Plea for army pick help :D - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Plea for army pick help :D

Good evening to all,

As I have posted around before, the High Elves are quite new to me. I have played them way back in the day, but army select rules were quite different back then.

I currently purchaced a plastic hero box set, a plastic archers box set, and a plastic chariot box set. I have the armybook, of course.

Including those models, how would you suggest I build my first force? It does not need to be fancy, just something to start and grow with. I can add all the "bells and whistles" later.

Thank you for your time, in my plea.

Hehe

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

You definatly need a unit of Spearmen and a mage. Thing about High elves though is its mostly "bells and whistles" I have yet to see a mostly core troops army. Though you might want some silver helms if you aren't going to get dragon princes. They aren't as powerful, but they are good beginner calvary, that and reavers. I think you should definatly get some swordmasters.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

You only have 1 archers box, which only menas a single core, so when you expand out to >1000 pts, you will have to have a second core.

Spearmen are the best early core choice - and if you combine the archer sprues with the Spearman sprues, you get a nice Sea Guard regiment or two. After that - I would say you need a mage, as already suggested. And for Special choices, I would certainly opt for Phoenix Guard first, as they are resilient (4+ ward) cause fear (which is nice) and are lovely models...

Also, the Repeater bolt thrower is a nice kit, and it also a very handy piece of weaponry - it's the easiest way of getting S6 attacks into a High Elf army, apart from White Lions and Dragons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Thank you for all the opinions so far.

Actually, the models that were stated were some I already liked, so I do not think starting a force will be all that hard :}

What type of noble, would anyone suggest, for my starter force? I have always been a bit weary of slapping my general on a mount, and then sending him off down the field. So much so, I rarely do so. Any suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too bad the Silverhelms aren't core anymore...You could do that (Dragon Princes are very fancy for a starting army i guess Also for ~ 1k points hehe )
    I would not go for the silverhelms and the noble on mount if you start right now. That unit will sprint away from your army, leaving the rest alone...If you use them for flanken it's a bit of a waste since you will have an expensive unit waiting to flank in a 1k battle.
    I'd suggest to take a Noble on foot for now, and mount him if you fancy up the army a bit. That time will come soon i guess

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Hmm... I would suggest thinking a bit about what tactics you prefer.
    If you are going to go with alot of cavalry then you won't want spears, but rather archers.
    If you plan on running an infantry predominant list, I'd obviously look towards some small unit of elites for flankers.
    If it's a balanced force you're looking for, I'd roll with spears, ellyrions, an RBT, and a mage. Silver Helms are typically a steer-clear unit. In bigger games you will find yourself dropping them for DPs because of the points difference and the statlines. If you want heavy cav, run the DPs from the outset. The Ellyrions will give you a good flanking unit, and will roll over into a cavalry list or stick in with a balance. You can always use fast cav.

Finally, there ARE units to steer clear from- namely, any of the chariots. Shadow Warriors are also an iffy unit, and the Silver Helms of course. Lothern Seaguard are a running argument in my area, as I prefer to take them in small defensive games, but most people tend to drop them when you need more than just 1 core unit. They are just too expensive.

I hope this helps you somewhat.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

+ Reply to Thread