Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Hi, I'm going through a bit of a dilemma: What's better, a level 2 mage with 40 pts of magic items and 10 crossbowman (Dogs of War), or 15 Phoenix Guard with a Full Command Group.
I have space for both in my army, so I'd like to hear from you!
Here are some little things I have gathered about each side:
Great against low leadership armies, like Goblins and Skaven. Have a save that isn't going to go down.
- Phoenix Guard: 4+ Ward save, Cause Fear, Heavy Armour:
Helps the weak artilery (as in not strength 4) to get to what men and dwarfs use. Have no save, but put them on a hill with Archers and Lothern Seaguard, and they are going to have one hell of a party.
- Dogs of War: Crossbows
Will add to power dice and dispel dice. Not that I really need it, with a level 4 archmage, level 2 mage and a level 1 prince (radiant gem of hoeth) in my army already, but will help. If you want to see my full army, It's "Friendly 3,000pt Army" in the army lists section.
- Mage: Level 2, 40 pts of magic items
simplyput we cant have dogs of war also It depends who your playing
We can have dogs of war. I think I should bookmark the following page, because the amount of times I have had to reference it here is astonishing.Source.Note on DoW from Gav Thorpe.
There's a variety of reasons for removing the reference to DOW in the forthcoming army books, and these are the main ones:
1. The rules detailing how to include DOW in an army are included in the DOW list/ articles. Therefore if you have access to those rules you have access to how they can be added to your army.
2. We may wish to revise the way DOW work in the future, and while we continue to perpetuate the current rules for them in the army books this will be very difficult to do. Our intent is that the DOW rules, should we produce a proper supplement, will be entirely self-contained and require no references in the army books.
Neither of these are intended as a signal that we are never going to do/ immediately going to do (delete as appropriate) a Dogs of War supplement. They are simply a sort of house-cleaning procedure that leaves us clear to evaluate and pursue the correct course of action regarding Dogs of War in the future.
So you download the DoW rules (linked on the above page) and see what is available to your army and they are legal even though they aren't mentioned in the new books.
As to the original question, without looking at the army list but seeing how much magic you have I think the Phoenix Guard would be a better choice. They look cooler and suit a HE army more than DoW do.
I also think the PG will be better. It does depend on who you are playing, but as you said, you don't really need the extra dice from the Mage because you are already loaded. If you don't need more magic, then which do you need more: shooting or infantry?
High Elf WiP Tactica
what else is in your army? I'd drop the crossbowmen like a hot brick - they have no purpose in a HE army unless you're completely out of models and can't sub. I do like having multiple mages though for magic defense. My phoenix guard rarely kill anything, but they do have the ward save and good initiative plus they cause fear, so that's one less test to take.
Phoneix Guard are nice to take on large enemy blocks - 4+ save after a 5+ armour save makes them resilient (only a 1/3 chance of fluffing it against S3 opponents like Orcs) and Fear means they can do several things:
1) Autobreak enemy units which are not ItP
2) Cause enemies not ItP to take Fear tests, and potentially hit on 6s
3) Not need to take Fear tests themselves against most enemies except Terror causes (who rarely if ever outnumber them). Now if you can make the unit Stubborn (like adding Korhil) then you have an excellent unit to hold up whatever the enemy throws at you.
Dogs of war X-bows are just plain wrong - would prefer to see a Repeater Bolt Thrower with its superior range and ability to shoot 6 S4 bolts wihich are AP, and a lower level mage in a High Elf army than 10 stinking humans with no finesse and who are interested solely on profit, not the defense of the realm....