Protection for dragon mage - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Protection for dragon mage

What may Iask do you gentlemen give your Dragon mages for protection. They look very soft on paper.I'm a new HE player so I need some veteran help on this one. Thanks in advance

3K Highest Elves
    2K RavenWing
    2K Saim-Hann Eldar
    3K Tau
    4K Pts Freaky Fast ORCS
    5K Hive Fleet Devourer
    2.5K Bretonnian Knights
    3K Tomb Kings

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

Lots of people just give them the silver wand + Ring of Fury and make sure to be careful with them. Like using terrain and whatnot to keep them safe from missile units.

You could also just run one with the silver wand and the guardian pheonix, to give him a ward save and make the most of his reckless dice.
    "I am the architect of fate!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

I think Wardsaves are important! It is kindda hard both hidding him and using his magic potential at the same time (seeing he always have the Fire Lore). I think it is a fairly unexplored question really, so if you come up with some great protective combo then post it here!
    -lurking in the shadows of LO.

Officially diagnosed by Tekore
    Melkhior, Necrarch Lord

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are very soft in reallity as well as on paper, the times I've used the Dragon mage he has always been among the first to die. When even archers can kill him he is hard to protect. I can defenetly recommend the guardian phoenix. But carefull with using a dragon against shooty armies, 2 spear chukkas (35pts. each.) killed my dragon off before it made much good damage (I also did make a costly mistake in the game which held it back from giving much damage).

Master of the Crab Women swntzu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    97 (x3)

I've seen experienced people run them either with ring of fury and silver wand or guardian phoenix and silver wand.

T3 with no armour save is very risky but if you have some terrain to hide in it should even things out.
    Watch this before posting:
    Posting and You

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

What do you mean no armour? He effectively has a 3+ unmodified save. Every time someone shoots him, they randomize between him and the dragon and only hit him on a 5+. Yes, he can still die easily and a few rounds of arrows will kill him, but that protection shouldn't be overlooked IMO.

I think ring of fury and silver wand is the best combo for him, you are buying him for his offensive power might as well spend all points on offensive stuff. With 20" movement it isn't too hard to get him out of line of site of most enemy shooting and onto flanks second turn where opponent units are facing the wrong way to see him. Treat him carefully and he can inflict a lot of damage.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by 002dk View Post
    They are very soft in reallity as well as on paper, the times I've used the Dragon mage he has always been among the first to die. When even archers can kill him he is hard to protect. I can defenetly recommend the guardian phoenix. But carefull with using a dragon against shooty armies, 2 spear chukkas (35pts. each.) killed my dragon off before it made much good damage (I also did make a costly mistake in the game which held it back from giving much damage).
    Hehe... I did that to him

Anyway I just wanted to say; When using the dragon be very careful. It is a large amount of points in smaller armies, but in a 3k army it should work okay. in small gmes its an 'all eggs in one basket' thing (a very soft basket!) and I think most verteran foes can deal with the dragonmage even if you try to hide it behind a forrest (its a big model you know!)...

CEBWJ is in favour of Ward Saves and other protective things!
    -lurking in the shadows of LO.

Officially diagnosed by Tekore
    Melkhior, Necrarch Lord

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

97 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by strewart View Post
    What do you mean no armour? He effectively has a 3+ unmodified save. Every time someone shoots him, they randomize between him and the dragon and only hit him on a 5+. Yes, he can still die easily and a few rounds of arrows will kill him, but that protection shouldn't be overlooked IMO.

I think ring of fury and silver wand is the best combo for him, you are buying him for his offensive power might as well spend all points on offensive stuff. With 20" movement it isn't too hard to get him out of line of site of most enemy shooting and onto flanks second turn where opponent units are facing the wrong way to see him. Treat him carefully and he can inflict a lot of damage.

You're right of course. I overlooked that. In combat he isn't so lucky though...
    Posting and You

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bow to your wisdom oh great Elven Lords. Would i't make since to not sacrifice any extra wargear on him except the Guardian Phoenix. Or maybe make him a second level for sure.
    Last edited by Warmaster; January 31st, 2008 at 13:20.
    3K Highest Elves
    2K RavenWing
    2K Saim-Hann Eldar
    3K Tau
    4K Pts Freaky Fast ORCS
    5K Hive Fleet Devourer
    2.5K Bretonnian Knights
    3K Tomb Kings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

97 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Warmaster View Post
    I bow to your wisdom oh great Elven Lords. Would i't make since to not sacrifice any extra wargear on him except the Guardian Phoenix. Or maybe make him a second level for sure.
    I'm not sure what you mean here but conventional wisdom seems to be that that the second level is more or less essential. The extra spell gained also means that you can cast it with 2 dice for the price of one with reckless.

Can you clarify what you mean by sacrificing wargear?
    Posting and You

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast