How Much Magic - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Much Magic

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

How Much Magic

I know with Wood Elves that I tend to bypass magic and go for combat and shooting characters instead, but High Elves have access to better magic.

How do you find yourself balancing magic and combat among your characters? The idea of strong HE casters appeals to me, but they also seem very fragile.

Do you opt for magic defense with a scroll caddy or two, or more for magic offense?

Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

Definitely magic defence. If you go magic offence with HE you can easily spend a third of your points on characters in a 2k game, which putsa big dent in what you can buy for the rest of the army for a couple of t3 models with no armour.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

High Elves have the ability to take some very agressive magic, or shut down the oppoent's magic. Unfortunately, we can't specialize in both at once.
    Our Dragon Mages are extremely offensive, especially when backed by another small mage. Giving one of these guys the Silver Wand lets him take full advantage of being 'reckless' and give you the ability to bombard the opponent with spells. Add the ring of fury, and you have a mage who can help in combat, hunt warmachines or lone wizards, and also cast a bound-spell each turn along with 3 other 'reckless' aided spells. In addition, we can tool up our other mages to ensure we get the spells we want, or more spells, or bonuses casting, or more dice, or whatever else we want.
    On the other hand, we can select a different set of items or different spells to totally shut down the magic phase for our enemy. Taking High-Magic gives us +1 to dispell, plus we can cast the spell which makes it nigh impossible for enemy casters to get good rolls. We have a scroll that removes a spell from the caster's mind, we have a trinket that makes him re-roll miscasts, any number of things.
    High Elf magic is very potent, and can be used in whatever style fits you or fits your opponent. I usually take magic over our CC generals, just because our troops are just fine at CC, but need magic as "artillery support" to ensure that they reach the enemy.
    Magic is largely a player choice though. It's expensive, so I guess in my case, I could take more infantry and pad my losses, rather than a 200+pt mage to get them into combat.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    125 (x4)

I tend to go with a lvl. 4 with some defence and a lvl. 2 with offence. As the lvl. 4 will manage himself with offence and defence, the lvl. 2 can deal with pure offence.
    with the combination I use I get 9-12 PD+ ring, 6 DD+ scroll and remove one of his PD.
    I also take high magic for my archmage so I get +1 to dispel.

Soooo, that's 2 character slots and I still have room for a BSB and a damage dealing noble though I often drop this guy, he's not really needed.

All round it's pretty even, but I go with a bit more magic than melee/ranged.

Regards,
    5000p. High Elves
    1000p. Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    Taking High-Magic gives us +1 to dispell, plus we can cast the spell which makes it nigh impossible for enemy casters to get good rolls.
    All mages get +1 to dispel, not just those that take High Magic.

I like a good magic offense, but I do find some things about High Elf magic annoy me. Other races can get similarly powerful wizards for far fewer points, and although we do get some good, fairly cheap magic items, the removal of the honours system makes it harder to tool up mages to be as powerful as High Elf mages should be due to the fact that each mage is only allowed one arcane item. Still, there's not much I can do about that.

I would usually take a Lvl 4 Archmage over a Prince at 2k unless I wanted to run a Prince on dragon (not very often until 3k I think), and I would usually have at least one Lvl 2 to back him up, plus a BSB, and the fourth slot is up for grabs depending on how I feel.
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Yeah, I remember when the Seer, Channeller, Silver-Wand was the most powerful Lvl2 mage you could ask for. Essentially a lvl3 mage for 1K armies.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First you have to decide if you want to be offensive or defensive in the magic phase.
    Second, you have to decide HOW Defensive/Offensive you should be.

For minimum defence (and defence only!) just take a lvl 1 scrollcaddy.
    In extreme situations there can be good with 2 caddys, but that is rarelly any good.

For max offence, an archmage and 2 (in extreme cases; 3) lvl 2 mages.
    (Keep in mind, that increased offence allso gives you some more defence.)

I'd advise to go for either More tan 4 lvls of magic, or Less than 2. 2-4 lvls won't get much done and is mostly a pure waste of points.
    The only exceptio to this is a lvl 4 Archmage with the Book of Hoeth. If you take him, don't get any other mages. The book is there to bypass his anti-magic. If you have a lvl 2 mage as well, your opponent will have most of his DD, scrolls etc ready to use, so your lvl 2 mage won't do any good anyway - Pure waste of points.

So either get a lvl 1 scrollcaddy

or

An Archmage and atleast one lvl 2 mage.
    If it moves, shoot it! If it doesn't move, shoot it anyway ... It might move later!

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

Highe elves are inheritly more magic defensive than offsenive. They get a +1 to dispel and Drain magic is cumulutive. XZ has a point. the higher level mage you get, the more dispel dice you get in addition to power dice. I prefer more magic so I usually field at least 2 mages, not counting dragonmage. Usually in the from of one archmage and a lesser level 2 mage as a scroll caddy. I give the dragonmage a dispel scroll if i have the extra points. If you go archmage, the best item to get is the Book of Hoeth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Book of Hoeth is the best item if you only got an Archmage, sience any other mages will get everything (or most) of their spells dispelled anyway.

Power up the Archmage with other items, unless he is your only mage.
    If it moves, shoot it! If it doesn't move, shoot it anyway ... It might move later!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a similar topic, how much in characters? I'm working on a list thats designed to fight VC magic heavy. My goal was to completely shut down the VC magic phase. If I fail to cast both of the magic drains with the 4 PD dice I have for each (Overkill to the point of risking a miscast, I know!). Then I abort mission and Vortex Shard him that round.

I think its would work great.

7 dispel dice, 2 scrolls, vortex shard, 2 mages dedicated to magic drain and the HE +1 to dispel. Yet I wanted combat characters so its way overkill in characters. I didn't want to have characters only exist to beat out a bunch of magic vampires.

So, how far can you play in the hero hammer game in 2k and 3k? I can't judge it well on my little experience. I've seen lone uber characters die to units and get ran down. I've seen lone uber characters take down whole units in one round of combat.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast