Defensive/Spearmen army? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defensive/Spearmen army?

I want a 2k defensive army and was thinking of having about 4 units of spearmen,some archers & 1 special foot troop. Also 4 RBT and offensive magic, to bombard the enemy as they approach. would it work? Does anyone use or had experiance playing a mainly "core choice" high elf army?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes i have used a defensive army list on several occasions, but you won't be able to afford all you want for 2000pts, Its a dificult type of Army for HE to play, my old defensive list went some thing like this
    Archmage LvL4 ring of fury, seerstaff dispel scroll 350pts
    Mage LvL2 jewel of dusk dispel scroll 170pts
    Noble, BsB, Armour of calledor, great wepon 143
    10 archers
    10 archers
    19 spearelves full command
    19 spearelves full command
    14 elite infantry full command (whichever type you prefer, I used WL) + banner of sorcery
    5 shaddow warriors
    1 great eagle
    3 repeater bolt throwers
    This gives you a reasonable magical attack plenty of fire power with enough troops to march block and some tough troops for when the enemy gets to your lines. It is very difficult to play though rewarding when you can make it work and it had four units of core troops. The key to fighting this type of list is you must slow the enemy to a crawl for your magical and fire power to work and you must concentrate your fire both magical and mundane. Hope this is of some help in developing your own version of a core based defensive list, good luck!
    Last edited by aenar; January 26th, 2008 at 18:24.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my experience A Core army (unless we are talking about the olden days with all cav armies when silver helms were oop...) it just doesn't usually turn out to well, usually you take quite a lot of casualties and you don't score many victory points due to only S3, and at HE T3... Well lets just say there are going to be problems... Aenar, your suggestion for a core list is one of the better I have seen, however I think it is better off going with special units, lets not forget that we HE players are supposed to have ELITE armies, so in my opinion leave most of these "citizen levy" at home (take only enough for your requirements) and start finding the delicate balance of HE special and rare unit choices to crush your enemies... Glory to Ulthuan! For we are the Asur...

Regards,
    -Vanquisher_Dud-
    -1st Army-High Elves 81/11/9
    -Second Army-Lizardmen 6/0/0

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

I haven't played with the new HE but I've read the book and I think spears are right up their with the best of them now. I think an army with 3-4 blocks could do well. A complete footslogger army might be a bit tough due to the HE frail nature and you may have tendency to get shot. The HE have some great speed in the form of great eagles, reavers and chariots, I think it's important to make use of these in some form.

4 rbt is tempting/shiny but I don't think you should overlook eagles just yet. Even if you sac one rbt for a couple of eagles I think you will see the benefits.

I don't think it's out of the question and it would be unique so hats off there but I don't think you should overlook one of your army's strengths too much, other people will be making the most of theirs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=Stonehambey

4 rbt is tempting/shiny but I don't think you should overlook eagles just yet. Even if you sac one rbt for a couple of eagles I think you will see the benefits.

[/quote]

I am sorry to inform you Stonehambey, but our wonderful, 2 for 1 rare slot eagle option has been taken away = ( So I am afraid he would need to take off 2 RBT's if he wants a pair of eagles, although you I would still HIGHLY suggest it!

Regards,
    -Vanquisher_Dud-

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Ah yes of course, got mixed up for a minute there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awww, its ok, we all do that from time to time ^^ Tis a shame though that they took away our choices like that = ( Unfortunately the same goes for Bolt throwers and our chariots = ( But it is nice that they increase our rare and special choices beyond the last book ^^

Regards,

-Vanquisher_Dud-

Master of the Crab Women swntzu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    97 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquisher_Dud View Post
    Awww, its ok, we all do that from time to time ^^ Tis a shame though that they took away our choices like that = ( Unfortunately the same goes for Bolt throwers and our chariots = ( But it is nice that they increase our rare and special choices beyond the last book ^^

Regards,

Effectively 2 for 1 is still there (4 rare slots) with added bonus of being able to take 3 of something and one of the other.
    Watch this before posting:
    Posting and You

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are correct sah, however it is not technically 2 for 1, there are differences... But it doesn't hamper me all that much so I am satisfied ^^ Although I wish 2 for 1 Tchariot was still in effect = (

Regards,

-Vanquisher_Dud-

Master of the Crab Women swntzu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    97 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquisher_Dud View Post
    You are correct sah, however it is not technically 2 for 1, there are differences... But it doesn't hamper me all that much so I am satisfied ^^ Although I wish 2 for 1 Tchariot was still in effect = (

Regards,

I agree with you on the chariot front. Although it might seem like 6 special slots is a lot, once you take a scout, fast cav, heavy cav and your two elite infantry choices, there's only one spare!!!
    Watch this before posting:
    Posting and You

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast