Can a tiranoc chariot Army work??? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can a tiranoc chariot Army work???

hey there, am a fairly new high elf player - although experienced with warhammer generally. i have always been drawn to the idea of loads of chariots thundering over open ground. the fluff seems to encourage tiranoc armies - called the Wind Riders - as a legitimet and characterful army selection. i tend to play 1500 pts at my local club and was thinking of the following army:

Mage - 2nd level, ring of fury, silver wand, tiranoc chariot

Mage - 2nd level, dispel scroll, skiensliver, tiranoc chariot

Battle standard bearer, banner of sorcery, tiranoc chariot

15 spearmen, full command
    15 spearmen, full command

5 x tiranoc chariots

2 x great eagle

all this works out at just shy of 1,500 pts

the thinking behind it is to have the two core units support the centre, advancing slowly with the general (ring of fury mage) between the two to discourage unwanted charges. five chariots - with the bsb centrally, will take one flank and the other two plus eagles on the other - the eagles will obviously be making a beeline for war machines and fast cavalry. the chariots will refused flank depending on the most immediate threat. i should get the first turn ( due to all war machines deploying at the same time, small no of units and the skiensliver ) so i would hopefully only have to deal with one turn of enemy shooting - two at most. then multiple chariot charges should wipe the floor with whatever dares to oppose me.

before i spend the next year assembling and painting the chariots (not such a chore as the models are fantastic) is this a viable army - or will i get caned?

any ideas/recommendations/suggestions/abuse gratefully recieved.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

The reliance on an all or nothing is going to be the detah of you - against some armies such as Woodies, they will just sit in the woods and laugh at you. Others such as Dwarves or EMpire can bring in lots of high strength hits to crack open a significant proportion of your force, and the chariots will have to break the enemy on teh charge, if they fail on this, then you have a bogged down combat with something that will win by dint of CR, fatal against Undead...

Against some armies this may work a treat, I would however recommend that the characters not be put on chariots, especially the BSB, that is just free VPs to the enemy...

Rather than the BSB, take a small unit of White Lions or PG and take the banner of sorcery, and deploy the mages on foot. Then have a standard noble on a chariot, perhaps wearing Dragon armour (there are a few fire-based attacks out there!) and with sacred incense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

Have to agree with the things that Kithre has said. Chariot armies at times are going to get beaten badly while others you will find it will fare well...

Although I must say that a chariot army has some potential against Wood Elves.

If you want to play a full chariot army then Tomb Kings could be the way to go, as you can bring them back from the dead after a cannon ball as long as one chariot in the unit is alive, and the fact that they are units can be fun...

I think though there is also the struggle that you would have against the undead... you can hit them as hard as you want with chariots but they won't break and I have found that the minute that a chariot unit has to fight a second round of combat then it will more than likely flee...

Those are just some of my feelings. I would never put characters on chariots though it could be risky, and you can find your character stuck in the middle of the battlefield with no wehere to hide.
    There is nothing more annoying when your Wyches with Plasma Grenades get "Always strikes First" for their combat drugs!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

I think the Potential against Wood Elves is only really there if the wood elf army decides not to use woods and other cover, as then yes, they probbaly will get butchered. However, if I was a Wood Elf player playing this army, my entire army would be sitting in and around that free 6" wood (even if there is no other terrain) and I would be treesinging till the cows came home...

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Yeah, while it sounds good on paper, it's actually high on the list of things to steer clear of. Remember, a Chariot cannot march, so a chariot actually moves 1inch slower than our infantry. Mix in the entire issue with CR and HSH's and you have a very vulnerable army. Worse yet- not only can HSHs hurt us, but basic shooting from a LONGBOW can waste a signifigant section of the army. Not to mention Handguns, which can actually kill not only the riders, but the entire chariot as well.

I considered the army because yes, the chariots are truly beautiful, but I have a few suggestions of my own:

1- all characters either on foot, or mounted. chariots are too fragile and a crash can concievably be the death-knell for a mage.

2- add in either elite infantry, or Ellyrion Reavers or Silver Helms. You could really use the static CR given by a banner and a good charge of US 10-12 in the flank. Or, a nice static CC unit in the middle so that the Chariots can set themselves up for flank charges.

3- a PwrLvl5 Bound Spell won't really stop charges my friend... sorry- they'll likely dispell it.

I would go ahead with army if you have an alternative army/list to use. This would not be too competetive, so I'd be sure to have a change of pace around.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

+ Reply to Thread