Dark elves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dark elves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dark elves

Hi guys i have never played against a DE army and i am not sure on how they work, what their killer units are, what to look out for and so in short how to beat them.

I would appreciate any feed back (including must have units etc), thanks. :happy:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    125 (x4)

Hi

This really depends on what kind of list your opponent uses. HE are an alround better army than DE at the moment because of SOA. The DE lost their CC superiority and we can easily out magic them.

So if your opponent brings a CC list you should be able to beat him quite easily (my experience) and if he brings a shooty list, use WL and PG. (I always use them against DE unless I know he uses CC units)

Watch out for their fast cav though, as they are really annoying with RxBs. Also watch out for hydras.
    You will have to make sure he doesn't out manoeuvre you, hitting you in the rear or flank with Cok.

Good luck
    Last edited by Rising Leviathan; January 28th, 2008 at 16:04.
    5000p. High Elves
    1000p. Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for that, i was also wondering on the best way with which to deal with hydra'a?. I hear they are quite potent and this guy tends to run 2 of them side by side down the flank.;?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the moment we have a distinct advantage over the Dark Elves mainly down to the fact that we have a lovely new book and theirs is one of the oldest.

Really we have the potential to be better than them in each of the phases. They have all of our negatives, (unified Toughness 3) and none of our advantages.
    We can definitely out magic them, yes they have the +1 to casting but if your getting off Drain Magic a lot they will still be at -2 and now because of our ASF rule we can take them head on in the CC phase and most of the time come out on top of that. Strength 6 ASF against regular Toughness 3....yes please. Even if we get in to a bogged down stand off with a block or our regular Spear Elves against theirs we are always going to be hitting them 1st.
    I suppose the only phase where we are more or less equal is the shooting phase with the Repeater Catapults and their equally deadly RBT but with a couple of large units of Phoenix Guards and small flanking units of White Lions you can nicely negate them.

Like someone else mentioned the only thing that really sends a shiver down my spine still in the DE list is their Hydras and their core Dark Riders. One of my friends usually packs out on Dark Riders and runs with 2 Hydras so I have got used to facing his list and always go with at least 3 RBT occasionally 4. Dark Riders, (which I have to admit through gritted teeth are probably one if not the best fast unit in the game) can be taken out equally with RBT.

The lists I usually take against DE usually involves a Archmage and Mage fully tooled up. A BSB.
    A Large unit of Spear Elves and a large unit of Phoenix Guards. I support these with a small flanking Dragon Prince Unit and either a small unit of White Lions or Swordmasters depending on my mood. And back this up with a small Archer Unit and 3/4 RBT. And if I can squeeze them in a unit of Shadow Warriors.

Hope that this helps you and good luck defeating our Dark Brothers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the only way to deal with hydra's by way of shooting?. Also i was thinking in taking 2 mages as well. With one taking lore of beasts in order to control their dark riders and hydra's as much as possible.

Or would it be better to take more destructive lore's? :rofl

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    125 (x4)

I think lore of beast is great against DE on the paper though I have never used it.
    The hydra is a problem. RBTs, WL or SM I think is the best way to go as magic is unreliable.
    As with the lores to use I would take destructive lores indeed though I would have at least one caster with high magic.

Good luck
    5000p. High Elves
    1000p. Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

Its all about lore of life and high magic in my opinion. Life has spells to slow movement, take out warmachine crews, protect against the repeater crossbows. High magic has drain magic, a wardsave spell, and flames of the phoenix REALLY puts the hurt on toughness 3 dark elves.
    "I am the architect of fate!"

Master of the Crab Women swntzu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    97 (x3)

I agree with the ideas about the hydras. I would go with RBTs and get curse of arrow attraction.

Drain magic should help nullify the dark magic so I think High Magic is quite a nice lore for one of your mages to have in this case.
    Watch this before posting:
    Posting and You

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1st of all, for godsake stop calling cold one kights cok! I know it's imature but it has me luaghing so much I hit my head on the floor. And secondly spears can deal with cold one kights on thier own so I would find them worth while as thier only *pts each.
    . "Stop complaining ponce and hit stuff with yer shiny new axe"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

I disagree, fear and a 2+ save tend to make it hard for even a big brick of spearmen to put much of a dent in a unit of cold one knights.
    "I am the architect of fate!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast