Magic Items in DP - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Magic Items in DP

Does anyone know what magic items to give their Drakemasters, because at 25 points only I think I would just pass on it all together, unless someone has a good combination of items out there.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

~Personally, I believe that the Amulet of Fire or the Amulet of Light are worthwhile.

~~Amulet of Fire: Sure, they already are immune to fire, but it's giving the entire unit a Magic Resistance (1) for just 20 points.

~~Amulet of Light: Death to all trees, ghosts, and daemons! Useless against many armies that don't care if you have a magic weapon or not, but any ethereal will be quite sore after a charge of magical lances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the same reason I don't take Banner of Protection on Dragon Princes, I wouldn't take Amulet of Fire either. Typically speaking, in most lists you are going to have at least 2 units of Dragon Princes and at least 1 other big threat unit. Items which grant MR are really only good for a one shot surprise. After the first spell cast at them, unless it's a dire emergency (in which case, the opponent will probably lose anyway), good opponents will simply aim their spells at your other threat units. Unless you can manage to fit in Amulet of Fire, Banner of Arcance Protection, AND Loremaster's Cloak into your army list, AND you only have three targets worth protecting, it's highly likely you'll end up inadvertantly directing all of your opponents fire-power at one unit, and probably killing it... which is what you don't want to happen if you only have three real threat units. Better that the opponent spread things around, maybe only do a little damage to each unit.

Back to the OP's question though, it really depends on what you're using the army for. An all-comer's list will be much different than if you are gearing up to play a specific army. Amulet of Light is excellent if you are going to play against VC, WE, or Daemons, but is useless against most other armies. Skeinsliver is pretty good regardless of who you're up against. Foe Bane is really really good against OK or BoC's monster-oriented lists, but no other army has more than one or two units they could take at the same time where it would really shine. Dragonhorn is good against TK, VC, Daemons, and anybody else who has a ton of fear-causers so that you don't accidentally miss one of your co-ordinated charges on that all important fear-check. Gem of Courage may be worthwhile if you aren't using a BSB and you don't have a LD 10 Lord to help out on leadership tests.

Other than that, I don't think any of the other items are all that good for a Drakemaster to take, except for the two that you can't take (Sacred Incense b/c it's over 25 pts, and Dispel Scroll b/c it's arcane). None of the magic weapons (except maybe Foe Bane) or magic armor are worth taking on a Drakemaster, they already have a 2+ save and 2 attacks with their lances.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    125 (x4)

Skeinsliver, gem og courage or amulet of fire is what I use, as all three of them are useful for every game I play.

Regards,
    5000p. High Elves
    1000p. Eldar

Master of the Crab Women swntzu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    97 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by herman1004 View Post
    Skeinsliver, gem og courage or amulet of fire is what I use, as all three of them are useful for every game I play.

Regards,
    All good ones. Dragon horn could be useful too.
    Watch this before posting:
    Posting and You

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Practicly all of our 25 points and less items are good pics.
    Yes the AoC will best be used elswhere, but as said the amulets, the dragonhorn, gem, skeinsilver, they are all good choices in their own right.

We HE are just spoiled with nice shiny champion items:ballon:
    "Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and terrifying to know"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skeinsilver! Getting the first turn is crucial to me with my speed lists (which is what I usually play) So I get a low number of units as well as my skeinsilver and I get a +2 to my role, almost assuring my choice of first turn (which I would never deny ^^) So I always take the skeinsilver not always with the DP's but its 80% of the time in my lists somewhere, great item ^^

Regards,

VD*
    -Vanquisher_Dud-
    -1st Army-High Elves 81/11/9
    -Second Army-Lizardmen 6/0/0

+ Reply to Thread