Ogre Kingdoms units in a High Elf army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ogre Kingdoms units in a High Elf army

The recent discussion about RBT and Giant Eagles made me think that nobody actually likes our rare choices that much. Then I remembered about OK DOW, they seem like pretty damn good flankers and even add the possiblity of outnumbering with fear with PG. With so many available rare slots and quite a few people using DOW cannons, I was wondering why ogres aren't normally included.
    Aside from the fact they are a little expensive and would reduce model count, I think the bonuses outweigh the negative factors.
    thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

I think a lot of it is fluff - people don't see HE as an army that would seek mercenaries, especially not ogres, to help them. In reality, I think there would be a lot of DoW units that would be a good help to our army, not least of all DoW cannons.

It seems to be a rare thing to see, try it out and see how it works.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

You can take ogre bulls at a bare minimum. You don't even have to give them anything special, and the enemy will fixate on them. Heck, you could use them to absorb some shooting that allows your white lions and swordmasters to go unmolested. They're an expendable unit.

Or you could take some ironguts which would knock the crap out of someone if unstopped.

It's a good idea. Ogres may be a bit too disorderly for high elves but desperate times call for desperate measures. And perhaps desperate allies.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had given some thought to this, but never actually followed through with it because I felt like I finally put together a list that I really liked playing. Now, I'm starting to get that familiar itch to rebuild a new list. I think I might go ahead and abuse some DoW rules and merge my Ogres with my High Elves. I'll try to remember to post the army and some results from it when I get around to doing it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

Given that HE and Ogres were creations of the old ones, and Ogres were created last of all (with the halflings) it wouldn't be beyond the realms of impossibility that the HE might regard the Ogres as wayward younger cousins or something...disgusting to them, but like the other races of teh Old Ones, a race to be protected, and strengthened against Chaos?

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

High Elves still have extensive territory in the east, and likely have some type of relations with the Ogres. On a fluff level, yes, they MIGHT fight alongside eachother if it was absolutely necessary.

On a gaming note however, few HE lists include them because people probably don't like the models, and consider the addition of DoW units to be unbalancing and therefore unfair.
    In competetive lists though, I'd have no problem taking a nice big unit of leadbelchers. How can anyone complain about adding THAT kind of support to a sturdy elven line? Our rare really is crap, we could make great use of Ogres, or other DoW units.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, a quick throw together 2k list did fairly well against a summoning heavy VC list. We ended the game bordering on a Minor Victory to the Shining Guard (and friends). I'll try to post the list in the Army List section later and get some feedback on modifying it. I threw it together in about 5 minutes, so it's lacking a lot of thought, but was still effective. Not sure if it was the Ogres necessarily that one the match though.

+ Reply to Thread