Magic in the game - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rav
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Magic in the game

what would you use if you were making an army with: Light, Medium or Heavy Magic?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    125 (x4)

depends on how big a game
    could you post some suggestions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

Also depends on how much magic you want to use. Lists can work on any level of magic (with some exceptions, like undead without magic isn't a very wise choice). Just figure out what you want to do and plan accordingly.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Normally, for an average battle, i like my elves to go with medium magic. I usually take 2 level two's in 2k games. Elf magic can be devastating with our honors (although i hear they're getting nerfed).
    What I use as a deciding factor is what type of foe i'm fighting. Lizardmen, you can't "out magic", so you need to set up a good defense without wasting points on worthless casters.
    Armies that aren't magic heavy, like Brettonians, are nice because you have the choice of meeting them without much magic- on their terms. Or you can take a more magic heavy list and blast away with impunity.
    Fortunately, our elf magic is very flexible, letting us pick what kind of defense/offense charactaristics we want.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 (x6)

My rule of thumb is to either:
    A - Take a 'bare miniumum' magic defense. This usually means a single level 1 with 2 dispel scrolls. (Or any other type of item/ability that improves magic defence).
    This is usally applies to agressive/attacking armies, which need CC characters to be effective. Meaning no room for an effective amount of magic. So, you just take a bit of defense so that you arent totally screwed if your opponent has magic.

B - Take A LOT of magic (9+ power dice at 2000pts should be your target). Level 4 backed up by 2 level 2's is good. This usually means you are stuck playing defensively, as wizards take up a lot of points & are easily killed in combat.
    You can play on the attack with magic heavy armies, but you really dont want to keep the wizards in units which well get into CC. So putting them on fast mounts is almost mandatory (flying mounts for Lord wizards are best). Meaning you probably want the rest of the army to also be very fast, as your magic wont leave you with a lot of points to spend on disposable CC units.

I find that taking a 'medium' amount of magic (say, two level 2's at 2000pts) is a waste. It costs you atleast 350+ points and all you are getting for it is around 1 spell successfully cast per turn. I believe the points are better spent on CC characters or extra numbers.

Cheers
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

As I have said before I haven't had a lot of luck with magic in the past and I have a couple of similar questions;

1 level 4 or 2 level 2s what is the best value for magic?

costwise, I think the level 2s are 5pts more but more flexible.

The other question is 9+ power dice really that effective Manu, L4 and 2 L2s plus base of 2. You will still only be attempting 1 spell for each of your L2 mages and maybe 2 for your L4 at the points (about 505 +200 or so for equipment) I can't see this breaking a game open. I know that it used to be very good your L4 would cast all his big spells while being fed dice by the other mages but does it still work as well with the rule changes?

I just had a thought, a council of mages house rule. Static mages in their own unit can pool their dice and use them on any of their spells. All the usual rules for line of sight apply, maybe they count as skirmishers or something. Only really useful in big games though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 (x6)

Well a level 4 + 2 level 2's would actually be 10PD, plus an item to boost it to 11, then 1-2 Powerstones & maybe a bound spell to back it up. '9+' was sort've just stating a minimun that should be aimed for if wanting to use agressive magic.

As for Level 4 vs 2 level 2's - it depends on what other characters you want in the list.
    If the level 2's have the right items, they can be better than a level 4. If not, I find they struggle to cast the big number 5 & 6 spells, which are the game breakers. They usually need a powerstone or something to pull it off without being dispelled. Thats IF they can get the big spell in the first place (only a 1/3 chance.. 2 spells out of 6). High Elves are little better in that regard, in that they can take 'Seer'- which is excellent. but it doesnt leave them with a lot of room for other items.
    Something like:
    Level 2
    -Seer, Chaneller, Silver wand
    Level 2
    -Seer, Jewel of Dusk (or power stone)

I'd have to say a level 4 is better, mostly becuase they have enough magic item allowance to be given a ward save, and also a flying mount or similar- which makes them much more survivable than 'sitting duck' level 2's. However I do find them to be a huge waste of points unless they are supported by atleast 1 level 2.

Cheers

Cheers
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

HE have it quite nice as they can take a couple of level 2 mages and still have a good offensive setup.

Take both the rings and give one of your mages the extra PD item. That makes for 7 PD and 2 bound spells. Then you can take the banner of sorcery on one of your units to have between 8 and 10 PD and two bound spells. The channeler honour gets round the fact that a mage can only use 3 PD per spell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

I tend to play my high elves aggressively which works well for me. So I've always been playing with 2 level 2's and both bound items. With the jewel of the dusk gives me 7 PD and 2 bound spells. That is usually plenty and I still have a prince and a commander to help on the offense.

Ballance is the best way I think. Even with 10+ PD you are not always going to make your magic work. A khorne player or dwarves with an anvil and you are toast. Or just a turn one miscast ending the magic phase. Then you don't have much options if you invested soo many points in magic.

Lately I have upped my magic a tiny bit by giving my prince the radiant gem of Hoeth but more so to make him tougher in combat then for more magic. Now when I get his spell of he has 7 STR 7 attacks and T4. If they dispel it I have a more potent magic phase. 6-8 PD plus 1 or 2 bound is plenty IMHO and you don't tie yourself down if you magic fails you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

125 (x4)

i think a lvl 4 with 2 power stones, a dispel scroll and staff of sorcery, backed up by 3 lvl 2 mages is a very good comination of aggresive and defensive magic
    lets say you give one of your lvl 2s the ring of fury and jewel of the dusk, a second lvl 2 a dispel scroll and seer while the last you give channeller and 2 power stones
    then you can use the power stones when your enemy least expext it, and dispel the spells you absolutely wont let through (better than seeing your troops smashed by gorks warpath after have rolled a double 1 on four dispel dice)

for myself, i really love magic and near always include a lvl.2 mage per 500 points and a lvl 4 for per 1000 points

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast