Themed Armies? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Themed Armies?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Themed Armies?

I was just looking through the GW page on High Elves when i came across a Themed Armies article.

Some of these included A Chrace Themed Army. A Hoeth Themed Army and a Fast Cavalry themed army.

Are themed armies a good idea? Was jus curious to see what people though of them.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Alot of armies here on the boards are themed, although we never really get reports back as to their usefulness. Here's what I can come up with however:

Caledor- this is the ultimate themed army, because it's so powerful. It hearkens back to the days of the too-powerful All Cavalry armies. Now it just has more attacks and a few spearmen. This is the army that I chose to play, because I have too much cavalry left over from last edition.

Chrace- another good army, as it's arguable that WLs are our best elite infantry. However, their chariots are among our worst. All in all, it'd be a good army and very resilient to shooting. You'd need banner of Ellyrion in it somewhere though, since everyone except Regular units moves through cover.

Hoeth- yet another awesome army. Not quite perfect, as there are certainly things that you don't want to put SMs against (missiles of any kind), but heavy magic is certainly a way to win with our High Elves, and you can bet with Hoeth you'd have a great army. I made a pretty good, and very fluffy, Hoeth army for somebody on here, you could probably track him down and figure out how it went.

Legion of the Phoenix King- all PGs, and actually not half bad, except that you miss out on our heaviest hitters. Kind of a 75% effectiveness army. Always fun to toss in the Aenarion twins though... then it becomes a 150% effective army, and a flaming ball of smelly foot cheese.

Army of Ellyrion (Fast Cavalry)- no. There are armies who do this far better than we do. Our fast cavalry, and our skirmishers, are all specials and compete for spots. If we had core fast, or core skirmish, i could see this as a viable list. However, our skirmishers and fast cavalry are pricey and ineffective, leaving our mandatory slow-guys unsupported.

Muster of Tirranoc (Charioters)- again, probably a no. We have a viable chariot list, as our T.Chariots are pretty good for their cost. But then again, they aren't very tough. Tomb Kings can manage this army because they can regenerate chariots. We can't, so our horde of chariots is going to fall prey to cannons and high strength hits just as often as they make their impacts.

Altogether, fluff-lists are alot of fun. Luckily, many of them DO win, but if you want a real winner, you have to make the combined-arms lists that you see alot of people churning out. The High Elf army does a fairly good job of covering it's weaknesses as well as any Elite fantasy army can. Fluff lists knock down this ability signifigantly, but benefit from being a cohesive, single-minded force.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

fluff lists don't have to be bad.My army is themed about a high elf army under the comand of a cult of pleasure follower. I can include everything I want itr just requires a bit of modeling

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

gingerninja has been using my Chrace themed list ([2000] Lions of Chrace) to reportedly great effect in the past few games he's told me about. Says it's a ton of fun and while it may not be as uber effective as other builds, it can still win with solid strategy. His first game testing the list out for me, he said he got a minor victory over the new Dark Elfs. Cool stuff!

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

I think that the question was largely aimed towards creating Realm-Themed lists, although I'd like to see that Cult of Pleasure list. I'm guessing that it's Pre-Sundering?

I did not say that the lists were not 'good'. There are just some lists which will have more victories against a wider array of foes. The Chracian, Caledorian, Sapherian, and Phoenix Legion lists would be the three most effective themes respectively. The Ellyrians would be good against armies like the Wood Elves and Beastmen, while Tirranoc would serve you well against Orcs.

Lost Nemesis, I was the last one to post suggestions in your Chracian army. I'm guessing that GN is using the list as you last edited it. Or has he taken any of my suggestions into account?
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    Lost Nemesis, I was the last one to post suggestions in your Chracian army. I'm guessing that GN is using the list as you last edited it. Or has he taken any of my suggestions into account?
    The list as I last edited it, though his later games, he tweaked a few things himself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

The bulk of my force was an Ellyrion themed army, where the core are archers and spears, and the rest consists of special choices of Silver Helms and Reaver Knights. Not as effective as many lists, but nice to play. The commander rides a Pegasus which "counts as" an Eagle, and all the characters are mounted.
    Given I have close to 40 Silver Helms (mostly older designs) and about a dozen Reavers, this is teh bulk of my army.

I also have enough Dragons/Princes to make a Caledor themed army, and I have enough Repeaters (old and new designs) and Sea Guard to do a Lothern themed force. The one thing I lack is a strong force of phoenix Guard, though I think I have a few blisters of teh old models in the full-length mail skirts spacked away somewhere.

White Lions - I can do a small force from Chrace, again relying on citizen soldiers to bulk out as I only have around 20 White Lions i my army.

+ Reply to Thread