Magic Abuse - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magic Abuse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Magic Abuse

Would any one count using and Archmage and three other lvl 2 Mages in a 2000 point game as broken, or unfair?? I don't have much experience with magic as used to using dwarfs, but I like the magic theme.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

Well, I've heard of Vampire Counts armies with a Master Necromancer and three level 2 Necromancers as the Lord/Hero choices. I think that was a 2000 point list as well.

That sounds pretty similar. I dare say it would be a headache for many opponents but I can't see any reason why you couldn't do it.

Just prepare yourself for cries of 'Cheese' and 'Beardy', I guess...
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

full magic

there's always a chunk of the population who will take issue with something or other... using four mages in a game where they are legal choices for L/h is completely fine and no sensible person would have a problem with it knowing that in taking four mages you give up a warrior lord, bsb and the like... its a risk versus reward system... youre counting on the winds of magic (oh, how i miss those silly cards) blowing in your favor... a risky strategy i would personally never undertake but that's one of the fun things about warhammer - ANYthing can work...

in terms of effectiveness a high elf full magic character choice is not a bad one... i'd personally throw high magic to at least one of your guys and some blasty/movey lores to the rest... after a decade of bringing greenskins to the table i hadn't delved into the lores of magic much but now that my empire army is painted up and on the table i've been goofiing around with them... i've found fire or beasts to be quite deadly... fire hurts things and there are no bad spells in beasts... try 'em all though, see what works for you...

dwarfs and high elfs eh? yeah, its always neat to go from one extreme to another... no magic to heavy magic... always good to have two disparate armies on the shelf for the times when you want a change...

game well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As long as you make sure you have some good strong combat units to make up for the lack of a strong combat charachter I expect it'll work, and if you have good luck on your castings it'll probably be a whitewash, also you opp will have very little chance of casting anything with the dispell pool you'll have on that.
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam / I'll either find a way or make one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sam51 View Post
    Would any one count using and Archmage and three other lvl 2 Mages in a 2000 point game as broken, or unfair?? I don't have much experience with magic as used to using dwarfs, but I like the magic theme.
    I don't think it would it broken, because there is the potential of the magic hurting you and as Nachtjager say you don't have any good combat characters.

I do think a lot of players wouldn't like it, because it could be compared to a shooty army.

I have played against the Vamp army (as a Dwarf player) that Brett mentions and it was not much fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

I think maybe I shall keep the extra mages on a back shelf for rainy days then. I really like the idea but I don't want opponents not enjoy the game. I don't mind the lack of close combat potential and I quite like the idea that it would be small. I am just a sucker for extreems.

About the lores I had planned to give the Arch mage, high magic and pop him on a great eagle (logical reaon mobility, real reason as I think it would look cool), then use a foot fire lore mage, and a mounted lore of death mage, then add the mage I own already as a heavens mage.

As for troops adding to the spearmen, archer and bolt thrower i have, i was going to use swordmasters another bolt thrower and a couple of great eagles.

The army is based on my likes and its flavour as opposed to rules. Also it takes me months to paint a regiment so the low model count suits me.

If this list is too boring though as Hightide said shooting and ranged armies seemed to be disliked, I shall just model it and then change it.

How many mages do people think is more acceptable in friendly games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've often played with 2 level 2 mages with the old book and it was pretty good. They can still get quite a few power dice to play with using banner of sorcery and whatnot.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

I have always liked the idea of going mage heavy when you are playing a defensive list. Our only ranged ability comes from our RBTs (our bows are just terrible). So if you put mages in there, you can start lobbing spells.
    In the new book, if you want to take a lord choice, ALWAYS take the archmage, princes aren't worth their points. Elf 'Combat Lords' have always been too expensive for their capability. The mage is dangerous, back him with either a level 2 or two level 1s. That would give you enough magic to give the average player a run for his money. If you want to upgun your magic, there is always the Banner of Sorcery, and some Noble-level Bound items (Ring of Fury is my favorite).

Just remember, if your mage is on horseback, he doesn't benefit from "Look Out Sir!" rolls in infantry blocks. You don't want to stick him in with the cavalry though, because he'll die during combat. I'd just put him on foot, in a regiment that won't see much frontline action.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

I never thought about the horseback thing that is definitely a good point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    Just remember, if your mage is on horseback, he doesn't benefit from "Look Out Sir!" rolls in infantry blocks. You don't want to stick him in with the cavalry though, because he'll die during combat. I'd just put him on foot, in a regiment that won't see much frontline action.
    I've just looked it up in the rulebook and unless I've missed something really obvious then he does get Look Our Sir! if mounted. It makes no mention of characters which are a different unit strength to the rank and file models not getting Look Out Sir!, it just says that a character with US 5 can't benefit. If the mage is only on a horse (much smaller than US5) he should still get the benefit of the rule.
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast