Trouble with Noble - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trouble with Noble

I thought I'd start a High Elven army and I'm aiming for 1500 points. The troubles started immedietly when I tried to figure out a good equipment for my general. I thought about something like this:
    Noble w/
    Dragon Armour
    Enchanted Shield
    Helm of Fortune
    Great weapon

The idea is to hide him in a unit of Spearmen. My force is balanced, having a bit of everything since I'm not very familiar with the game yet, so I'd like to hear some ideas.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am sure you can't have a Magic Shield + Magic Armour (Helm).

For a good combo on foot try
    Noble (BS
    Armour of Calador
    Guardian Pheonix
    Great Weapon
    runs @ 168 pts.

2+ Armour save, 5+ Ward save and 3 strength 6 attacks always striking first. Plus the BSB gives plus 1 combat res and a reroll for break checks.
    "Here dead lie we because we did not choose to live and shame the land from which we sprung. Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose; but young men think it is, and we were young."
    A. E. Housman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aw bugger, didn't know that. But if I make my Noble a battle standard bearer, he can't be the general, which in this case I'm looking for

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Clearasil View Post
    Aw bugger, didn't know that. But if I make my Noble a battle standard bearer, he can't be the general, which in this case I'm looking for
    Yeah, it's on page 121 of the rulebook. You can't have more than one item from any of the magic item categories on one model, unfortunately. Even though you're looking for a setup for your general here, I would definitely still consider using that BSB. He can come in really useful and be quite dangerous because HE BSBs have no equipment restrictions like other armies do. You could even have him slightly cheaper without the ward save and still be very effective. I suppose it depends on how much magic you want to take, as the character slots fill up quickly.

For the general, I would consider mounting him on a barded steed. The unit wouldn't rank up very well due to the size of the cavalry base, but it's perfectly legal and would be a fairly cheap way of giving him +2 to his armour save. That way, with barded steed, dragon armour and shield you could get a 2+ save without using magic items, and you could get an even better save if you did use them. The main problem I see there would be that the great weapon gives a smaller strength bonus on a mounted character, and if you gave him a lance then you would have to ensure that his unit was charging all the time.

900th post...:C
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drop the BSB then and save the 25pts.

Or put him on a barded horse with Helm of Fortune and Sword of Might and Gem of Courage, for a 1+ rerollable save and 3 S5 attacks and 3 dice to roll any break test for 157 pts. Put him with either 13 or 18 (better) Spearmen.
    "Here dead lie we because we did not choose to live and shame the land from which we sprung. Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose; but young men think it is, and we were young."
    A. E. Housman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont think you can put mounted characters with foot troops.
    . "Stop complaining ponce and hit stuff with yer shiny new axe"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by pentathus View Post
    I dont think you can put mounted characters with foot troops.
    You can. There is no rule against it, and I don't think there was a rule against it in previous editions either. It has become more popular in 7th because you can no longer pick out a mounted character with missile fire unless they are US5+, whereas before you could choose to shoot at a mounted character within a unit. A mounted character in a foot unit can also get Look Out Sir! as long as he is less than US5.

The only problem is ranking up different sized bases, and some people might disagree as to what rank bonus the unit has due to the character taking up a slot in two (or more) ranks.
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Master of the Crab Women swntzu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    97 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
    The only problem is ranking up different sized bases, and some people might disagree as to what rank bonus the unit has due to the character taking up a slot in two (or more) ranks.
    There is a common sense solution to this that considers unit strength. He's unit strength 2 so he counts backwards (2 spaces) for rank bonus.

As for a noble, I would go either with the standard mounted noble or a foot noble with armour of caledor and great weapon.
    Watch this before posting:
    Posting and You

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well swntzu, cavalry doesn't get twice their ranks in rank bonus, fail to see why it would be the case here.

I was wondering if you're using any other characters in your army Clearasil, if you have a mage it could be worth getting a ring of fury for your commander. Works quite well if he's with a unit of archers or something.

But I guess you were after an infantry hero? Korhil is your man here. Even though he's abit more expensive than a commander, it's well worth it just to make your spearmen stubborn but he's also quite a solid fighter.

Another alternative (again, if you have mage) is to give a commander the radiant gem of Hoeth and take the beastlore and select Bear's anger as your spell. Granted it's not that reliable, but 6 attacks at strength 6 is quite good for a hero. As I said this won't help if your opponent doesn't already have other things to dispel, but if you do have another caster this makes more stuff get through if he does decide to dispel it.

Hope this helps

Master of the Crab Women swntzu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    97 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Danari View Post
    Well swntzu, cavalry doesn't get twice their ranks in rank bonus, I fail to see why it would be the case here.
    The difference here is the fact that cavalry are US 2 whereas infantry are US 1. Why wouldn't a mounted character provide 2 slots for the purposes of rank bonus? The shieldbearers and Thorgrimm are examples of this.

I was wondering if you're using any other characters in your army Clearasil, if you have a mage it could be worth getting a ring of fury for your commander. Works quite well if he's with a unit of archers or something.
    A 40pt bound spell in a low point game is hardly efficient.

But I guess you were after an infantry hero? Korhil is your man here. Even though he's abit more expensive than a commander, it's well worth it just to make your spearmen stubborn but he's also quite a solid fighter.
    Relying on special characters as a crutch for your army is indicative of bad army list construction.

Another alternative (again, if you have mage) is to give a commander the radiant gem of Hoeth and take the beastlore and select Bear's anger as your spell. Granted it's not that reliable, but 6 attacks at strength 6 is quite good for a hero. As I said this won't help if your opponent doesn't already have other things to dispel, but if you do have another caster this makes more stuff get through if he does decide to dispel it.
    This is another highly effective way of wasting points. Stick with the great weapon foot noble.
    Watch this before posting:
    Posting and You

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast