and archers and make the enemy come to you. And of coarse some spearmen, swordmasters, and a swordmaster lord for when the enemy gets close.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by natephilip View Post
    Pheonix guard and white lions are too expensive and they get away from the only two really effective high elf stratagy, cavalry and lots of it or, archers bolt throwers and mages.

Calvary armies with a mage lord, commander and a level one mage is very effective, but you need some heavy hitting choices such as chariots and dragon princes.
    Also having ellyrion reavers to get at the flanks helps a ton.

The only real high elf infantry army is mages, bolt throwers and archers and make the enemy come to you. And of coarse some spearmen, swordmasters, and a swordmaster lord for when the enemy gets close.

I have used lions a lot and well believe me they can kick arse.
    They are not to expensive and do well in CC. I always charge in CC (long live mov 5) and those attacks hit hard!
    Phoenix guards are indeed expenisive for what they do i will agree on that one.

frodomatic, welcome to the club

You're ideas for teh list are good, but as Ancalagon said you need 5 wide to get a rank so 20+ numbers are good.

Might i suggest using a Prince and 2 lv2 mages as characters?
    The prince can dish out in CC and two lv2 will usually get you a nice good magic department.

Hope it helps
    "Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and terrifying to know"

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

First of all, welcome to the Asur. They are a good army, but need to be played to their strengths to be successful.

The army you are laying out is an ok base, but you need to make sure ranks of 5 are observed to make sure you have static combat res. Make sure you have magic to concentrate your enemies into areas you want to fight.

The advice above is sound, but here is a link to a decent 2000pt list that I helped someone else design. I have used one quite simular and done ok with it

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ad.php?t=93811 (2000 High Elves)

I hope this helps

:ninja: out
    New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

+ Reply to Thread