High Elf Pointers :) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

High Elf Pointers :)

Hey Guys, how are ya? hope all is good and that you all had a decent New Year

Im just after a few pointers as to how to develop my HE army into something to be proud of.

Being new to Fantasy i am after a few HE techniques that will help me through a game along side a few painting pointers too;

So, with the current units i have at the mo, what are good tactics and procedures that will be useful in keeping me in the fight? i have the following:

1 mounted Noble, nothing special other than his Sword of Might.

2 HE Spearmen regiments, both with full command and unit strength of 15.

1 HE regiment of Archers, 16 strong, Hawkeye and Musician.

1 Bolt Thrower.

8 Silverhelms with full command.

Im keeping it rather simple to start with so that i can learn the basics quicker but the above is an estimate of 1000pts, give or take.

For a 1500pts force, im looking into adding a 2nd level Mage with 1 or 2 basic magic items, a Great Eagle to learn about flying units, and a handful of Shadow Warriors to learn about Skirmishers and Scouts and then i'll thicken my Spearmen ranks up to about 20+ if i have the points.

So whats your advice/pointers for my 1k army 1st seeing as thats what i have at the moment.

Painting-wise, i'm thinking of going for white robes with a green 'accent' colour, and was wondering how you guys paint white robes quickly and efficiently

I will add more Q's to this as i come across them

Thanks for any help

Shaabhekh :happy:

In the name of the Emperor and for the Glory of the Imperium... Gimme Back My Girlfriend! :(

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaabhekh View Post
    Hey Guys, how are ya? hope all is good and that you all had a decent New Year

Im just after a few pointers as to how to develop my HE army into something to be proud of.

Being new to Fantasy i am after a few HE techniques that will help me through a game along side a few painting pointers too;

So, with the current units i have at the mo, what are good tactics and procedures that will be useful in keeping me in the fight? i have the following:

1 Bolt Thrower.

Im keeping it rather simple to start with so that i can learn the basics quicker but the above is an estimate of 1000pts, give or take.

For a 1500pts force, im looking into adding a 2nd level Mage with 1 or 2 basic magic items, a Great Eagle to learn about flying units, and a handful of Shadow Warriors to learn about Skirmishers and Scouts and then i'll thicken my Spearmen ranks up to about 20+ if i have the points.

So whats your advice/pointers for my 1k army 1st seeing as thats what i have at the moment.
    It looks alright, will be tough to play with though, personally the Silverhelm and archer units are both too big, GW's fault not yours. You need ranks of 5 now so I don't get why they sell them in boxes of 8 and 16 still. Personally I would take the Helms as a unit of 5 or 6 and 1 unit of 12 archers, switch the spearmen for seagaurd and watch how effective (with a little luck massed shooting can be. Possibly also give the noble a reaverbow as well.

I tried a 2000 pt massed shooting list against a dwarf gunline(ish) and came out on top I had a bit of magic as well though, unfortunately you will probably need some magic defense as well. Also better too buy a halberd or a Great Weapon than a sword of might in my opionion, but that is personal preference.

Painting-wise, i'm thinking of going for white robes with a green 'accent' colour, and was wondering how you guys paint white robes quickly and efficiently
    Depends on the standard you want but Black base, fortress grey then skull white works reasonably well, You can blend and layer it depending on your painting ability but I leave the grey in the folds and then use the watered down white as I come out, making it progressively lighter as it comes out. (I think that there was an article about painting cloaks a while back, I use the same theory but with Fortress Grey and White.)

I will add more Q's to this as i come across them

Thanks for any help

Welcome to Ulthuan and good luck.

Hope some of that helped

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

1 Bolt Thrower.

I would suggest 2 things for your list. The first one is in regards to your archers, the unit is too big to be effective. I would reduce it to 10 and drop the Hawkeye. The second one is in regards to your Cavalry, it is also too big. I suggest replacing them with 5 Dragon Princes with a Musician. You then have 124 points leftover from both the archers and cavalry to spend on other things, such as another RBT, or if you can find 6 points to spare somewhere you can get a Great Eagle and a unit of Shadow Warriors.

Or if you wanted to experiment with the magic phase, you could get a level 2 mage with a Jewel of the Dusk or Dispel Scroll.

If you are trying to stick with what you have at the moment for models, going with the mage suggestion would be good, this way the only extra model you need to buy is the mage since you can convert your Silverhelms into Dragon Princes.

As for when you increase your points, I would suggest getting some more heavy hitters. Either some elite infantry or more Dragon Princes. If you get another 5 Dragon Princes, this still leaves you room to get another RBT or some elite infantry.
    "I am the architect of fate!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks good but I would take the above advice of mowing down the archers and silver helms. I would also get rid of one unit of spears and replace it with either 10 white lions or swordsmasters. Mabye phoenix guard.
    . "Stop complaining ponce and hit stuff with yer shiny new axe"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

172 (x7)

Yeah, I wanted to suggest that too, but I think Shaabhekh is trying to stick with what he has to learn the basics for the most part.

If not Shaabhekh, I also suggest dropping a unit of spears for 10 white lions, Pheonix Guard don't do as well with such small numbers, and I am beginning to prefer the lions over swordmasters myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies guys but i am at the moment only using what i have got, i will eventually (i hope) go on to include the other elites etc based on what i feel like and theme etc ;Y

But tell me, whats up with the Calvary being too big? i thought you needed a hard hitting charge?

Same goes for Archers, why dwindle good fire power? i see i have lots to learn if its not all about numbers and hitting power/firepower :ballon:

However i will take this into consideration, especially reducing my knights and archers to afford the mage and Eagle/S-Warriors

But whilst i learn how to get the game underway i shall keep it simple

One more thing... Blonde Hair! how do you go about painting that? so that its not jst a yellow blob on a models head?
    In the name of the Emperor and for the Glory of the Imperium... Gimme Back My Girlfriend! :(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

172 (x7)

Cavalry is expensive, especially just to get +1 combat res. As you are set up now you wont even get the extra rank, the main issue is that you can only attack with the front rank, so you either waste the attacks of 2 or 3, or you have a cavalry unit that is 8 wide and far to unwieldy to use. That and you don't need huge heavy cavalry units, they are meant to charge stuff that is already getting attacked, or to charge stuff that you KNOW will break.

The same thing goes for your archers, you can only fire from your front rank (unless on a hill). Since 10 is the minimum size then thats what you want, since stretching a line of 16 out would be kind of ridiculous.

So for the cavalry you can get your 8 silverhelms where you get 6 attacks and waste points on 3 silverhelms. Or you could save the points and get 5 dragon princes that get 11 attacks at a better weapon skill.

I would consider going with my mage suggestion. Its just one more model to buy, and it pays off to get familiar with magic when playing High Elves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Demandred got the reasons spot on.
    Cavalry can only fight with the front rank, and frontages of more than about 6 aren't really practical. If you want more than that then you should get a full second rank and since cavalry models are expensive then you're paying a lot of points just for +1 to your combat resolution. If you want the combat res, a Warbanner is a good option, providing you're not already using it elsewhere.

Similarly because archers can only fire with their front rank in most cases you don't want a unit to have lots of ranks because the extra models can't shoot most of the time, so the best way is to go with minimum sized units and string them out in one line. If you think you will have plenty of hills to put them on you could have a bigger unit in two ranks.

When I paint blonde hair I start with a coat of snakebite leather then gradually mix lighter shades (like bleached bone) into the paint as I paint more layers. With each new layer, leave the darker shades in the recesses. It works out quite well.
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

160 (x7)

[QUOTE=Shaabhekh;1071397]

1 mounted Noble, nothing special other than his Sword of Might.add heavy armor, shield, barded mount and the helm of fortune with your sword of might and then you have a re-rollable armorsave of 1 (really good)

1 Bolt Thrower.

Painting-wise, i'm thinking of going for white robes with a green 'accent' colour, and was wondering how you guys paint white robes quickly and efficiently black base is always good - maybe dry brush cloth areas with grey, so that when you put your green-white down, it stands out better. The rest is mixing your green with grey/white and lightening up the shade each time. You can do as little as 2 colors or as many as 5 different shades depending on how detailed you want them to be.

QUOTE]

I like the great eagle or the shadow warriors, I think in the smaller games they probably play the same roll, they march block and harass enemy war machines. The spearmen should be bulked up a bit (maybe steal some of your archers and make them the command portion of your spearmen) I don't think you'll need that many archers. I think I would prefer 2 RBTs instead of the eagle or shadow warriors (chose one not both) in small games. Silver helms can be used in units of about 6 as the largest, sometimes 7 (but they get unwieldy) with a character, but I think your character could stay in the back and provide kills for the spearmen. A warbanner on a unit of spearmen might also help. A little magic won't hurt at 1500pts. I also think that building one of the more elite units is important as you get bigger (ie. Dragon Princes, Swordmasters, Whitelions) go for one of those 3 at first, because as opposed to the spearmen and archers, they are a bit more killy, or dangerous in combat.

+ Reply to Thread