New Themed Armies? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Themed Armies?

I'm sure everyone is aware of the HE previews that have made their way around the forums and things. Figures for special characters like Caradryan (Phoenix Guard), Korhil (White Lions), and Alith Anar (Shadow Warriors) have shown up, which kinda make me wonder if new White Lions or Phoenix Guard will be made (already seen new Shadow Warriors) which make me wonder about the possibilities of new army concepts. Given the rumor and best speculation, can anyone give me some thoughts on possible White Lion or Phoenix Guard themed armies?

Pain is life, while I feel pain I still live, and while I still live I will seek vengance.
    We are few but strong in will
    The last with pagan blood
    We fought the world with burning steel
    Now we sit in Hall of Gods

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

White lions look great in winter settings: snow on bases, white-gray fur and clothes.
    Cheers,
    Yarrek

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Cyric the Mad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    706 (x8)

Honestly, plastic Phoenix Guard would be a welcome boon, but other than that I think the current Phoenix Guard models are just about as cool as anything out there - I wouldn't want to see them change too drastically.

For purely fluff and model reasons, I'm a huge fan of Phoeix Guard. No matter what else happens, I'll be happy if I just get to take more of them. As for a general theme, I wouldn't go the winter route (already done that with Wood Elves) - but I would probably do more to make them seem regal - reds and purples perhaps. I think an entire King's Guard army would be fun, with a healthy dose of Phoenix Guard at the core of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

I'm pretty sure that IF we see new White Lion or Phoenix Guard models it won't be for at least 6 months.. Seems what is already seen is all GW is doing for HE, which is a shame. As far as rules, 4+ wards for Phoenix Guard is looking pretty promising.

There may be rules for themed armies from different areas of Ulthuan.. I wouldn't expect it. But you will certainly be able to theme armies better in general: all 0-1 restrictions gone and 6 special/4rare choices in 2k.

An army themed around Phoenix Guard, maybe the army is the Phoenix Kings personal or something, would be pretty cool. White Lions will have the White Lion chariots so have two unit options.

I won't be theming an army around a specific unit as my army is going to be painted up like Spartans, but I will most definitely be finally buying up a unit (maybe two) of Phoenix Guard. The models are fantastic and they will most likely be worth taking in the new rules.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

131 (x5)

Expect to see many Caledor themed armies early on, as Dragons are going to be immensly popular and 4 will be availiable to be taken at 2000 points. I'm sort of saddened by this. A Caledor themed army drew me to HE originally, and now it seems all the power gamers will be over here running 4 dragon lists, because well, you can have 4 dragons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

Albeit, 3 of the dragons will be 'lesser', right? not the full blown adults.

I'd hate to see a lot of these rumours being true. It would seem like a step away from the balance & theme of FB.. 40k is for listhammer & cheese etc, FB is a nice balanced game at present. Id hate to see that change.

Anyway, as for themes- I like to see them based around looks. Such as a certain colour or terrian. Not based around in-game abilities. Thats basically power-gaming. Themes should be purely visual/fluff oriented.
    The armies already have their own in-game themes- such as all cavalry, or gun lines etc.

Cheres
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

131 (x5)

Only Lords will be able to ride the "strongest" dragon. The others will indeed be "lesser" dragons.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Cyric the Mad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    706 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Manu_Forti View Post
    Anyway, as for themes- I like to see them based around looks. Such as a certain colour or terrian. Not based around in-game abilities. Thats basically power-gaming. Themes should be purely visual/fluff oriented.
    The armies already have their own in-game themes- such as all cavalry, or gun lines etc.
    I want a ton of Phoenix Guard because the figures are gorgeous and I like the idea of them. They would be the worst troops in the game, for all I care - I'm still basing my army around them. My entire army will likely be themed around the protective force of the shrine of Asuryan. I'm thinking the blue flame paint scheme army-wide, and possibly even converting dragon princes and whatnot to match my theme.

EDIT: Dragons are for wussies.
    Last edited by Cyric the Mad; September 11th, 2007 at 05:50.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would want a whole army of White Lions and i would base the bases in a spring style, The unit just seems more springy to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

139 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Spector View Post
    Expect to see many Caledor themed armies early on, as Dragons are going to be immensly popular and 4 will be availiable to be taken at 2000 points. I'm sort of saddened by this. A Caledor themed army drew me to HE originally, and now it seems all the power gamers will be over here running 4 dragon lists, because well, you can have 4 dragons.
    I'm almost 100% sure that can't happen..

hero/mage comes on griffon strength dragon but takes 2 hero slots. He uses fire magic.

Normal commanders won't have dragons. Princes will take a lord and a hero choice if they have a dragon. So 2 will be possible in 2k.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast