Just Starting Fantasy - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just Starting Fantasy

Hey Everyone,
    So i've been playing 40k for a few years and some friends and I were gonna get into fantasy. After looking at a few armies I think im gonna play high elves because they look cool and are the fast skilled warriors i've always liked in any game. I don't quite know the rules yet but I had some help from a GW employee making a rough 2000 point list to aim for and here it is:

Prince
    -star lance, dragon armor, shield, star dragon, temakador's gauntlets

Mage
    -Lvl 2 Wizard, dispel scroll

Mage
    -Lvl 2 Wizard, silver wand

20 Spearmen
    -Musician, Standard Bearer

20 Spearmen

10 Archers

20 Sword Masters of Hoeth
    -Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of Arcane Protection

10 Silverhelms
    -Musician, Standard Bearer, Shields

Total:1999

Anyways I really wanted an army with a dragon as my general so I want to definately keep that but maybe I'll downgrade from a stardragon to one of the lesser ones to save points. I'm also thinking of dropping the archers. Maybe adding in a repeating bolt thrower or two. Anyways if you experts could tell me what you think and any changes you might suggest to this army that would be great.

40k Record W-L-T
    Soul Reapers Necrons 8-14-2 Hive Fleet Behemoth Tyranids 21-7-1 Raven Guard Marines 12-6-5

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

I actually wouldn't start with a dragon in your army, especially a star dragon. They are a huge amount of points, and will pretty much be the centre of the battle. If your opponent can bring it down easily, you lose. If he can't, you win. Bring it out occasionally sure, but have most battles without. Up to you though.

I think your magic needs a bit of redefining. Do you want to go magic strong or magic light? You are sort of in between at the moment, pretty poor magic defence but also pretty poor offence. If you are taking a dragon I would go magic light, drop your second mage, reduce the first to a level 1 and give him an extra scroll. Just so you aren't seriously overloading on characters.

The archers aren't really worth it, pretty overpriced for what they bring. You have your two core choices filled, so ditch them for a bolt thrower. The bolt has a much greater range, higher strength and armour piercing. Its 6 shots a turn will do a lot more than the archers 10.

20 is a bad unit size for Swordmasters. They are there to kill, so you should take a champ for the extra attack and drop them down to either 12 (6x2), 14 (7x2) or 18 (6x3). 14 is probably best, 3 deaths to lose a rank and a whopping 15 attacks out of them.

Cavalry aren't really good most of the time in large units like that, they become expensive and unweildy. With the points saved elsewhere you could drop them into 2 units of 6, or even better upgrade them to Dragon Princes (6 model units) which are heaps better than silver helms.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

If you want a monster, go for a Griffon, as it's cheaper than the dragons, but still causes terror and is still a sterling mount choice for a Prince. It can also be wheeled out in most games. Another way of saving points is to go for a mundane lance, and perhaps a cheap magical blade such as the blade of leaping gold.
    Agreed on the archers - they aren't worth the points unless you have core choices you want to make up, or else need more firepower after your rare slots are used up.

With the Sword masters, I wouldn't worry so much about spells impacting them, I'd rather be worried about shooting, as they are only T3 and armour 5+, so any missile protection would be great. Agreed that the unit size is to big, they are worth their salt killing things (SM are really good at killing things, and eac kill is equal to a CR bonus), a line of 7 in the front rank is great, with a 3 attack Blade Lord.

Finally - I like Silver Helms, even if they aren't the shiniest cavalry in the game. If you like them use them, else yes, Dragon Princes are by far the best cavalry choice for HE. I would actually alos put in a unit of Reaver Knights in there, as you have no march-move stoppers in the list, and nothing that will squeeze through the enemy ranks and hit their vulnerable rear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

139 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by kithre
    Another way of saving points is to go for a mundane lance, and perhaps a cheap magical blade such as the blade of leaping gold
    Eh? As far as I am aware, you must choose your weapon at the start of a combat and can't change throughout, and if you have a magic weapon you must use it so the mundane lance would be a waste of points. The only exception is Brets who can use a mundane lance on the charge and a magic weapon in subsequent turns.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

160 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by drifter00 View Post
    Here's my suggestion after playing HE for a couple of years

Prince
    -star lance, dragon armor, shield, star dragon, temakador's gauntlets
    -602 Terrible, terrible. I have yet to hear of a GW employee who knew anything about "playing" the game. Personally, playing with/against the all or nothing big, expensive, shiny characters is not fun contrary to what GW would have you believe and the direction they are taking 7th edition. The dragon is over the top, ridiculous. But if you want to field him, get a book and find a better way of doing it. Vambraces of defense, dragon armor, enchanted shield, lance and you still have points left over and a much better chance of surviving. Personally, I would get a magic weapon, but the lance is cheap.

Mage
    -Lvl 2 Wizard, dispel scroll these guys either need power stones to get drain magic off or make them level 1 and get a noble with radiant gem of hoeth.

Mage
    -Lvl 2 Wizard, silver wand

20 Spearmenneed full command on these.

20 Spearmen

10 Archers either take archers or take spearmen 2units of core, not 3.

20 Sword Masters of Hoeth running 20 is probably not the greatest idea. Having arcane protection is a good idea, but you'll still get killed by shooting.
    -Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of Arcane Protection

10 Silverhelms terrible, don't use silver helms. If you buy them, use them as dragon princes
    -Musician, Standard Bearer, Shields
    I know you're new, so I don't want this to sound harsh, but please look at some of the army lists in the army section. Don't buy anything. Don't listen to the GW staffer. He'll try to sell you a battalion box, or army box or something which is fairly horrible. If you're really going to play fantasy, just like 40k, you need to buy the army book, proxy some models or watch some friends or start small, before you spend tons of money on fancy models that you would never actually play with. Every playing enviroment is different. Find out if people play heavy magic in your area or super uber characters or if they play balanced lists or what. The best thing is to start small and maybe play some smaller game before you get too heavily invested.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

You could combine your spears and archers into two units of sea guard, then you get spears and archers

Also, if you want to take a dragon then go for it, there is more to the game than winning. At the very least he's fun to paint and provides a great centrepiece to the army.

In fact, most of the people who whine about dragons are the people who lose against them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey thanks for all the input everyone
    Would it be worth it to take some white lions of chrace on top of having sword masters of hoeth? Also I am taking some dragon princes now instead of silverhelms, should I take 2 units or is just 1 unit of 5 good enough? I've switched to the griffon mount instead of dragon for my prince also and changed the swordmaster unit to 7X2=14 with the blademaster. I also gave the wizards powerstones instead to cast drain magic. My core is now just two units of 20 spearmen with sentinel, musician and standard bearer. I'm working on the rest as I'm typing this so im hoping someone will get back to me on the white lion thing soon.
    40k Record W-L-T
    Soul Reapers Necrons 8-14-2 Hive Fleet Behemoth Tyranids 21-7-1 Raven Guard Marines 12-6-5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well personally i would go for pheonix guard they have a 4+ward save and they cause fear.but btween SM and WL i would go for SM.they do not have a good save from shooting but they have more attacks(at stentgh 5) WL have 1 attack(strentgh 6) so i would go for SM:happy:

Master of the Crab Women swntzu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    97 (x3)

I am not a fan of 4 magic levels. Having two mages for an archmage means that you have a significant number of points sunk into magic but lack sufficient power dice to really push it home. I would probably for for a single level 1 mage with 2 dispel scrolls but this is largely a personal preference

I have started to like White Lions more due to their lion cloaks as well as the stubborn and woodsmen rules. Swordmasters may have tremendous combat punch but are extremely vulnerable to being shooting on the way in.
    Watch this before posting:
    Posting and You

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kithre View Post
    Another way of saving points is to go for a mundane lance, and perhaps a cheap magical blade such as the blade of leaping gold.
    um maybe you were thinking of a different weapon because isnt BoLG about the most expensive one? not that it isnt great (it makes me miss armor of the gods).

I agree with buckeroo about doing some research and not just listening to gw employees. they're great and all but they are salesmen whose unfortunate job is to point noobs in the direction of the shiniest, newest box. when i was a young noobish lad just starting out i was duped into buying phoenix guard (by blister mind you) for my first HE army. 6th edition phoenix guard = . fortunately, they got majorly pumped up in 7th, so i can actually use those beautiful models. :party:

my personal favorite, however, are swordmasters. the trick is getting them into combat. HE have a severe deficit of screening units. to be honest though, white lions arent all that much more durable.
    Last edited by youcannotwieldit; June 1st, 2008 at 07:32.
    swordmasters=love
    so do grey knights, cuz they're basically swordmasters in space.

+ Reply to Thread